The Student Room Group

Starting College/6th Form in September THREAD

Hello, sweethearts! :3 This is a thread for all of us who are starting college/sixth form in September 2015. Where are you going? What courses will you do? Are you excited to start? Well... Let me start off! ^_^

I will be going to Richmond Upon Thames College or Gumley Sixth Form (can't decide, oops), and I want to do A-levels in Psychology, French, Polish, History and probs English Language + EPQ. I am soooooo excited to start, I can't wait for September! ;3

Current sixth-formers, free welcome to discuss, give advise and whatsoever to all of us newbies. :> Hope you'll enjoy! xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeamRocket4ever
Hello, sweethearts! :3 This is a thread for all of us who are starting college/sixth form in September 2015. Where are you going? What courses will you do? Are you excited to start? Well... Let me start off! ^_^

I will be going to Richmond Upon Thames College or Gumley Sixth Form (can't decide, oops), and I want to do A-levels in Psychology, French, Polish, History and probs English Language + EPQ. I am soooooo excited to start, I can't wait for September! ;3

Current sixth-formers, free welcome to discuss, give advise and whatsoever to all of us newbies. :> Hope you'll enjoy! xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I've just finished my AS year, doing Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies! :biggrin: Just out of interest, do you know what exam board you'll be doing in Psychology? Just curious cause I've done both OCR and AQA.
Reply 2
I'm at the end of Year 12, and I did History, English Literature, Philosophy, Psychology and General Studies. I'd be happy to give advice with any of these subjects, and also regarding 6th form in general :smile:
Hi - I'm off to my school's sixth form and I'm doing A2 maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emiloujess
Hi, I've just finished my AS year, doing Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies! :biggrin: Just out of interest, do you know what exam board you'll be doing in Psychology? Just curious cause I've done both OCR and AQA.

Hello! :3 Both of the schools which I've applied to follow the AQA syllabus, and it looks quite interesting. :-) I am actually trying to avoid any OCR courses as much as I can, as I found their syllabus for Geography B (GCSE) so boring (and the Controlled Assessment was a nightmare) that it has literally killed my passion for that subject.. Long story short, I just dislike OCR... I would actually say that I hate them <(^~^)>

How did you find Psychology at AS? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hopefully going to Woodhouse College in September :smile: I will be studying:
Law
Government and Politics
English Language
and Business Studies
Hello! :3 Both of the schools which I've applied to follow the AQA syllabus, and it looks quite interesting. :-) I am actually trying to avoid any OCR courses as much as I can, as I found their syllabus for Geography B (GCSE) so boring (and the Controlled Assessment was a nightmare) that it has literally killed my passion for that subject.. Long story short, I just dislike OCR... I would actually say that I hate them <(^~^)>

How did you find Psychology at AS? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA was interesting cause we learnt both the theories and the studies. It was hard though, and I actually prefer OCR which was the one I did this year. Just revise a lot and you'll be fine :biggrin: Good Luck!!
Most likely my school's sixth form. Subjects are - maths+FM, German, physics, history, economics.
I'm going to my school's sixth form and probably taking maths, history, psychology and government and politics :smile:
My School doesn't have a sixth form (thankfully! Not that I would be going there anyway), so I'm moving to King Edward's :biggrin:

I'm going to be studying English literature, Maths, History and Spanish!

Do any of you guys have your transition work for the summer yet? I already have quite a lot 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! I will be studying biology, chemistry, math and English language and literature!!!!

I am super excited 😃. I was actually supposed to go last year but I went for two days and then got sick and had to miss the year out so hopefully that wont happen again lol.
I'll be studying Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services in college nex year! Really excited, can't wait for enrolment in September!!
Reply 12
Going to college to do Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. :smile: After my welcome day I'm more than excited to start.
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Hi! I will be studying biology, chemistry, math and English language and literature!!!!

I am super excited 😃. I was actually supposed to go last year but I went for two days and then got sick and had to miss the year out so hopefully that wont happen again lol.

I just finished Year 12 and did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature and I absolutely loved the combination!! English is such a break from the others :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
going to sixth form to study maths biology chemistry physics and an EPQ.
I'm starting Level 3 Extended diploma in fashion design at south&city college, everyone's been moaning at me to choose Alevels instead because I'm too intelligent for Btecs :unimpressed:
Original post by coboyle098
I just finished Year 12 and did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature and I absolutely loved the combination!! English is such a break from the others :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

Thanks for replying. Do you have any advice per subject? I'm excited but also really worried about the jump.

Thanks!
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Hi!

Thanks for replying. Do you have any advice per subject? I'm excited but also really worried about the jump.

Thanks!

Well I'm from Northern Ireland so I do CCEA for my exams, so our English Literature courses are probably quite different!

But with English, I would say read the texts you're studying beforehand so you have an idea of what you'll be covering. I studied The Tempest and we had questions to do after each part we studied, and I made them quite detailed so the coursework was easier and gave me a bit more time to actually work on the essay rather than trying to find everything! :smile: Also, the best way to improve is just to do essays or essay plans! They're so helpful :smile:

I did further maths for GCSE, so the maths this year was pretty similar and just basically built on that, but if you didn't do further don't worry! You cover everything from the basics again really, but just make sure you do questions from time to time to keep it fresh in your head :smile:

Biology is fine as long as you make revision notes as you go along and understand it as you do it! It makes the revision of the course a lot easier :smile:

Chemistry I absolutely adore - but it requires a good bit of work. Initially you build on GCSE knowledge so you are eased into the course, but after that I would definitely definitely do a lot of pat paper questions for revision! The only lengthy learning you need to do is mechanisms and maybe some reactions like preparation of primary alcohols, but the rest is just grasping the theory and applying it :smile:

Sorry that was long! I hope I helped you out a bit, but as long as you keep on top of your work you'll be grand! Try not to let the work impact on your liking of the subject, because liking the class makes everything so much easier :smile:
Good luck and if you need anything else feel free to message me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
How will we do past papers if the specs are changing this year? why did the a levels have to change, there was no point!! -__-
Original post by coboyle098
Well I'm from Northern Ireland so I do CCEA for my exams, so our English Literature courses are probably quite different!

But with English, I would say read the texts you're studying beforehand so you have an idea of what you'll be covering. I studied The Tempest and we had questions to do after each part we studied, and I made them quite detailed so the coursework was easier and gave me a bit more time to actually work on the essay rather than trying to find everything! :smile: Also, the best way to improve is just to do essays or essay plans! They're so helpful :smile:

I did further maths for GCSE, so the maths this year was pretty similar and just basically built on that, but if you didn't do further don't worry! You cover everything from the basics again really, but just make sure you do questions from time to time to keep it fresh in your head :smile:

Biology is fine as long as you make revision notes as you go along and understand it as you do it! It makes the revision of the course a lot easier :smile:

Chemistry I absolutely adore - but it requires a good bit of work. Initially you build on GCSE knowledge so you are eased into the course, but after that I would definitely definitely do a lot of pat paper questions for revision! The only lengthy learning you need to do is mechanisms and maybe some reactions like preparation of primary alcohols, but the rest is just grasping the theory and applying it :smile:

Sorry that was long! I hope I helped you out a bit, but as long as you keep on top of your work you'll be grand! Try not to let the work impact on your liking of the subject, because liking the class makes everything so much easier :smile:
Good luck and if you need anything else feel free to message me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!😊 So do you think if I keep on top of my work I will be okay? Because everyone says a levels are the hardest etc and I don't want it to be like that

Quick Reply

Latest