The Student Room Group

Foundation Degree!!

I really want to study Child Nursing (or Primary Teaching) but I only got a C at Maths. I was looking at Clearing options and there was a Foundation Degree in Early Childhood and Learning Studies, is this worth doing or should I just get experience? It's really difficult since Nursing and Teaching are really competitive degrees to apply for so I think they'll just see I don't have a B and ignore my application!!

Any advice??
Original post by warb
I really want to study Child Nursing (or Primary Teaching) but I only got a C at Maths. I was looking at Clearing options and there was a Foundation Degree in Early Childhood and Learning Studies, is this worth doing or should I just get experience? It's really difficult since Nursing and Teaching are really competitive degrees to apply for so I think they'll just see I don't have a B and ignore my application!!

Any advice??

You only need a C at maths to do nursing(i think ive only ever seen 2 unis that said they wanted a B), they certainly wont ignore your application on the basis of that. If you get around 280 ucas points and plenty of care experience and have a good personal statement you ll be fine. Heres a list of nursing degrees you could check out,
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_nursing_degrees_and_their_entry_requirements
What level 3 qualifications are you doing? could happily give you a list of where could be good options for you if it helps. I did a foundation degree as my a levels went horrendously but would say to only do one if you did really badly in a levels/btec/access really.
A c in maths for primary education would be absolutely fine too (my partner going into a pgce with a c so really wouldnt worry about that)
Reply 3
Most Child Nursing I've seen is asking for a B. It's so competitive I want to stand out and I don't know if a Foundation would help that. I finished A Levels last summer and I got a C in Sociology and a DD* in Health and Social Care, I applied to three Universities but only got accepted into one and I really didn't want to go there since it was in March and I didn't like the place very much at all. Right now I've got a Support Worker job but a lot of people say the lectures say that you 'pick up bad habits' so it doesn't make a difference :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
A c in maths for primary education would be absolutely fine too (my partner going into a pgce with a c so really wouldnt worry about that)

Really? Did he/she do a degree before that? - sorry to be nosey!
Original post by warb
Really? Did he/she do a degree before that? - sorry to be nosey!

He did a BA in education and psychology.
Original post by warb
Most Child Nursing I've seen is asking for a B. It's so competitive I want to stand out and I don't know if a Foundation would help that. I finished A Levels last summer and I got a C in Sociology and a DD* in Health and Social Care, I applied to three Universities but only got accepted into one and I really didn't want to go there since it was in March and I didn't like the place very much at all. Right now I've got a Support Worker job but a lot of people say the lectures say that you 'pick up bad habits' so it doesn't make a difference :frown:

Sorry, just saw this message. You have 320 ucas points then which is more than what i ve seen some places ask. Being a support worker makes a massive difference, dont know what those lectures are on about:P give me 5 minutes and i ll find some places i know you could apply for:smile: foundation entry could help but i d recon it would be worth giving it a go applying to places now you ve got more experience or you could do foundation at uclan or keele as your 5th choice as a back up?
Do you like any of these unis? they ll all accept a C in maths and what points and subjects you have from your level 3:smile:
Anglia ruskin
Bangor
Bedfordshire
Birmingham city
Bournemouth (assuming you have a science gcse?)
Bradford (assuming you have a science gcse?)
Buckinghamshire New(assuming you have a science gcse?)
Canterbury Christ Church
Central Lancashire (,my uni :wink: which i can guarantee will accept a C)
Cumbria
City uni london
De monfort( again assuming you have science)
Hull ( again assuming you have science)
Keele
LJMU
LSBU
Middlesex (again assuming you have science)
Northampton
Northumbria (again assuming you have science)
Plymouth (again assuming you have science)
Salford (again assuming you have science)
Staffordshire.

Hope this helps:smile: If you need help with your personal statement, i could look over your ps from the last time you applied if it helps or if theres any other way i can help let me know:smile:

Original post by warb
Reply 8
I'll PM you!!
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
He did a BA in education and psychology.

I have messaged you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending