The Student Room Group

This is what Feminism has done to our culture

this image is based on the american law case which took place late last year:
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a33751/occidental-justice-case/

so basically, to sum up the story in a nifty little sentence: guy and girl have sex; guy and girl are both drunk; girl texts her friend "I'm about to have sex" and texts the guy "did you bring a condom?"; because she was drunk, the guy, whom was also drunk, gets charged with sexual assault regardless of the evidence of her consent.

feminism is usually (attemptedly) described as the concept of equality between men and women, but the movement that "feminism" has been pedalling recently (especially in my own university) is the 'if she's drunk she can't consent' nonsense, or rather, the "yes mean yes"/"no means no" and "never okay (referring to perceived sexual harassment" phrases (images below for more detail):

Spoiler

it is clear that, in some ways, feminism and it's influence in the legal system (in the UK; perfect proof with the the new DPP directive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11375667/Men-must-prove-a-woman-said-Yes-under-tough-new-rape-rules.html) has caused men to perpetually be blamed or punished for acts which are not even illegitimate (if it is perfectly clear that there was implied consent to a perfectly legal act, sex) in a matter which makes the claim of "patriarchy" nonsensical. it has basically led to a rather dominant belief that women are never to be held responsible for their own actions, or if they get drunk and regret what they have done, this calls for the man to be shamed for this. where is the equality here? why don't women have to prove that men "absolutely and unambiguously vocally affirmed~" to sex (consented) (california's new consent law is an example of this: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/09/29/352482932/california-enacts-yes-means-yes-law-defining-sexual-consent) while men do for women's? why aren't women charged for having sex with drunk men? why are men demonised for doing the same acts as women? why are we supposed to believe that alcohol, a mind altering substance which a person voluntarily consumes, causes their actions to be non-voluntary for women when, if they were to commit a crime (e.g. offences against the person, a property offence, etc) they *would* be held responsible despite any influence of alcohol? the modern feminist movement is leading to obvious contradictions such as this and rules which discriminate unfairly and harshly against men for no reason at all other than the fact that feminists have created this movement which has put pressure on those in authority to be misandristic to men, unless "it's rape", or "that's sexist against women". it's caused radical feminism to be the face of "equality" to many governments in the west and this is obviously ridiculous when it comes to issues like this where there is an actively discriminating law against one gender and not the other

doesn't anybody else at least partly agree with what I'm saying? isn't this "rape culture" propaganda all just a movement to lump women's sexual or cultural responsibilities upon men, and to never frame women, regarding sex, as the ones with any individual responsibility? yes, I know rape culture isn't just about this and also about things like cat calling, before anybody mentions this fact - with the cat calling stuff you could say that a woman wearing a revealing top doesn't give her a reasonable right to act aggressively to men who "look" at her when we have a free society where sexuality exists
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I find the argument half invalid at times, because what if a guy says no when he's drunk and the girl does it anyway, is that rape too or do we ignore it because feminists dont entirely consider that aspect?

Suppose the Ched Evans case springs to my mind with this. Not stirring the hornets nest, but that was a patchy situation.
Reply 2
Feminism is a vicious movement that is not focused on equality but female dominance

We've reached a point in society where we the average woman is practically the same as the average man, but feminists use this small gap to their advantage. They don't want equality because it means they'd finally be treated the same, but they'll campaign for it while looking the other way when situations like this occur.

It's like that article the Guardian posted about a bar in New York giving women 77% less on beer because that's allegedly what women make compared to men, but then they posted an article the next day about how women between 21-28 are earning more than men that age and how great it was.
Reply 3
Why can't we be consistent with consent?

If a drunk women cannot consent to sex, why can she still consent to trade?

Anyone who has sold a kebab or even another alcoholic drink to drunk woman to be prosecuted for theft!
Also anyone who has let a drunk female friend crash at their place should be prosecuted for kidnapping.
But they were both drunk, what if the guy couldn't consent? :s-smilie:
Original post by bassbabe
But they were both drunk, what if the guy couldn't consent? :s-smilie:

either they both couldn't consent and therefore they raped each other which is nonsense, or they both *could* consent because alcohol doesn't override the will if it is taken voluntarily (my opinion)
The most disgusting thing I have seen is how an underage boy was raped by a middle-age woman who then got pregnant. Then he was forced to pay child support from the day he turned 19.
Man receives sex act while blacked out, gets accused of sexual assault: washingtonexaminer.com has a story (ipad won't paste long link)
Original post by BasicMistake
The most disgusting thing I have seen is how an underage boy was raped by a middle-age woman who then got pregnant. Then he was forced to pay child support from the day he turned 19.

yeah I heard about that one - it *amazes* me that feminists aren't highlighting this as an issue in our society. this kind of problem makes me sick to my stomach. a person who is legally raped (based on the age of consent) still takes responsibility for the rapist's actions. reminds me of a woman being forced to marry her rapist in sharia law countries like saudi arabia
Reply 9
Can I just point out that English consent law is much better than this poster portrays and I'm not even sure it reflects the American position in the majority of cases. The lack of nuance in the poster is disturbing.
Original post by Wattsy
Can I just point out that English consent law is much better than this poster portrays and I'm not even sure it reflects the American position in the majority of cases. The lack of nuance in the poster is disturbing.

what do you mean? the DPP is now saying that men *must* get vocal consent from a woman or it's not consent - I put a link to that in the opening message
Original post by zippity.doodah
yeah I heard about that one - it *amazes* me that feminists aren't highlighting this as an issue in our society. this kind of problem makes me sick to my stomach. a person who is legally raped (based on the age of consent) still takes responsibility for the rapist's actions. reminds me of a woman being forced to marry her rapist in sharia law countries like saudi arabia

They won't highlight it because it doesn't suit their agenda; feminists need to keep the prejudice that the woman is always the victim.

If I sound like I am anti-feminist, I would like to point out that I support full equality between both genders but it seems that modern feminism in the West is getting ridiculous.
either they both couldn't consent and therefore they raped each other which is nonsense, or they both *could* consent because alcohol doesn't override the will if it is taken voluntarily (my opinion)

The whole thing just seems very unfair to me how only the girl can't give consent apparently. What would the outcome be with gay couples- two drunk guys/ girls?
Reply 13
what do you mean? the DPP is now saying that men *must* get vocal consent from a woman or it's not consent - I put a link to that in the opening message

Forget the DPP. A judge hears your case if it holds up that far and the case law indicates that drunk and too drunk to consent are two quite separate things. Mere intoxication followed by regret is not enough to qualify as rape.
Original post by Wattsy
Forget the DPP. A judge hears your case if it holds up that far and the case law indicates that drunk and too drunk to consent are two quite separate things. Mere intoxication followed by regret is not enough to qualify as rape.

you expect judges to not take the guidance? have they done this very much in the past?
Original post by bassbabe
The whole thing just seems very unfair to me how only the girl can't give consent apparently. What would the outcome be with gay couples- two drunk guys/ girls?

I personally think that "feminism" is causing women to be treated as less than men because men are supposedly responsible and integral enough to take blame, but women, kind of like children, are see as persons who can't be seen to be responsible individuals under the eyes of the law - if women want to "empower" women, it's not by making women seem too immature to do things like consent to sex while voluntarily drinking. surely it is sensible in 2015 to say that both men and women are just as responsible as each other? and surely "equality" means equality of treatment under the law (as they are equal as people)? these kinds of ideas are surprisingly not a part of mainstream modern feminism with ideas of quotas, greater funding for things relating to girls/women, (positive or negative) discrimination laws, etc
Reply 16
Feminism is pure filth.
Only a feminist could come up with this sort of logic
Silly poster. Whilst I agree with the core goal of feminism(equality for both sexes) I disagree with the way its approached and more often than not feel the movement is more about female superiority rather than female equality. Not saying femisim doesn't tackle legitment issues, but stuff like that poster is why many these days are finding it hard to sympathise with the movement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jibola240
Silly poster. Whilst I agree with the core goal of feminism(equality for both sexes) I disagree with the way its approached and more often than not feel the movement is more about female superiority rather than female equality. Not saying femisim doesn't tackle legitment issues, but stuff like that poster is why many these days are finding it hard to sympathise with the movement.

I don't think anybody really disagrees with equality between the sexes in 2015, but when a movement of equality has to label itself, that's a dead give away that it's not simply about equality, because seeing as everybody already believes in that equality, the movement would be redundant - feminism today is about lowering the status of men as if this makes women more equal, but it's come to the point where men are actually less valued in both law and society than women are, in a lot of ways
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending