The Student Room Group

First Year Adult Nursing Student. AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks
Oxford Brookes
Reply 21
Original post by lilibet01
In theory we got two weeks for Christmas, two for Easter and three for summer. However, we have always been given longer. Last Christmas we had 8 weeks off, six of those were to complete assignments. This year I finished at the beginning of July and apart from going in on two days for simulation and OSCE's, plus we have a 3 week INLO (international, national learning opportunity), I start the 3rd year on the 15th September. We have also had reading weeks around the time you would expect half-term school holidays. We were also told to expect to be in 9-5 Monday to Friday. Again, that has never happened!

Helpful, thanks.
Reply 22
Hi guys,

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread for a few weeks, I'm on my summer break at the moment and trying to work as much as I can to save some money for next year!

Having a look through the questions, I can only really add to what's been said already. My placements didn't start until January and to be honest, I kind of wish we'd been able to get out there sooner. There's only so much you can talk about things without having experienced them! We were expected to work 40% of our shifts with our mentors which included weekends and nights where necessary. All together in my first year I completed 17 weeks of placement which was 40% of the time I spent in uni, next year it'll increase to 50% of the time and then in the third year, 60% of my time will be spent in practice.

We've had pretty generous holidays this year (I'm currently on a seven week break) but that varies like so much else does depending on the uni. During theory weeks, initially it was five days a week usually starting at 9am but by the end of the year, it was only for a few hours a week. Don't be put off by "horror stories" of only five weeks of holiday a year... That's still more than you're likely to get if you were working!

In response to Tizzy92, I personally don't work during the academic year though most of my friends do. It's a difficult balancing act and you need a boss who's flexible and understanding during times when you're not going to be able to work during placements and near to assignment deadlines.

I'll pop back again soon, thanks to Moonkatt and Lilibet01 for answering questions while I've been away xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Re exams, different Unis do things differently. We had exams throughout the first 6 months of being in Uni, you needed to pass your clinical skills etc, you had exams in he different classes/lectures you had.
Reply 24
hi all, i need your help.

I'm stuck on my dbs checks. its so annoying as i dont know any other nursing students.
Original post by rxy
hi all, i need your help.

I'm stuck on my dbs checks. its so annoying as i dont know any other nursing students.

You've posted elsewhere and people have replied. A dbs check is pretty self explanatory. Fill it out and it gets sent off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by deviant182
You've posted elsewhere and people have replied. A dbs check is pretty self explanatory. Fill it out and it gets sent off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yeah I've actually done it properly,
had some help from the people on tsr. So yeah my question was answered yesterday.
Original post by tizzy92
Hi,
I'll be starting adult nursing in September at KCL, I have few questions for you, would be glad if you could help
*what month did you started your first placement?
* did u have to do the same shifts as your mentor?
* as a student nurse are u allowed to do night shifts and weekends; only asking this cuz I planned on working weekends to meet my needs.
*what time do you start classes and how many days a week do u have to attend?
Am so sorry if this sounds awful, am just curious and anxious about the whole thing.

Thanks for your time xxx

Hi, I was a nursing student at KCL but I dropped out a few months ago. But I can still answer your questions:

1) First placement begins in November and lasts 5 weeks.
2) They try and assign shifts as closely aligned with your mentors shifts as much as possible but that won't always be possible. You will have a co-mentor too so you might be with them a lot but sometimes you will just be put with any nurse on the ward. You do have to spend at least 40% of your time with your mentors though so raise that up with the nurse in charge if you aren't assigned enough shifts with your mentor.
3) 1st year students can do nightshifts but it's not allowed on your first placement. You can do them from the second placement onwards. It is expected that you can do weekends. Regarding the job, you would probably have to negotiate that with your employer. I tried to get part time jobs when I was at King's but got rejected because of my schedule with placements :frown:
4) I never had a set week tbh. Some days you might only have one two hour seminar in the afternoon but at other times you might have a jam packed 9-5 day with practicals, lectures and seminars. Your Wednesday afternoons are always free though. I would say that you are in at least 3 times a week.
(edited 8 years ago)
How many exams and essays did you have to do in ur first year?
Reply 29
thanks alot.... this is so helpful @highway unicorn
Can i ask if u are getting nhs bursary and how much are u getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the chanllenges you face during your year one nurse as a student?
Hello I’m starting an undergrad for Nursing and I was wondering if You can give me advice and tips about starting the course or things I need to know or learn before starting. Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending