The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by astro17
As long as students have one of the popular current Casio calculators (the black and silver ones), they will be accepted by the university for exams. Typically medics get their calculators approved by the histology/physiology people, but u shouldn't have to worry about that until Lent term.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many medics have done maths and the calculators used for maths A level aren't always acceptable.
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sbzk101
Hi guys :smile: I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what Cambridge mean by "three most relevant subjects" in relation to UMS for medicine? I took chemistry, biology, physics and maths and did the best in chem/bio/maths so I'd like to know what the three most relevant subjects are for medicine?

Fortunately your most relevant three are your best. Physics is considered least relevant of the sciences for Medicine.
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
You would need to get A*A*A. It would be unusual to ask for anything in your fourth subject, but not unknown. It would be highly unlikely that they would ask that the A*A*A had to be met from a specific three of the four subjects given that they are all sciences, although they sometimes say "Chemistry and two others" and so on.
Higher offers are usually made where they have concerns as opposed to a decision not to offer at all, say if you had a low UMS in the Chemistry (80ish) and they might then demand an A or even A* for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone applying/studying medicine in Downing College?
Hi, I have very bad GCSE ( when I say bad I meant really bad ) but if i have 4 A's in my As level. During the time i did GCSEs i just came to England about 3 years and have to learn the new language.

Would the Universities consider my application?
Original post by Earth1
Hi, I have very bad GCSE ( when I say bad I meant really bad ) but if i have 4 A's in my As level. During the time i did GCSEs i just came to England about 3 years and have to learn the new language.

Would the Universities consider my application?

You need to contact them to discuss your situation. They may do, but no-one on here will know for sure.
Hi guys,

Just a quick question about clinical school - how hard is it to stay on at Cambridge?

Also very paranoid about PFP C as I've heard horror stories. Does anyone know when the results are out?

Thanks,

Onee-chan
Original post by Onee-chan
Hi guys,

Just a quick question about clinical school - how hard is it to stay on at Cambridge?

Also very paranoid about PFP C as I've heard horror stories. Does anyone know when the results are out?

Thanks,

Onee-chan

If you have passed all of your 2nd MB first time, should be fairly easy, though it depends on the number of places (aren't they expanding so that in a couple of years everyone will stay on?) and how many other people in your year want to stay. If you have a 1st in either first or second year you're pretty much guaranteed a place, but there were loads of people in my year who got in with 2.2s in both years. If you're going into 3rd year, there'll probably be a talk +/- open day at some point in Mich term.

Don't know about PfPC, that was a long time ago! Back in my day it wasn't particularly worse than any of the others.
Original post by Onee-chan
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Onee-chan

There were a few people in my year (I started clinical school in 2009 which I think was a couple of years after Helenia) who wanted to stay in Cambridge and did not get to stay - I think it has gradually become more competitive. If you don't have two firsts then you will need to be interviewed - make sure you prepare for this, think about the type of questions that you would have at an interview for other medical schools, and don't say you want to stay in Cambridge because all your friends want to - these are the things I think the people I know tripped up on.
Original post by *Liana*
There were a few people in my year (I started clinical school in 2009 which I think was a couple of years after Helenia) who wanted to stay in Cambridge and did not get to stay - I think it has gradually become more competitive. If you don't have two firsts then you will need to be interviewed - make sure you prepare for this, think about the type of questions that you would have at an interview for other medical schools, and don't say you want to stay in Cambridge because all your friends want to - these are the things I think the people I know tripped up on.

Oh yes, there were a few people in my year who wanted to stay and weren't allowed, but overall the majority got their first choice. If you go to the open day and make a note of what they tell you about their course and why it's different from London etc, those are the sorts of things you want to mention in interview!
Original post by *Liana*

Original post by Helenia
Oh yes, there were a few people in my year who wanted to stay and weren't allowed, but overall the majority got their first choice. If you go to the open day and make a note of what they tell you about their course and why it's different from London etc, those are the sorts of things you want to mention in interview!

Hi Liana and Helenia,

Thanks for the replies! I'll go to the open day and see then haha, thank you! xx
I am curious how heavy the writing requirements are for medical students. I assume it is not like the humanities and social sciences, which are very writing intensive.

What does the work routine consist of? What are the relative tasks each week?
Reply 2255
Original post by alcibiade
I am curious how heavy the writing requirements are for medical students. I assume it is not like the humanities and social sciences, which are very writing intensive.

What does the work routine consist of? What are the relative tasks each week?

I get like a min of 3 essays a week but this week the supervisors went mental and set us 5 to do. I'm going to do another one after another hour I think.

It depends on your college, some get many, some get few.

On top of that, you might get a few sheets of MCQs or short questions to answer. Depends on supervisors, colleges and the topic you're currently on.
Original post by 566
I get like a min of 3 essays a week but this week the supervisors went mental and set us 5 to do. I'm going to do another one after another hour I think.

It depends on your college, some get many, some get few.

On top of that, you might get a few sheets of MCQs or short questions to answer. Depends on supervisors, colleges and the topic you're currently on.

Thanks.
I really want to study Medicine (the A100) course at Cambridge, however I am pretty unhappy with my iGCSE marks:

Double Award Science: A* A*
English Language & Literature: A* A*
Geography: A*
Global Perspectives: A*
French: A
Maths: B
Drama: B

So out of my 8 subjects, I received 6A*s, 1A and 2Bs.

I am most unhappy about the B in mathematics.

However, I am now doing the IB and I'm predicted a 7 in maths (the equivalent of an A* for A levels) and 7s and 6s for all of my other subjects. I have worked very hard to get my grades up. My Higher Levels (equivalent to the A level) stand at a 776 and my standard level subjects are at around a 767 as well.

Do I have a chance to get an offer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aprilreverie
I really want to study Medicine (the A100) course at Cambridge, however I am pretty unhappy with my iGCSE marks:

Double Award Science: A* A*
English Literature: A*
Geography: A*
Global Perspectives: A*
English Language: A*
French: A
Maths: B
Drama: B

So out of my 8 subjects, I received 6A*s, 1A and 2Bs.

I am most unhappy about the B in mathematics.

However, I am now doing the IB and I'm predicted a 7 in maths (the equivalent of an A* for A levels) and 7s and 6s for all of my other subjects. I have worked very hard to get my grades up. My Higher Levels (equivalent to the A level) stand at a 776 and my standard level subjects are at around a 767 as well.

Do I have a chance to get an offer?

Firstly ask yourself why Cambridge. Many people think that other medical courses are better preparation for being a doctor than the very science & research based Cambridge course. You only get four choices and it is not uncommon for good candidates to end up with no offers. If I am correct in judging that you are an international candidate the competition is especially fierce.

As regards your grades, yes it is possible, but bear in mind that your GCSE grades will be well below the typical 8-10A* and you will not be able to give the comfort of very high UMS at AS. The B in maths is definitely an issue.

If you applied with a strong application and post qualification 7,7,7, in the 43+ range you would have a much better chance and the GCSE problem would be much less.
Original post by Colmans
Firstly ask yourself why Cambridge. Many people think that other medical courses are better preparation for being a doctor than the very science & research based Cambridge course. You only get four choices and it is not uncommon for good candidates to end up with no offers. If I am correct in judging that you are an international candidate the competition is especially fierce.

As regards your grades, yes it is possible, but bear in mind that your GCSE grades will be well below the typical 8-10A* and you will not be able to give the comfort of very high UMS at AS. The B in maths is definitely an issue.

If you applied with a strong application and post qualification 7,7,7, in the 43+ range you would have a much better chance and the GCSE problem would be much less.

Hi :smile: It wouldn't have been possible for me to get 8-10*s as my school only allowed for the students to do 7 subjects. I'm not quite sure what a UMS is as I do not take A levels so I'm not sure if that applies to me? And I'm predicted a 44 out of 45, I hope this masks up the B (I'm so scared.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending