The Student Room Group

Numerical Tests

Hey,
I was just wondering what u guys think about numerical tests?

Im currently applying to accountancy firms, and one of the numerical tests i had to do for a particular firm was extremely hard. much harder than the practice numerical tests that are avaliable online or in books. i remember i had to calculate market capitalisation, and a lot of questions based on bonds and shares etc.

Do u guys think numerical tests for firms in the accountancy or finance field is much harder than numerical tests for other sectors?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Yeah i recently failed a Numerical test for one of the big four because i'd practised examples on the web and in the books they recommend, and when i got to the test it was nothing like any of them.

I guess for a job in finance which requires mathematical skills then that might be the reason why the tests are so hard, but it's baffling why they wouldn't give you relevant examples to help you.
Reply 2
Hi, I have the same question. I have to do an assessment for PWC next week and I am wondering what to expect from the nummerical test. Any idea is more than welcome!! I think is about tables interpretation but do you guys know if we also have to make mathematical calculations (like multiplying or finding percentages very fast??):confused:

Cheers,
Reply 3
sandraca
Hi, I have the same question. I have to do an assessment for PWC next week and I am wondering what to expect from the nummerical test. Any idea is more than welcome!! I think is about tables interpretation but do you guys know if we also have to make mathematical calculations (like multiplying or finding percentages very fast??):confused:

Cheers,

Hi, i did a numerical test for KPMG (above ^) so i can only say what i found with theirs, as i understand they're put together by different people. Every question i had (though i only managed to get to question 8/24) was a table that you had to make calculations from.

I had one percentage increase question (i think that was the one i actualy got right :biggrin:), and several questions that were phrased something like 'Following the ratios of years before for unemployment (they gave me a table), forecast the number of unemployed for 2010' - harder than it looks because i didn't have a clue how to calculate ratios.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I have to prepare with tables. Do you know if numerical series like 3,5,7,? (but of course harder) also come in the test?

:smile:
Reply 5
sandraca
Thanks a lot for your reply. I think I have to prepare with tables. Do you know if numerical series like 3,5,7,? (but of course harder) also come in the test?

:smile:

I would very much doubt it as they're seen as too easy for an employer like PWC and KPMG.

This is the website that KPMG gave me to practise on http://practicetests.cubiks.com/
I also found these helpful: http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/
Finally, check on the PWC website for examples. I personally haven't looked at PWC in all that depth but i'm sure they'll give you something to practise on on their website.
Reply 6
Hey I found the PWC numerical test quite difficult..but just read the questions carefully and take your time..although finishing questions is important..I believe accuracy is even more so..therefore if you don't know the answer..rather than make a wild guess..miss the question out. There are basic percentage and ratio questions but nothing you can't handle as long as your read the questions and don't panic! I would practice as much as possible tho..because even tho the real ones are alot harder..practice definately improves your performance! Goodluck :0)
Reply 7
Does anyone know how to answer this question?
thanks!
Reply 8
Is the question even correct, it says "53 of the population", does it mean "53% of the population". Also the table:

Unemployment rate (% of workforce) 9.4m

Shouldn't the rate be in percentages?!

Where did you get that question from? :s-smilie:
Reply 9
that question is very weird, but the answer (only logical one) is 2.53m peeps unemployed so answer should be none of them
TOTAL GDP divided by GDP PER HEAD gives TOTAL POPULATION. TOTAL POPULATION time .53 (53% are unemployed) gives ANSWER
Reply 11
fuglyduckling
TOTAL GDP divided by GDP PER HEAD gives TOTAL POPULATION. TOTAL POPULATION time .53 (53% are unemployed) gives ANSWER

That is wrong.
53% of the total population are part of the work force. Of which 9.4% are unemployed.
45.4m people X 0.53 X 0.094 gives you your answer = 2.26 (I roughly calculated it before) so 2.3 is your answer

Latest

Trending

Trending