The Student Room Group

University vs. No University

Hello,

This is my first post so not sure if I am in the correct forum section. Even though it is still a few months until I apply to university, I still don't see any of the courses available as very interesting. I am under a huge amount of pressure from parents and teachers to go to university. Surprisingly for GCSEs I received 8A* 1A 1B and an A (highest grade possible) for a FSMQ in Maths. I also haven't been slacking at all this year at school so hopefully my results are representative of my hard work.

I have researched possible apprenticeships such as IBM or Nestle. Their requirements are very low for application which puts me off a bit just because I don't want my hard work to be wasted. Do people even go on these apprenticeships and go on to have sound careers? Are there any other apprenticeships that ask for higher grades?

On the other hand should I just suck it up and go to University? I have looked at chemical engineering and think it is my best bet to grind out over the next 4 years. But in all honesty I am a bit fed up with full time education and just want to work, work, work. However I do appreciate that this will be corrosive to my future.

A last note, I am a very determined individual. My GCSE results were a surprise to everyone, at the beginning of the year I was just a standard student, however through hard work slowly I improved. Would it be a waste of my talents just not to go to uni, I guess is my true question?
Reply 1
Honestly I think it would be a waste. University adds a lot to potential earning power and you have excellent grades. Work is as much or more of a grind than uni surely? You might miss out on your potential
Reply 2
Original post by GreyBeard
Hello,

This is my first post so not sure if I am in the correct forum section. Even though it is still a few months until I apply to university, I still don't see any of the courses available as very interesting. I am under a huge amount of pressure from parents and teachers to go to university. Surprisingly for GCSEs I received 8A* 1A 1B and an A (highest grade possible) for a FSMQ in Maths. I also haven't been slacking at all this year at school so hopefully my results are representative of my hard work.

I have researched possible apprenticeships such as IBM or Nestle. Their requirements are very low for application which puts me off a bit just because I don't want my hard work to be wasted. Do people even go on these apprenticeships and go on to have sound careers? Are there any other apprenticeships that ask for higher grades?

On the other hand should I just suck it up and go to University? I have looked at chemical engineering and think it is my best bet to grind out over the next 4 years. But in all honesty I am a bit fed up with full time education and just want to work, work, work. However I do appreciate that this will be corrosive to my future.

A last note, I am a very determined individual. My GCSE results were a surprise to everyone, at the beginning of the year I was just a standard student, however through hard work slowly I improved. Would it be a waste of my talents just not to go to uni, I guess is my true question?

I didn't go, and I'm glad, but i had tonnes of work experience by the end of Sixth Form, and walked into a full-time job.

We have different skill sets though, and I'd you're more scientifically minded, you need to go to uni.
There are lots of apprenticeship options, and I think the government is trying to support apprentices more...

Consider Rolls Royce (I'm working there this summer, and most of the apprentices seem to have good grades), KPMG, Deloite, etc.
Hello,

It sounds like you don't want to go to uni. If the idea doesn't enthuse you at all, do you think you could manage 3-4 years of a challenging course?

A engineering degree would definitely open a lot of doors to you. And not just within the engineering industry. It has the sort of transferable skills where you could work in most industries. Particularly if you'd be interested in management/finance/moving up a career ladder.

Of course, in 4 years of uni you could already work your way up an apprenticeship scheme. But, depending on where you see yourself in 10 years, it could impose a ceiling on your career (unless you're totally exceptional).
Hello,

Like most people are saying, uni sounds like a must for you. Compared to an apprenticeship, you'll probably be earning alot more as a graduate from a well recognised uni
Reply 6
Take a look at the University of London external programmes, they are distance learning degrees which are much cheaper than attending university:-

http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/courses/search/?solrsort=sort_title%20asc&filters=%20tid%3A557

If this doesn't suit, then definately attend university if possible, ideally one of the Russell Group universities.
You don't need to go straight from A Levels. It's better to take time out to think about what you want to do instead of wasting money on a course you don't want to do which will limit student finance in the future.
Reply 8
Look for Higher Apprenticeships, many of these will work towards a foundation degree/professional qualifications. My sister did an Operations Management apprenticeship with GE and they offer engineering apprenticeships too. Her salary went from around £16k to £25k now on her first "real" job outside the apprenticeship, and she's starting a top-up course to turn her foundation degree into a full degree in September. All that with NO student debt!

Apprenticeships are really hit and miss in terms of salary and quality, but there are plenty out there that will pay enough for you to relocate and experience independent living. If you don't want to go to University, it's definitely a good option. I wish apprenticeships had been more in the picture when I left school, because I went to Uni because everyone told me it'd be "a waste" if I didn't, and although I had fun and got a good degree, it really hasn't enhanced my prospects any more than a good apprenticeship would have done. If anything, it's holding me back.
Reply 9
Do not attend university for the sake of doing so, or out of some misguided sense of civic duty: do it to make yourself more employable in three years than you would otherwise be in six, or to enter a profession that actually requires the attendant degree.

Alas, the majority of students contrary to their namesake aren't actually very bright, so will incur hideous debt (both fiscal and temporal) being rigorously tutored in a discipline with few practical applications which they could equally have mastered in their own free-time through the adroit use of libraries and Wikipedia; as if university reading-lists are a closely-guarded secret, or cross-referencing some kind of arcane scholastic art-form. Don't succumb to that pressure.
You can go on a school leavers programme like KPMG

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

Take a year or two out as gap years, work for a bit, and then see how you feel then. You dont have to go to university now
Hello,

You seem to have my exact problem. I don't see any courses that are that interesting tbh, or if they are, I'm either not suited to it or it's a waste of time.....or both!
If you take 2-3 years out and work you'll be gagging to get back into education and further yourself after a taste of the job market especially with no experience or degree. It isn't fun, and with your potential you'll feel wasted. Maybe the break is the eye opener you need.
I finished Sixth Form 5 years ago, managed to get a full-time job straight from school, which I've gained loads of experience from and I've matured so much because of it. I'll be going to Uni this September to study Business Management full-time, a course that I never thought I'd ever want to do when I was a school student!

What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to go straight from school. So many people told me that it was a waste and that I wasn't 'using my full potential', which is bull**** for a start, plus I was like you are, I wanted to work and earn money and do something else other than study. Now, I can't wait to do my course and go to Uni because I know I'm ready to do it.

I know that I made the right choice for me, mainly because I wasn't a sheep and I didn't follow the crowd and go to uni like everyone else in my year did. If you don't want to go straight away, then don't, wait and see what happens, get a job, get some experience - I guarantee that employers will favour you because of it. If you decide that you want to go to Uni later on, then do it when you're ready, but don't let parents/teachers etc pressure you into it, because it's not their lives that'll be ruined if you make the wrong decision!
Hello,

Tbh if I were you and didn't want to go uni I'd first research what apprenticeships are like. Working is a lot harder and demanding, and at the end of apprenticeships you do get some reward but ultimately not as much as a degree would obviously give for a lot less demanding work, just studying. Not saying university degrees aren't hard because they obviously are but they're not as work demanding as a 9-to-5 job with barely any pay since it's an Apprenticeship not an actual job.

Most people who don't go to uni regret it because it's a unique experience to be able to enjoy the life of being a free young adult while you can before you have to go into the world of work, whilst studying what you love at the highest level possible, and gaining a solid degree which when coupled with a bit of experience can get you almost anywhere you want. Apprenticeships can get you to high positions but at a slower pace sometimes and sometimes these high positions are limited and usually not as high as the roles graduates are given directly to.

If university doesn't appeal whatsoever to you, which it can btw, no one is forcing you to go to university it's your life - then maybe apply for any of the apprenticeships you mentioned or a job for the year and see how it goes. If you end up hating it, you can quit the apprenticeship after a year or so, add that year experience to your CV and then go uni the following year like a gap year. The good thing about university is there's no age limit.

Really it's up to you to just find which is more appealing. At the end of the day don't listen to others and don't go to uni just because people tell you to or your academic background or any of those reasons. Do what you want to do. :smile:

The only reason apprenticeship requirements are low is because most skills are learnt during the apprenticeship and it's a practical qualification - rather than university where instead of doing practical office work you'll be studying books etc so you need to have that something to show you're capable of that demand (that something being your A-Levels/Level 3 qual).
Take time out after a levels to really think about what you want to do. Don't just go to uni because you feel forced. I finished my a levels 4 years ago with not the best of grades and I'm going to uni this year to do a business management degree. I was set on doing geography/geology at uni because it was what I was being told to look at. I took time out and have worked and now I know what I actually want to be doing and I'm going to go do that instead. Take the time out after a levels to find what you want to do rather than just going for the sake of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem with university: Nobody garantuees you a job afterwards in a field you like to work in. To get the grades you need to get into the top companies, regardless of the economic situation in the year you finish, is tough and by no means a given, especially for people, who are only doing the degree to be able to work in their chosen field, so not driven by any competitive character or an intense love for hours alone at the desk. (A bit exagerated, but sadly not untrue.) Hence a higher apprenticeship in a field, where you really want to end up is a very good option and as already said, the option to do a degree just a bit later is often there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending