The Student Room Group

Apply for Summer Internship or nah?

Hey there! Before I start, thank you in advance for your advice.

I will be matriculating later in the year, and will be reading PPE @ Oxford. I previously interned for 3 months at UBS, performing risk management functions.

Given that I will be a first-year when applying, do I stand a chance to get a place?

It appears that most banks/consultancies state that they only take in second-year students, but I'm hoping my prior experience at UBS mitigates that.

I will gladly welcome any advice / personal experiences as a first-year applying for a summer internship.

Thank you!
If I were you, I would focus on applying for 1st year spring weeks. They are less competitive than summers but can lead to summer offers. You can also do multiple Spring weeks which will allow you to shop around per say. Considering you have a great background for a 1st year, you should expect interviews and then it's only how you present yourself.

If you are desperate for the summer, I would suggest using your University career service and contact boutiques as they don't have such a formal recruiting process.
as above, focus on applying to spring week internships as a first yaer, which could get you fast-tracked to a penultimate year final round interview.

that being said, you can apply to first year internships at smaller investment firms which will look good on your CV regardless, or contact people informally to see if you could arrange something.
Reply 3
Original post by SixorSeven
If I were you, I would focus on applying for 1st year spring weeks. They are less competitive than summers but can lead to summer offers. You can also do multiple Spring weeks which will allow you to shop around per say. Considering you have a great background for a 1st year, you should expect interviews and then it's only how you present yourself.

If you are desperate for the summer, I would suggest using your University career service and contact boutiques as they don't have such a formal recruiting process.

Hmmm I'm kinda desperate for the summer, and yes, I do agree that spring weeks beget numerous opportunities and experiences. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but doing Spring Week in 2016 could only lead to a Summer offer in 2017 rather than in the same year right?

For the latter, that was kinda what I was thinking of, glad to know that it's a possible avenue to explore. Will probably use linkedin/networks to reach out to them tho, as I'm not officially a student of Oxford yet and have no access to their careers office.
Reply 4
Original post by gr8wizard10
as above, focus on applying to spring week internships as a first yaer, which could get you fast-tracked to a penultimate year final round interview.

that being said, you can apply to first year internships at smaller investment firms which will look good on your CV regardless, or contact people informally to see if you could arrange something.

by smaller investment firms, are there any that you personally recommend? I was looking towards greenhill but I think that's pretty competitive too. for the latter, haha, backdoor is always the best
Original post by TripleSix
by smaller investment firms, are there any that you personally recommend? I was looking towards greenhill but I think that's pretty competitive too. for the latter, haha, backdoor is always the best

i'd assume most are pretty competitive. i'm not really sure, i'd just look around and see who is offering, any sort of relevant experience as a first year is pretty good tbh, especially if you have a sw or two on your record. if you have any, contacts are your best bet.

your uni and previous exp will put you in a strong position in applications regardless, so apply to where you can.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TripleSix
Hey there! Before I start, thank you in advance for your advice.

I will be matriculating later in the year, and will be reading PPE @ Oxford. I previously interned for 3 months at UBS, performing risk management functions.

Given that I will be a first-year when applying, do I stand a chance to get a place?

It appears that most banks/consultancies state that they only take in second-year students, but I'm hoping my prior experience at UBS mitigates that.

I will gladly welcome any advice / personal experiences as a first-year applying for a summer internship.

Thank you!

The reason they want you to be in your penultimate year (so third year if you're on a four year course) is because they want you to be able to start working for them the year after if they offer you a graduate job as a result of the internship.
Original post by brittanna
The reason they want you to be in your penultimate year (so third year if you're on a four year course) is because they want you to be able to start working for them the year after if they offer you a graduate job as a result of the internship.

but there's no harm in trying to get further exp. a lot of firms offer first years tbh if you look hard enough.

source: i'm first year at a bb w/ 3 other first year internship offers.

but yeah the general consensus is penultimate year > grad offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending