The Student Room Group

Higher Chemistry 2015 - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Can't believe I'm posting on here because I've never been in a chemistry classroom, the closest I've come to chemistry is my pastoral care teacher being a chem teacher lol, I haven't even did nat 4 chemistry or anything but I'm considering crashing it.. I have LEARNT one or two things from nat 5 - homoglous series, balancing chemical eq - the basic stuff

I won't say that I'm not a science person because I am and I find it easy to understand, especially biology, but chemistry is like some sort of complex language with all of it's chemical elements, and to be honest kind of intrigues/scares me at the same time.

I wouldn't mind an A, but obviously I need to be more realistic and steer towards a B.. Ive never done this before, so I don't expect top marks and high grades. However I learn extremely fast and can remember minute (sometimes even unnecessary) details.

I won't officially declare myself a novice just now until I actually see if it's worthwhile and something I will enjoy.
Hi folks!
I would like some recommendations on what textbooks to buy for the CfE Higher Chemistry & Biology. I'm thinking about going for Leckie & Leckie but the ones published by Hodder look good too.
Original post by whereisnic
Hi folks!
I would like some recommendations on what textbooks to buy for the CfE Higher Chemistry & Biology. I'm thinking about going for Leckie & Leckie but the ones published by Hodder look good too.

I was wondering the same thing.
Hi folks!
Need some help/advice. I haven't managed to cover the entire S Grade text in time for me starting my Higher Chemistry ( I start on 24th August). I've been swotting up on calculations, the mole etc, hydrocarbons, acids and alkalis. Has anyone completed the new CfE Higher? What should I know ( of by heart) for starting the Higher?
Hi folks!
Need some help/advice. I haven't managed to cover the entire S Grade text in time for me starting my Higher Chemistry ( I start on 24th August). I've been swotting up on calculations, the mole etc, hydrocarbons, acids and alkalis. Has anyone completed the new CfE Higher? What should I know ( of by heart) for starting the Higher?

Since you are only studying two highers then you really shouldn't be worrying. This is higher chemistry, not advanced quantum mechanics, you'll be able to pick it up as you go along

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by langlitz
Since you are only studying two highers then you really shouldn't be worrying. This is higher chemistry, not advanced quantum mechanics, you'll be able to pick it up as you go along

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I was feeling really positive until I had a look at an old 'How to Pass Higher Chemistry' and the author's foreward/introduction said something along the lines of "if you got a 1 or 2 in standard grade and want to try Higher, then it's not a walk in the park, only 25% of people taking it actually get a pass etc". It was far from encouraging.
Original post by Mystery.
I was wondering the same thing.

Hi folks!

I didn't buy any textbooks or nothing for the old higher and got an A. And there isn't really much difference between the old and new courses... My advice would be to hold off getting a textbook/model paper book until asking your teacher if you need them and asking them what ones they recommend. If you find old past papers aren't relevant to the new higher course I would recommend getting model papers, I'd imagine you could still use old higher past papers anyway though...

Anyway imo textbooks are crap, you get all your notes from class anyway, Leckie Leckie is good but I often find the "Ho to pass" series a little less "in your face" and a bit simpler to read...idk thogu as I said I didn't use either :P
Hi folks!

See for biology definitely go for the James Torrence ones with answers, they are great to use as help guides and so on. If it's more study guides definitely bright red(i think that's what it's called) and also you can use Herriot-Watts University Scholar page as a reference!!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeekendWrecker
See for biology definitely go for the James Torrence ones with answers, they are great to use as help guides and so on. If it's more study guides definitely bright red(i think that's what it's called) and also you can use Herriot-Watts University Scholar page as a reference!!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a look at Heriot-Watt's Scholar page but I don't have a password etc to log in. Does anybody have one that I can use?
Original post by SCHOLARuk
Every non-private secondary school in Scotland has access to SCHOLAR. Please ask your teacher, who should be able to help you gain access to your username and password so you can log in and use SCHOLAR for registered subjects!

Thank you for your reply. I am going to be at Edinburgh College.
Howw everyone finding the course so far? What point are you at? What did you get at National 5?
Original post by ElasticJane
Howw everyone finding the course so far? What point are you at? What did you get at National 5?

I haven't done National 5 or Standard Grade! I am 36 year old ex nurse ( got my degree in 2004). I have been teaching myself the basics. I started the course on Monday 31st August @ Edinburgh College. My lecturer, Alisdair Kellock is amazing. He told us that we will be doing lots of practical work as he believes that is the best way to learn, rather than just reading about them in textbooks. We did an experiment with the HCl & CaCO3 marble chips, to measure the rate of reaction. There are 17 in my class, I'm the oldest,lol.
I have chemistry twice a week; Mon afternoon and Friday morning.
We made slime in Chemistry today xD
Original post by ElasticJane

We have finished Unit 1 pretty much, one more lesson to go. I'm finding it really interesting so far, I got an A in National 5. What about you?
Got an A at nat5 too, sitting the first NAR on the 23rd
Reply 35
Original post by SCHOLARuk
Every non-private secondary school in Scotland has access to SCHOLAR. Please ask your teacher, who should be able to help you gain access to your username and password so you can log in and use SCHOLAR for registered subjects!

But I'm at a private school and have access to Scholar for all of my subjects...
Reply 36
I really don't like the James Torrance CfE Higher Biology textbook, it has far too much un necessary information. Don't get me wrong the questions in it are good but the notes, not so much. I use other things except that
We have finished Unit 1 pretty much, one more lesson to go. I'm finding it really interesting so far, I got an A in National 5. What about you?

You've almost finished unit 1 already ??!! We have to do another 2 chapters and I thought that the pace was quite good.. How was the controlling rates/chemical reactions chapter cause that's what I'm doing next ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasim-98
You've almost finished unit 1 already ??!! We have to do another 2 chapters and I thought that the pace was quite good.. How was the controlling rates/chemical reactions chapter cause that's what I'm doing next ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did that back in June and it's quite good, lots of experiments in it.
We did that back in June and it's quite good, lots of experiments in it.

In terms of the theory is it quite difficult? I saw a few equations/formulas as I flicked through the first pages... Usually the first part of the course is normally straightforward, I hope this is the case anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending