The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The class I was given was a C and below class with one girl who was predicted an A*. I took over teaching them in January after their teacher who'd had them since y9 left at Christmas! So needless to say wasn't the best start.

I predicted half the class a G/U and the other half range from E-C. (A lot of international new arrivals)

So I'm not expecting much but there are a couple of kids I'd love to see get a C. And some kids that were in my form but taught History by a different teacher - I'd love to see them get the grades they deserve.

On the whole I'm not sure how it will go, but the school is under a lot of pressure as they only got 40% A*-C last year.
Cannot believe my results!!

All my C/D borderline pupils got B's!! And some of them got A*''s and A's on the paper that I taught them! (I took over their class in January)

So happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Cannot believe my results!!

All my C/D borderline pupils got B's!! And some of them got A*''s and A's on the paper that I taught them! (I took over their class in January)

So happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! Will teach the school a lesson for not retaining you. Happy for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well 100% A*-C for my top set.

English Language was majority Bs, a handful of A*-As and only a few Cs.

English Lit was majority As, the rest Bs and only one C.

Fairly happy with that!

Now the hard work begins for the next year 11 cohort.
Phew, mine were all in line with what I'd predicted, no nasty shocks.

My A*-C rate isn't amazing (just over 50%) but given that in most schools MFL is optional whereas mine are forced to do it (and were an all boys class, some of whom had mucked around for most of KS3), I'm reasonably happy.

My top candidate managed to get their A*, and there were a couple of Bs too.

The best thing for me was two boys who had really struggled to get their C who were absolutely delighted.

There were a couple of pupils who I'd hoped would have managed to get a C but didn't make it. But that's because they didn't show up to the extra classes I put on, which might have helped them, and one outright refused to do a controlled assessment retake that he needed. Overall I feel they all got what they deserved and I feel like the results are fair, which is the main thing.
Congratulations to all of you for your class' results!!
The dread of going back - I have only roughly planned for the first few weeks.

The best way to learn names is via a seating plan. I have all my seating plans in plastic wallets and then carry them when I teach (was told to do this by an exp teacher who always does it at the start of the year) it works well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pgce2013
The dread of going back - I have only roughly planned for the first few weeks.

The best way to learn names is via a seating plan. I have all my seating plans in plastic wallets and then carry them when I teach (was told to do this by an exp teacher who always does it at the start of the year) it works well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was the policy of our school to go for alphabetical order, and I found it much quicker to learn the names that way. Then they can move seats when they've earned it. But then I'm (was) old school.
I've done most of my seating plans, and they're all done on a completely different basis, depending on the class!

Y7 - alphabetical until I know them

Y8 and 9 - roughly based on attainment data and my knowledge of some pupils. Groups of less able/more able pupils seated together so I can support/push them more easily as required. Based on behaviour and ability.

Y10 - one group are allowed to choose their own seats as I can trust them. They have to change regularly as it's a class of 34 so if someone is absent others will take their seat rather than having to put a chair on the end of a row. My other group is sillier and chattier and are staying in the seating plan I spent ages working on in about May of Y9. Based on behaviour, not ability, but if pupils work well with a friend I try to keep them together.

Y11 - I'm going for seating by ability as some of my more able pupils are pulling themselves down because they spend lesson time helping their less able friends to do the basic stuff instead of moving onto extension tasks. So my top set is having an A-grade cluster and my bottom set is having a potential C grade cluster. In the bottom set it's also down to what qualification they're taking as I'm teaching two different specifications in one room since some aren't capable of accessing the GCSE. Fun times...
You sound organised Myrtille!

I'm starting to panic a bit. I'm moving on Friday and go back to school on Tuesday. Urgently need to sort out my maths MTP to match our new assessments and figure out what on earth I need to do in my new role as computing coordinator. I know I need to write some policies and sort out agreed use policies with new members of staff, but the list is really a lot longer (I'm just pretending it doesn't exist at the moment!!!).

I also need to get my first full week planned properly (the 3 days when they first come back are all baseline tests etc) and check the topic and science plans from last year to make adjustments as needed.

And of course I also need to pack everything I own and get moved in... Argh!
Original post by myrtille
I've done most of my seating plans, and they're all done on a completely different basis, depending on the class!

Y7 - alphabetical until I know them

Y8 and 9 - roughly based on attainment data and my knowledge of some pupils. Groups of less able/more able pupils seated together so I can support/push them more easily as required. Based on behaviour and ability.

Y10 - one group are allowed to choose their own seats as I can trust them. They have to change regularly as it's a class of 34 so if someone is absent others will take their seat rather than having to put a chair on the end of a row. My other group is sillier and chattier and are staying in the seating plan I spent ages working on in about May of Y9. Based on behaviour, not ability, but if pupils work well with a friend I try to keep them together.

Y11 - I'm going for seating by ability as some of my more able pupils are pulling themselves down because they spend lesson time helping their less able friends to do the basic stuff instead of moving onto extension tasks. So my top set is having an A-grade cluster and my bottom set is having a potential C grade cluster. In the bottom set it's also down to what qualification they're taking as I'm teaching two different specifications in one room since some aren't capable of accessing the GCSE. Fun times...

I used to teach classes of this size once upon a time, but I got very used to the luxury of small classes and I honestly don't know how I'd cope if I had to do it again.
I can't do my seating plans because the only way I can get class lists is to use Sims Learning Gateway which if you haven't used it before, is the worst website in existence.

My old school had a virtual desktop so I could log on, wish my new one did :frown:
Original post by outlaw-torn
I can't do my seating plans because the only way I can get class lists is to use Sims Learning Gateway which if you haven't used it before, is the worst website in existence.

My old school had a virtual desktop so I could log on, wish my new one did :frown:

In a closely contested field of crap school management systems.
Ugh yes, I remember using SIMS gateway at one of my placement schools and it was awful.

I don't have access to registers either, I just know that my Y11 groups are my Y10 groups from last year (other than one pupil being moved bands) and my Y10 groups are my Y9 groups from last year, so that was easy enough, and my HoD emailed us lists of Y8 groups.

I'm lucky that my class of 34 is the most conscientious, well-behaved class I have ever met. I can't imagine teaching a group that size if they weren't, but fortunately they are the kind of class that often works in silence without being asked. I'm slightly dreading GCSE controlled assessments with them in terms of the marking workload, and how long it's going to take to conduct all the speaking assessments (as well as the class of 34, I have another Y10 class of 31 - both top sets so they write and say rather a lot). But they're fantastic so I can't complain.
Had my first day back with pupils today and it was pretty good overall.

Tutor group has moved from after lunch to first thing in the morning and my class were so much more punctual and well-behaved.

I had 2 new Y7 groups and they were both on their best behaviour so hopefully they'll keep it up. They seemed quite low ability but nice.

My Y10s are my Y9s from last year so I know and love them already. One group is way too chatty and I need to clamp down on it because I am so fed up of pupils who try to have their own conversation when I'm talking. They're nice kids in a top set group, so I've never gone the whole hog and kicked one of them out of my lesson (resulting in a phonecall home and after-school detention) but I think I'm going to have to make an example of someone.

I was dreading bottom set Y11 last lesson of the day, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The usual characters did virtually no work and kept calling out, but they all sat in my new seating plan with pretty much no fuss and we actually got through a fair bit of work.

I've had to talk a lot with explaining course structures, going through new presentation guidelines etc. and my throat is sore already. Slightly worrying that I'm resorting to hot honey and lemon already...
Original post by myrtille
Had my first day back with pupils today and it was pretty good overall.

Tutor group has moved from after lunch to first thing in the morning and my class were so much more punctual and well-behaved.

I had 2 new Y7 groups and they were both on their best behaviour so hopefully they'll keep it up. They seemed quite low ability but nice.

My Y10s are my Y9s from last year so I know and love them already. One group is way too chatty and I need to clamp down on it because I am so fed up of pupils who try to have their own conversation when I'm talking. They're nice kids in a top set group, so I've never gone the whole hog and kicked one of them out of my lesson (resulting in a phonecall home and after-school detention) but I think I'm going to have to make an example of someone.

I was dreading bottom set Y11 last lesson of the day, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The usual characters did virtually no work and kept calling out, but they all sat in my new seating plan with pretty much no fuss and we actually got through a fair bit of work.

I've had to talk a lot with explaining course structures, going through new presentation guidelines etc. and my throat is sore already. Slightly worrying that I'm resorting to hot honey and lemon already...

Standard for a six week rest of the vocal cords. They'll soon toughen up again.
So one more day before I return!

Been looking forward to it for weeks but now I'm feeling the fear again. I only have one class from last year - the rest are all new so it's almost like starting again. I'm hoping that it will be easier now I know what to expect and can try and modify and improve my behaviour management strategies. My primary aim is to ring home loads. For mostly good but for bad too - I think it's importnt to keep in contact with parents other than the odd report home and parents' evenings.

I'm also going to be relentless with non-negotiables; mobile phones, talking when I'm talking, talking when another pupil is giving an answer.

I also want to improve my relationship with my form - I feel like ive been focusing on a small handful of silly pupils rather than getting to know the quiet ones.
So how's everyone's first week back gone then for us RQTs?

I'm feeling really positive at the minute. Met most of my classes and while it's been tough with some I'm really pleased with how I've approached the initial meetings so far this year. Completely different from last year - I've got every class to line up, to stand behind their chairs and do a formal greeting before sitting down and I've not let anybody mess about at all. There's only one class so far that's given me a bit of hassle but when I say class I mean about 3 pupils from the class. I've written names on the board early and assured them I will make parental contact even this early if attitudes don't improve.

Planning wise I'm still only a day ahead because of the new GCSE specifications and marking hasn't begun yet but I'm really chuffed that I'm learning from my mistakes from this time last year. A nice bonus has been that my year 11 class who I had last year have come back with an excellent attitude; I'm made up with them so far.

I know not to get complacent though - I need to maintain this approach for weeks and months if I have to just so the classes know I will not tolerate messing about, disrupting learning or rude behaviour this year.
I started back today on INSET. I've come home with a mahoosive headache already :cry:
I came back today on inset too. Massive headache and feel stressed already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending