The Student Room Group

Islamic Relief - a fund for terrorism?

I keep seeing adverts for the charity "Islamic Relief".

I looked at their website and basically your money goes to:

* Palestine
* Syria
* Indonesia

among other places with Islamic extremism.

Unlike the Red Cross which help poor people of all religions, this "charity" seems directed mainly at places with Islamic extremism.

I am highly suspicious of this organisation. Which seems to only help people if they are Muslims. (And not the Kafir).

Do you think this is a legitimate charity or a place for Muslims to give money to help "the cause".

It reminds me of when Americans used to donate money to help "the cause" in Ireland for fellow Catholics when really it was a fund for the IRA. Or when Americans donate money to "the cause" in Israel which helps fund the Israeli army.

I just think a lot of these charities are less humanitarian than they appear to be.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There are several organisations with similar names.... Islamic Relief seem very respectable.
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
There are several organisations with similar names.... Islamic Relief seem very respectable.

But everything is not always as it seems.
Reply 3
On the Wikipedia page it says they help people regardless of race or religion.

But it just so happens that all their campaigns are for majority Muslim countries.

Syria, Indonesia, etc.

I don't see any campaigns to help poor people in non-Muslim countries.
The only cause in Europe is for Albania which coincidentally is majority Muslim.

There's nothing wrong with a charity helping just Muslims. But why lie about it helping people "regardless of religion". That just makes me suspicious because they are clearly lying.

They should just be honest and say, "This is a charity to help fellow Muslims." Why lie about it? Probably to get past the discrimination act in the UK courts. And of course they fell for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by noobynoo
On the Wikipedia page it says they help people regardless of race or religion.

But it just so happens that all their campaigns are for majority Muslim countries.

Syria, Indonesia, etc.

I don't see any campaigns to help poor people in non-Muslim countries.
The only cause in Europe is for Albania which coincidentally is majority Muslim.

There's nothing wrong with a charity helping just Muslims. But why lie about it helping people "regardless of religion". That just makes me suspicious because they are clearly lying.

They should just be honest and say, "This is a charity to help fellow Muslims." Why lie about it?

nothing new there, muslims only care for muslims. But when non muslims only care for non muslims Islam cries?! haha. Never mind the economic power still remains with non muslims.
I keep seeing adverts for the charity "Islamic Relief".

I looked at their website and basically your money goes to:

* Palestine
* Syria
* Indonesia

among other places with Islamic extremism.

Unlike the Red Cross which help poor people of all religions, this "charity" seems directed mainly at places with Islamic extremism.

I am highly suspicious of this organisation. Which seems to only help people if they are Muslims. (And not the Kafir).

Do you think this is a legitimate charity or a place for Muslims to give money to help "the cause".

It reminds me of when Americans used to donate money to help "the cause" in Ireland for fellow Catholics when really it was a fund for the IRA. Or when Americans donate money to "the cause" in Israel which helps fund the Israeli army.

I just think a lot of these charities are less humanitarian than they appear to be.

a lot of islamic charities have been shown under investigation to funnel money directly to islamist groups abroad and then fund terrorist activity and recruitment. this goes for monies collected in a lot of uk mosques - i suggest this expose is in the pipeline,seeing as a lot of mosques are funded by and therefore run by saudi salafists. the muslim world is full of desperately poor muslims in asia and africa and even this 'islamic' money doesnt reach any of them- instead its re-directed to islamic war zones like syria and palestine purely for political purposes. saudi is still the richest country in the muslim world - how much of their money do you think goes to actually feeding people outside the middle east?

surely the best way to help people in need is to contribute to non -denominational charites of which there are plenty- and dont push a specific agenda or faith like the islamic ones do
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Actually they do have an appeal for Nepal earthquake and Nepal is "only" 10% Islamic. So you never know. Still I wouldn't trust them if I was giving money to the Nepal fund.
Reply 7
Actually they do have an appeal for Nepal earthquake and Nepal is "only" 10% Islamic. So you never know. Still I wouldn't trust them if I was giving money to the Nepal fund.

i have seen mosques or islamic charities in India that will only give food/ clothes tot he poor if they are muslim or agree to become muslim. again these are funded by much richer muslim groups from outside that are intent on converting poor and desperate people to islam, learning the strategy the european christians did in south india centuries ago. you cant blame the poor for converting as a way to feed themselves,
Reply 8
Religious people are very tricksy. Like when they wanted to build a new mosque/church/etc. Call it a "community cohesion centre" or something and the government will actually give them money to have it built. So the religious people get their new temple and the government can say they are putting money towards community cohesion and everyone's happy.

Or if they want to have a tent funded to give out copies of their holy books and sign people up to their religion call it a "cultural exchange marquee" and have it funded by the student union. I have seen this a lot. People are dumb.
No it isn't.

They work where aid is needed most and where other charities don't seem to go, which tend to be the Muslim countries.

The only criticism I have is the amount they spend on administration, I wonder how much actually goes to the cause.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Law-Hopeful
What point were you making? That muslims are disproportionately dependent on benefits (in comparison to the average UK resident/other faith groups etc)?

I thought the point he was making was that Islamic extremists, who use charity as a cover for funding terrorism or collecting money to send to ISIS are usually on benefits.
I thought the point he was making was that Islamic extremists, who use charity as a cover for funding terrorism or collecting money to send to ISIS are usually on benefits.

Well when I made the argument terrorists that terrorists come from lower class backgrounds I was told studies had proven they in fact come from middle and upper class backgrounds, and are well educated.

Can't have it both ways
Its not just that charity, look at oxfam and water aid, they collect money off you(by your choice of course) but only a small amount goes out there to those that need it.
I have worked with Islamic Relief and its services it provides, in fact when i helped them, we started a food bank in the regional area(Which is Manchester) and we provided food to the homeless, and the 95% of the people who Received our services were non-muslims, and we Invited and still currently invite them to eat with us every night at our mosque and by god the non muslims outnumber the muslims and we cater for those who are in need, we give charities with no second thought, we help our fellow muslims as they are getting massacred everyday yet nobody ever realizes. What a coincidence today is the anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre where once again muslims were massacred in Bosnia, and we provide Burma and Bosnia where Islam is not the Religious majority, we help who needs help because we're muslims, we're Humans and its what makes Human thats why we do it
Reply 14
Original post by HamzaP147
I have worked with Islamic Relief and its services it provides, in fact when i helped them, we started a food bank in the regional area(Which is Manchester) and we provided food to the homeless, and the 95% of the people who Received our services were non-muslims, and we Invited and still currently invite them to eat with us every night at our mosque and by god the non muslims outnumber the muslims and we cater for those who are in need, we give charities with no second thought, we help our fellow muslims as they are getting massacred everyday yet nobody ever realizes. What a coincidence today is the anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre where once again muslims were massacred in Bosnia, and we provide Burma and Bosnia where Islam is not the Religious majority, we help who needs help because we're muslims, we're Humans and its what makes Human that's why we do it

That is good. But just because you worked for them in Manchester doesn't mean that the same thing happens in London or Indonesia or wherever.

A lot of homeless people will tell you that they are often approached by religious charities offering "help". But in return for food or a room for the night they must also listen to (usually Christian) sermons and invited to let Jesus into their lives. Hence why they choose to stay homeless rather than being "brainwashed" by these charities.

The charity workers think they're helping by trying to let Jesus into people's lives.

That is why I'm suspicious of religious charities. But it is better than nothing in some cases.
Most likely it is happening internationally by them helping anyone no matter what race or religion, if not, what are we doing? We should do something about it so they help everyone in that case, so us ourselves are also responsible and should not single out a full charity or an "Islamic extremist charity". Many people would agree that the workers when handing out goods to people in need don't ask questions such as "Are you Muslim?", "Are you ISIS" and then they say "If you're not, we're not giving you goods". Come on that would be weird right? Also under my supervision I have never witnessed such an occasion where a person in need has ever been forced to listen about Islam, in fact we're not doing this to just spread Islam. We mainly do it because of Zakah(Obligatory Almsgiving) and Sadqah(Optional Charity), we do it because of heart and we do it because its a matter of Humanity not religion. And doubdtly has ever a person in need or a non Muslim ever been or spoke of bringing Islam into their life because our aim: to make one community not to lecture the homeless, not lecture the non Muslims, not to lecture the Muslims, yet we talk to them all equally as one if they were our own blood, we do not segregate. As the prophet himself rarely spoke about Islam and persuaded people to join Islam; De facto he Mohammed (SAW) made people adore and join Islam through his character and beautiful way of life, not through his words. So please don't believe widespread media as a source for facts of Islam, I like your option of though you did by looking for your own knowledge instead of being a sheep and following lies about Islam. Thank you for your interest into Islam and I hope it has cleared your negativity, if not, I am happy to answer more questions because I'm not going to sleep after dawn as it is Ramadan and I have to pray and fast tonight. Thank you
Original post by HamzaP147
. As the prophet himself rarely spoke about Islam and persuaded people to join Islam; De facto he Mohammed (SAW) made people adore and join Islam through his character and beautiful way of life, not through his words.

mohammed managed to convert only a few thousand to islam this way. you should note that military conquests of the later caliphates converted many millions more than mohammed managed to, mainly by the sword. you also cannot be ignorant to he fact that many of the poorests of the poor converted to islam to benefit form charity - and are still poor today
Original post by German123
Its not just that charity, look at oxfam and water aid, they collect money off you(by your choice of course) but only a small amount goes out there to those that need it.

but none of these have been shown to divert monies deliberalty to terrorist groups like islamists
1) It's a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee, which comprises of 12 other charities including Oxfam and Save the Children. Much regulation is necessary to be granted such status as a humanitarian organisation.

2) They help, as you seem to put it: "the kafir", just look at their emergency Nepal fund!

Quit the ignorance and prejudice, please, and do some research yourself instead of spewing hate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Syria and Palestine have been heavily affected by war. The struggle is beyond believe. How are you going to call these innocent children terrorists? :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest