The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants for 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Noodlzzz
UCL grad if you have any questions.

Does this mean you're doing a postgraduate degree at UCL, or that you did an undergraduate one? Either way, how did you find the uni as a whole? And would you say it's more difficult finding accommodation and meeting people since it's London and everything's more spread out? Did you enjoy your course, and what are the lecturers like? I'm thinking about the Psychology BSc!
Thanks in advance!
Original post by rvas
Does this mean you're doing a postgraduate degree at UCL, or that you did an undergraduate one? Either way, how did you find the uni as a whole? And would you say it's more difficult finding accommodation and meeting people since it's London and everything's more spread out? Did you enjoy your course, and what are the lecturers like? I'm thinking about the Psychology BSc!
Thanks in advance!

undergrad.

Uni was awesome. Great atmosphere on campus and really great people.

It is more spread out but that makes exploring fun! Meeting people is easy from halls and on your course + union and nights out.

The course was great. Lot of emphasis on independent research opportunities in all years. Options to do modules outside of psych too.

Some of the lectures are outstanding, some good, some not so great. But overall standard is pretty high.
Reply 22
Hi! I'm italian too and i've the same problem! About scotland i heard that if you study there, it's difficult to find a job in england! Because there're many problems between them and find a job in scotland is difficult too because is very very big but people are not enough, so.... if you want you can contact me and we can talk because i'm interested too. If you're interested i can give you my e-mail or my fb link so let me know. Ciaooo =)
Original post by Neha Dabr
Hello all! I'm going to apply for an Msc Psychology next year and my choices are Surrey, Nottingham, Stirling, Sussex and Essex. Anybody else planning for a similar course or university?

I'm currently going into my third year of Psychology at Essex (undergrad), so I'll try my best to answer any questions. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pathway
I'm currently going into my third year of Psychology at Essex (undergrad), so I'll try my best to answer any questions. :h:

Heya! Im curious to know about the placement scenes at Essex..especially incase of International students..do any of them get placed? Also, how's campus life? And wch would be the best choice of uni halls for postgraduate students??
Original post by Neha Dabr
Heya! Im curious to know about the placement scenes at Essex..especially incase of International students..do any of them get placed? Also, how's campus life? And wch would be the best choice of uni halls for postgraduate students??

There's quite a large amount of international students at Essex, so I'd assume there's quite a lot on placements. What sort of area are you looking into? I know some people for clinical psychology work with local charities and get work within the local hospital - we get emails about this a lot.

Campus life is pretty good (Colchester campus anyway, not sure about the others as I don't study in those campuses), there's always quite a lot going on. Like movies at the on campus theatre, different club nights (I can't vouch for how good they are though, I don't go clubbing), there's loads of societies, different restaurants on campus, shops, close to town and less than an hour from London. It's a pretty close knit community too.

Depends what you're looking for in accommodation really, for example, Towers wouldn't be good for you if you wanted an en suite or didn't like parties very much, South Courts would be a better option but is obviously more expensive. Personally, for both my first and second year I've been in South Courts and I've found it enjoyable!

Sorry I can't answer more specifically regarding postgraduate study. Will you be going to an open day? They take you on a tour and show you all the facilities and also the accommodation too. There's also a postgraduate open evening too in November (4th) - could be beneficial for you to attend?
Original post by Pathway
There's quite a large amount of international students at Essex, so I'd assume there's quite a lot on placements. What sort of area are you looking into? I know some people for clinical psychology work with local charities and get work within the local hospital - we get emails about this a lot.

Campus life is pretty good (Colchester campus anyway, not sure about the others as I don't study in those campuses), there's always quite a lot going on. Like movies at the on campus theatre, different club nights (I can't vouch for how good they are though, I don't go clubbing), there's loads of societies, different restaurants on campus, shops, close to town and less than an hour from London. It's a pretty close knit community too.

Depends what you're looking for in accommodation really, for example, Towers wouldn't be good for you if you wanted an en suite or didn't like parties very much, South Courts would be a better option but is obviously more expensive. Personally, for both my first and second year I've been in South Courts and I've found it enjoyable!

Sorry I can't answer more specifically regarding postgraduate study. Will you be going to an open day? They take you on a tour and show you all the facilities and also the accommodation too. There's also a postgraduate open evening too in November (4th) - could be beneficial for you to attend?

I'll be pursuing Organisational psychology post my studies and go on to be an Occupational psychologist. En suite is what I would highly prefer. Unfortunately, it would not be possible to attend an open day as I would be in the UK not before August, 2016. Thanks for all the help though..really apprecite it..Uni sounds fun with quite a few fun places on campus itself frm the way you've described it. :-)
Hi,
Im applying to do psychology at uni next year (2016)! im looking forward to it so much but anyway haha
I got BCDDU at AS, which is awful but this year im going to work super hard and im hoping to get AABB and possibly an A in my extended project.
If i don't make these grades what are the chances that unis will give me a reduced offer? lets say my personal statement is really good and knocks their socks off, what are the chances that ill get a reduced offer??
Im really worried that im not going to get AABB or even ABBB and i wont get into my university of choice :/

thanks x
stuck between loughborugh/birmingham/manchester for my last choice....so far ive got

reading - AAA-AAB(going there next week if it goes bad i wont go their)
loughborough - AAB /birmingham-AAA-AAB/manchester - AAB
UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB

Probably going to get ABB predicted grades
Reply 29
Original post by scrawlx101
stuck between loughborugh/birmingham/manchester for my last choice....so far ive got

reading - AAA-AAB(going there next week if it goes bad i wont go their)
loughborough - AAB /birmingham-AAA-AAB/manchester - AAB
UEA - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Brunel - BBB

Probably going to get ABB predicted grades

I definitely think those are good choices, however, considering that loughborough does have a course that includes work placement - perhaps consider it? I went to Birmingham open day, and it was just amazing so I'm biased towards Birmingham myself! x
Original post by jaseho98
I definitely think those are good choices, however, considering that loughborough does have a course that includes work placement - perhaps consider it? I went to Birmingham open day, and it was just amazing so I'm biased towards Birmingham myself! x

not so sure on brimingham as the course doesnt really stand out....

tbh its between loughborough and uni of manchester really not really sure what to pick....birmingham seems a step to high for me and i dont think id get an offer aswell....

Reading
Loughboruough/Manchester - RG
UEA
Liverpool - RG
Brunel

Bit unsure tbh...trying to look at rent and accomodation stuff aswell
Reply 31
Original post by jennyfleming
Hi,
Im applying to do psychology at uni next year (2016)! im looking forward to it so much but anyway haha
I got BCDDU at AS, which is awful but this year im going to work super hard and im hoping to get AABB and possibly an A in my extended project.
If i don't make these grades what are the chances that unis will give me a reduced offer? lets say my personal statement is really good and knocks their socks off, what are the chances that ill get a reduced offer??
Im really worried that im not going to get AABB or even ABBB and i wont get into my university of choice :/

thanks x

It depends on the universities itself I believe! I think that you should really phone the universities up and they'll tell you what they think. Personally, I do believe that the Personal Statement plays a big part in the offer so do write it as you really really mean it; that you really want to do Psychology at uni and explain what triggered you etc. It's unlikely that the offers will be lowered, as majority of the universities do want to maintain a certain standard. The grades you got are solid foundations to build on. You really should only focus on 3 subjects and ace them, get 3As instead of 2As and 2Bs. If you can prove to the university that your work ethic will bring your grades up; you'll have every shot of getting in. I'd say not to apply for the top top unis though, as it'd just be a waste of a choice. Do aim to have at least 1 risk choice, and at least a few more secure ones! xx
Original post by jaseho98
It depends on the universities itself I believe! I think that you should really phone the universities up and they'll tell you what they think. Personally, I do believe that the Personal Statement plays a big part in the offer so do write it as you really really mean it; that you really want to do Psychology at uni and explain what triggered you etc. It's unlikely that the offers will be lowered, as majority of the universities do want to maintain a certain standard. The grades you got are solid foundations to build on. You really should only focus on 3 subjects and ace them, get 3As instead of 2As and 2Bs. If you can prove to the university that your work ethic will bring your grades up; you'll have every shot of getting in. I'd say not to apply for the top top unis though, as it'd just be a waste of a choice. Do aim to have at least 1 risk choice, and at least a few more secure ones! xx

yeah, My 4th subject is General Studies which im not really concentrating on tbh hhaa. My main 2 choices are Liverpool and East Anglia tbh but idk. Im scared no-one will accept me hahah. Thank you for the information :smile:) much appreciated x
Hi! I'm looking to study psychology UNI next year. I'm predicted AAA-A*AA I was wondering how important it is to study at a Russell group UNI? I am thinking of UCL,Surrey, Kings college , Nottingham, Kent and Southhampton so far! I want to stay quite close to London too! Any advice about which to pick or any other recommendations? Thanks!
Hey,

I'm in my last year of the IB and am thinking of applying to bath, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol and Exeter for a. Bsc in psychology :smile: I'm still not 100% sure whether I should choose these unis...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got an offer from manchester
Original post by tashasalvatore1

Wow congrats! What are your predicted grades?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tashasalvatore1

Wow, yeah what were your predicted? A-levels or IB?
Reply 38
Hey! I'm applying to Leeds, Nottingham, Newcastle, and Liverpool and I've just gotten an offer from manchester yesterday after submitting it a couple of days ago :smile:

My AS level grades were AAAAC in bio, psych, RS, general, and chem, also taking EPQ. I am predicted AAAA (my school has a no A* policy unless you beg pretty much)
Reply 39
Original post by ChloeNR
Hey! I'm applying to Leeds, Nottingham, Newcastle, and Liverpool and I've just gotten an offer from manchester yesterday after submitting it a couple of days ago :smile:

My AS level grades were AAAAC in bio, psych, RS, general, and chem, also taking EPQ. I am predicted AAAA (my school has a no A* policy unless you beg pretty much)

Congratulations on your Manchester offer! I've changed from Psychology to Neuroscience and Psychology for Manchester, hope they'll consider my application though!

Quick Reply

Latest