Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by Parasite
Hey there! I'm also applying for Psychology hopefully at:

Bath: MSci Psychology with Placement
Bristol: MSci Psychology with Innovation
Birmingham: MSci Psychology and Psychological Practice
Durham: BSc Psychology with Anthropology
Exeter: BSc Psychology with Anthropology and Study Abroad (Unsure)
Maybe UCL or Cambridge (if I can be bothered with the effort) instead of Exeter, but I would rather not stay in London or prepare for those killer interviews/written entry exams.

Good luck to everyone applying! :borat:

All I will say is please do your research on your future careers plans because I finish my undergraduate degree in less than a month's time and I had not thought much about my future career after my degree, so now I am kind of regretting studying psychology as it's hard to get a decent job with just the undergraduate. If you get placements then that's great, gives you experience on what you like and don't like, otherwise I would think carefully about the future

I am not discouraging anyone but think about it, do your research on careers with your degree because £27k on tuition is not a joke.
Original post by TZM
All I will say is please do your research on your future careers plans because I finish my undergraduate degree in less than a month's time and I had not thought much about my future career after my degree, so now I am kind of regretting studying psychology as it's hard to get a decent job with just the undergraduate. If you get placements then that's great, gives you experience on what you like and don't like, otherwise I would think carefully about the future

I am not discouraging anyone but think about it, do your research on careers with your degree because £27k on tuition is not a joke.

Thank you for your advice it is always welcome. I have done my research and plan to continue studying Psychology to Doctorate level while also gaining a masters in Biological or psychiatric Anthropology. I do have work experience under my belt, but I do not see myself going into any other job sector but Psychology, work in research/science and/or working for NGO's/international organisations or teaching abroad.

It is difficult to get a decent paying job because there are so many Psychology undergrad's. Nowadays you need more than a simple degree and that applies to most degrees tbh. Jobs expect junior graduates to have 2+ experience I mean come on!!! I'm pretty interested in forensic or clinical psychology, but I'll make my mind up for sure once I have experienced forensic work. I have only been on Psychiatric Anthropology and clinical work placements atm

Thank you, again, for your advice and raising some key concerns. It's difficult picking a career at such a young age!!! The debt is insane!!!

What university are you graduating from btw and have you decided whether you'd like to do a master's program or what sector you're interested working in? :borat: :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 842
Anyone else currently deciding between Bath and UCL?
Reply 843
Original post by m1m2
Anyone else currently deciding between Bath and UCL?

Bath is beautiful yet UCL is in the centre of the cultural hub of the world.
Hey is anyone studying psychology at Nottingham uni? I haven't firmed it yet but I think I'm going to😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accepted my offer to study Bsc Psychology with an optional placement year at City University London :smile:
Is going to a university for psychology which isn't ranked highly in the league tables (around 46th) and not well recognised a bad idea?

I understand how competitive psychology is, so I'm looking at taking a gap year and reapplying as I exceed the entry requirements. BBCCC is needed from any sittings of Scottish highers, I'm predicted AAAB this year and I've already got BBBC from last year.
Reply 847
Hi everyone, As I still haven't heard from Exeter for Msci applied psychology, I'm considering Durham or York for BSci psychology. The offer from Durham is AA, and York is AB (any two among Math, physics and chemistry). I'm now toying between the two.
Psychology in Durham ranked higher than York and the uni has an overall better reputation. The course in Durham is quite traditional and it has very high teaching quality. But the course has almost no clinical modules(I was told that there are not sufficient equipment for clinical experiments), and as Durham is not a campus uni, its psychology department is a bit far away from the old colleges (about 20 minutes walk)
By comparison, York's ranking is lower in psychology and in overall score, but it's a campus uni and its psychology department is bigger and is right in the middle of the campus. Teaching quality at York is also high, and there is a beautiful lake and many green areas in the campus. It only takes minutes to walk from colleges to the department. The course content seems broader and you can choose clinical modules in the third year.
I'm very interested in clinical psychology, but I'm not sure if I will change my mind during the study, because I'm also very interested in programming, and there is a cross field between computing and neuropsychology.
So I'm in a dilemma: Which uni should I choose? Any advice would be appreciated!Thanks in advance.
By the way, Durham is a bit far away from home(four hours by train), York takes three hours.
Hi everyone, I just got an offer from Durham, Exeter, Bristol and Surrey :smile: Any advice on which university to go to?

I'm keen on going to Durham due to it's prestige, but surrey's placement year makes it a more attractive university to go to. Exeter is offering me a 2nd year entry (with the condition of me passing an English exam), but after not studying for 2 years, I may have forgotten many stuff, and I'm afraid that I will not be able to keep up with the work. (I'm serving in the army now, and I really do not have any time to do any catching up before school starts). I'll probably reject Bristol due to it being experimental psychology (something which I'm not so keen on).
Being an international student, it's hard to get advice from people around me. Would appreciate some advice from you guys regarding which university would be more ideal. Thanks in advance!
Hiyah,

So I've applied for Psychology at York and Bristol with offers from both and I'm really not sure which to pick.

I've been to both applicant days as well as open days and I've not preferred one to the other overall, just differences between some factors e.g. city uni vs campus uni. Bristol have given a slightly lower offer, but that isn't something that would necessarily sway me to Bristol over York. They're both fairly respectable uni's, so I don't think I would go wrong with either, but it would be interesting to hear some others views on them both.

I've already chosen an insurance as the offer is pretty low for the university, and I like it equally as much as York and Bristol.
The other alternative would be to move my insurance to firm, and then choose an even lower offer as I like my insurance as equally as York and Bristol, but I'm not sure if I want to 'throw away' (as such) these two.

If anyone can give advice/opinions/anything to help that would be really appreciated.
Struggling to pick between Birmingham and Cardiff. (I've ruled out Warwick, Southampton and Manchester)

I live in Birmingham and I really want to move out, but I want to do it properly and experience somewhere new. I really liked the atmosphere in Cardiff, and its cheap which is a bonus.

However, I feel that post-university Birmingham would be better. It has a 90% emplyment rate after 6 months compared to Cardiff's 65%, and I feel job prospects-wise it has the better reputation. I've been trying to decide for the past 4 months and I still can't pick. I wouldn't mind moving into the accomodation at Birmingham, but I want to have an experience as well somewhere new. I'm torn between the two

Also I want to go a year abroad and I know Birmingham offer this. However, I haven't seen anything like this offered by Cardiff. Do you know if they do a year abroad?

And when I went to University of Birmingham, I was told I could transfer later on to the 4 year course with a placement after I applied to the wrong one. I forgot to ask the same question when I went to Cardiff, so does anyone know if I can transfer there as well?

Any help would be much appreciated!!!:smile:

p.s. for anyone applying to Birmingham or Cardiff, what made you attracted to it the most?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm from the United States and firming UCL for psychology. For insurance, I need to decide between the BSc programs at KCL and U of Edinburgh. The Edinburgh program is 4 years (so more expensive, although that is balanced somewhat by the higher cost of living in London).

I have already met the King's offer, but should also have no problem meeting the one from Edinburgh. (UCL's is more challenging.) I have visited Edinburgh and London (and found them both appealing), but have not been able to come to any open days or visit the departments. Anyone have a sense of how the new program at King's and the ongoing program at Edinburgh compare?
Anyone going to Uni of Birmingham studying psychology in September 😊
I am! :biggrin:
Original post by sidbholat
Anyone going to Uni of Birmingham studying psychology in September 😊
Reply 854
Original post by SFCardinal
I'm from the United States and firming UCL for psychology. For insurance, I need to decide between the BSc programs at KCL and U of Edinburgh. The Edinburgh program is 4 years (so more expensive, although that is balanced somewhat by the higher cost of living in London).

I have already met the King's offer, but should also have no problem meeting the one from Edinburgh. (UCL's is more challenging.) I have visited Edinburgh and London (and found them both appealing), but have not been able to come to any open days or visit the departments. Anyone have a sense of how the new program at King's and the ongoing program at Edinburgh compare?

Firmed UCL for Psychology and Durham as insurance!! X
Hopefully me too. I firmed Birmingham in the end
Original post by GoingForIt
I am! :biggrin:

Yay! Literally don'tknow anyone going :/
Original post by sidbholat
Yay! Literally don'tknow anyone going :/

Haha, I don't either- I know one who might be from the open day! Want to team up? Would be awesome to know someone who's going! :biggrin:
Firmed UCL for Psychology and Durham as insurance!!

Hope to see you at UCL!
Reply 859
Original post by SFCardinal
Firmed UCL for Psychology and Durham as insurance!!

Hope to see you at UCL!

Exactly the same choices! Firmed UCL and insured Durham!!

Quick Reply

Latest