The Student Room Group

Combined Honours

Hi, I'm thinking of doing an Open Degree which is basically the Open Uni's degree in which you can study more than one subject. I'm thinking about studying History and a form of English. Do you think that would be a good decision considering that I want to go into Education but want to keep my options open? And if anyone has had experience of doing combined honours, I would love to hear your opinions on it. Thank you.
Original post by SomeSweetStuff
Hi, I'm thinking of doing an Open Degree which is basically the Open Uni's degree in which you can study more than one subject. I'm thinking about studying History and a form of English. Do you think that would be a good decision considering that I want to go into Education but want to keep my options open? And if anyone has had experience of doing combined honours, I would love to hear your opinions on it. Thank you.

Hey, whilst I'm not studying at the Open University, I do study a combined honours degree in Ancient History and Biological Sciences. Personally, I think there are plenty of benefits in doing this as it allows you to explore your interests a bit more and, as you said, keeps your options open. You could go down either path and that's what I find great about it. I also like the way I can study two different things, it makes it more interesting for me! If you enjoy both, I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and study them :smile: Some would argue the disadvantage is that you're not going into enough detail and don't become extensively knowledgeable in one field, but I feel like my knowledge is pretty wide in both!

It's definitely something I'd recommend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=Changing Skies;57701765]Hey, whilst I'm not studying at the Open University, I do study a combined honours degree in Ancient History and Biological Sciences. Personally, I think there are plenty of benefits in doing this as it allows you to explore your interests a bit more and, as you said, keeps your options open. You could go down either path and that's what I find great about it. I also like the way I can study two different things, it makes it more interesting for me! If you enjoy both, I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and study them :smile: Some would argue the disadvantage is that you're not going into enough detail and don't become extensively knowledgeable in one field, but I feel like my knowledge is pretty wide in both!

It's definitely something I'd recommend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! What about the work load? I've heard that when you do combined honours you focus on two modules in one go rather than one at a time. Is that the case with all full time degree's or just the combined honours? Also do you think combined honours is regarded weaker than a regular degree by employers etc ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending