The Student Room Group

Need some help, Higher Business or Physics?

So for my 6th year I took AH Chem, AH Bio, Higher Modern Studies and Higher Business. Both highers are crash highers and I hate business so far.

I only went to class one period and even then left halfway through cause I couldn't stand discussing advantages or disadvantages of things I didn't understand, so I'm considering dropping it for higher physics instead.

Ive done nat 5 physics and got an A, so I don't think I could struggle much with it. What is anyone's opinion on the CfE Higher Physics course? Hard? Easy?

Same with CfE Higher Business, ive heard its easy but it seems boring.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zain-A
So for my 6th year I took AH Chem, AH Bio, Higher Modern Studies and Higher Business. Both highers are crash highers and I hate business so far.

I only went to class one period and even then left halfway through cause I couldn't stand discussing advantages or disadvantages of things I didn't understand, so I'm considering dropping it for higher physics instead.

Ive done nat 5 physics and got an A, so I don't think I could struggle much with it. What is anyone's opinion on the CfE Higher Physics course? Hard? Easy?

Same with CfE Higher Business, ive heard its easy but it seems boring.

I can't say anything about business but I can vouch for the higher physics course. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it advanced on from n5 very well. The old higher course was interesting so I can only presume that the new one is even more so as they study special relativity and boring stuff like Wheatstone bridges has been taken out. What is it you want to do? As that can have a major influence in your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I can vouch for higher business, it's pretty straightforward, but the responses to questions can be a bit hard as there is quite a lot to write, and read when studying. It's good to know what happens in the world of commerce that is around you and it's pretty easy to get. but then again, you seem as if you like science so maybe the higher in physics would boost uni prospects. Good luck with whatever :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by qasim-98
I can vouch for higher business, it's pretty straightforward, but the responses to questions can be a bit hard as there is quite a lot to write, and read when studying. It's good to know what happens in the world of commerce that is around you and it's pretty easy to get. but then again, you seem as if you like science so maybe the higher in physics would boost uni prospects. Good luck with whatever :smile:

Just curious what year are you in???
Reply 4
Original post by Jeff548
Just curious what year are you in???

After summer, il be in sixth year. You?
Original post by JP298
I can't say anything about business but I can vouch for the higher physics course. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it advanced on from n5 very well. The old higher course was interesting so I can only presume that the new one is even more so as they study special relativity and boring stuff like Wheatstone bridges has been taken out. What is it you want to do? As that can have a major influence in your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers guys, I think I'm going to take physics simply cause this relativity topic seems interesting. Yeah it does seem Business would be slightly easier as it is just reading up on adv and disadv of businessy stuff, most of which I grasp well already but I just think I would be bored with the constant reading, evaluating pros/cons, rinse repeat. I'm more of a historian/scientist :P Thanks for the help!!

Same, what subjects you taking?
Reply 6
Original post by Zain-A
Cheers guys, I think I'm going to take physics simply cause this relativity topic seems interesting. Yeah it does seem Business would be slightly easier as it is just reading up on adv and disadv of businessy stuff, most of which I grasp well already but I just think I would be bored with the constant reading, evaluating pros/cons, rinse repeat. I'm more of a historian/scientist :P Thanks for the help!!

Same, what subjects you taking?

-AH English
-AH Business
-H Maths
-H Bio
-H Computing
- H psychology (maybe)

You?
(edited 8 years ago)
-AH English
-AH Business
-H Maths
-H Bio
-H Computing
- H psychology (maybe)

You?

Woah, seems a-lot, what about time for stuff like private study or school committee stuff? (or social life)

I'm only taking AH Chemistry, AH Biology, H Modern Studies and now H Physics
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zain-A
Woah, seems a-lot, what about time for stuff like private study or school committee stuff? (or social life)

I'm only taking AH Chemistry, AH Biology, H Modern Studies and now H Physics

I have a study period so hopefully the workload won't be too heavy, I'm just not looking forward to the assignments and having to do them all by mid april that's the worst part of the school year, I know then that's the point I'll probably be cramming everything lol
Reply 9

Oh cool! After Summer I will be in fifth year. Do you know what you want to study at university yet???
Original post by Jeff548
Oh cool! After Summer I will be in fifth year. Do you know what you want to study at university yet???

I'm stuck for choices but I think it might be either:
Anatomy/ physiology/biology
•Human Resource Management
•joint psychology &mathematics.

I've got to decide pretty quick what I want to do, cause I need to apply soon lol

What about you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I'm stuck for choices but I think it might be either:
Anatomy/ physiology/biology
•Human Resource Management
•joint psychology &mathematics.

I've got to decide pretty quick what I want to do, cause I need to apply soon lol

What about you?

I want to study Medicine but I English isn't my best subject so im worried i could drop an A in that :frown:(
Obviously Physics... It's perfect...
Why do you even need to think about it ;P
Original post by Higherdude
Obviously Physics... It's perfect...
Why do you even need to think about it ;P

Haha I know man, dunno WHAT I was thinking xD, its getting changed soon :P

Original post by Jeff548
I want to study Medicine but I English isn't my best subject so im worried i could drop an A in that :frown:(

Yeah, I kinda winged my English this year, i'm hoping for the best since the paper was really good but I hated the subject. If you do get a B don't worry, you can still apply for medicine and countless other things. I've been looking t chemical engineering as a back up if my medicine applications balls up and its actually really interesting. I'd advice you to have a back up plan ready
Physics. 'Nuff said.
Original post by JP298

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fyi, Wheatstone bridges are in the cfe higher physics course
Reply 16
Original post by ScottWM98
Fyi, Wheatstone bridges are in the cfe higher physics course

Oh, apologies then. What has been taken out?

Edit:
I have just looked at BBC bitesize, and it says; "Although not explicitly part of the Higher Physics course it is an application of voltage divider circuits." That is in relation to the Wheatstone bridges.

I can not see any topics on op amps, so I can only presume it has been removed...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JP298
Oh, apologies then. What has been taken out?

Edit:
I have just looked at BBC bitesize, and it says; "Although not explicitly part of the Higher Physics course it is an application of voltage divider circuits." That is in relation to the Wheatstone bridges.

I can not see any topics on op amps, so I can only presume it has been removed...

How hard is the electricity stuff? Hated that in Nat 5, I did higher maths and chemistry last year, you think I will be fine with all the calculations?
Original post by Zain-A
How hard is the electricity stuff? Hated that in Nat 5, I did higher maths and chemistry last year, you think I will be fine with all the calculations?

Its piss dw
Original post by Pennyarcade
Its piss dw

cheers, tbh im just procrastinating from UKCAT asking all these questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending