The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Windmill Lane

Me and my friends are currently searching for a house for next year, and by searching on the internet I've found one or two nice houses on Windmill Lane. It seems to be really close to the uni, which is the main thing that's we're looking for. However it seems like there aren't many houses available for this particular location, and no one knows anything about it. So has anyone heard of this place, and what do you think of it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its quite a nice place. Close to Tang Hall so not brilliant but as you say its close to uni so very convenient. Its just beside Alcuin, go through the science park to get to it.
University of York
York
Yeah it's right near Next Gen gym and the Black Bull pub! It's only got houses on one side so that might be a reason there aren't many student houses - the rest are presumably for locals
Reply 3
I live just off Windmill Lane. They're all new-build, so completely characterless. If that's your thing then great. Double-glazing is a boon, though! It is quite close to campus, but no closer than Hes Road or the Shell garage area, and given how far it is to town, I'd suggest you look that side of uni (unless you don't intend to go to town, ever - esp. at night!)
Reply 4
I think the houses look quite nice actually! Surely if it's close to the uni, I could just get the bus from there, anyway? How safe is the area, given it's near Tang Hall?

Oh, and thanks to everyone who replied :biggrin:
The number 10 or 8 (can't remember which, or maybe both) goes down Hull Road to town, which is right at the end of Windmill Lane, but it depends on where the house is. Otherwise, Derwent isn't that far away if you walk through the Science Park and towards Heslington
Reply 6
happyslacker
I think the houses look quite nice actually! Surely if it's close to the uni, I could just get the bus from there, anyway? How safe is the area, given it's near Tang Hall?

Oh, and thanks to everyone who replied :biggrin:

It's very safe - never see anyone but students on the road, etc. etc. It's not really anywhere near Tang Hall Lane, and I'm not even sure the Carlton Avenue-area is still Tang Hall...

It's annoying having to get buses everywhere though. The 10 stops too early to be any use if you're going out in the evening, and the 4 stop is still a 10 minute walk away - not far, obviously, but you can get houses that are a 10 minute walk to town and a 10 minute walk to campus (Belle Vue, and stuff towards the bottom of Hes Road). Yeah, the houses won't be so well insulated but I guess it's up to you what you prefer...
I thought Tang Hall Lane was the road just opposite Windmill Lane - on the other side of the traffic lights..?
It is. It depends where on Windmill Lane you're talking about though - unless you're right at the top of it (Hull Road end), you won't be particularly close to Tang Hall.
I've been along Windmill Lane quite a few times, it seems nice to me. And just at the South end of it, it opens up into the fields and long views (of the A64), so its quite a nice place, I guess.

Cycle route into town would be all along the main road at the North of Windmill Lane.. Lawrence st/Hull road, is it? Direct, but not pleasant.
Reply 10
I guess it was just me that didn't know anything about the Tang Hall stigma until after he'd found a house :frown:
Never mind, the house seems nice enough and I'm not sure it's right in Tang Hall.
What is the problem with Tang Hall?

Nothing much at all really. It's got a reputation based on reputation. I lived there for 8 months and had no serious problems. It was the same as anywhere else. You just had more kids plaing out on the street (and one an abandonded car at the end of my street, windows all shmashed!) Other people I know who lived there have had no serious problems either.

I mean, this is York. It's not exactly going to have massive problems on a large scale anywhere. Parts of Tang Hall are very convienint for both uni and town. It's often cheaper than other areas too due to this 'reputation'.

But back to windmill Lane.... not really anything to do with Tang Hall at all. Only story I have to tell about the place is the incident a couple of years ago when police were called as someone was on the street with a gun...think they were shouting at or threatening students with it.

But this sort of thing can happen anywhere. No one was hurt either. I have 5 years worth of stories like that. So a jigged memory will give me a similar story about most places in York :smile:
Reply 12
Where abouts in Tang Hall is your house Leigh? We've got one there for next year...Temple Avenue, off Tang Hall Lane. Seemed an ok area when we went to view our house, and the house is really nice!
Reply 13
Ooh I know some people on Temple Av next year Lucy, I'm on Tang Hall Lane. Are you Lucy F on my facebook?
Roger Kirk
What is the problem with Tang Hall?

Nothing much at all really. It's got a reputation based on reputation. I lived there for 8 months and had no serious problems. It was the same as anywhere else. You just had more kids plaing out on the street (and one an abandonded car at the end of my street, windows all shmashed!) Other people I know who lived there have had no serious problems either.

I mean, this is York. It's not exactly going to have massive problems on a large scale anywhere. Parts of Tang Hall are very convienint for both uni and town. It's often cheaper than other areas too due to this 'reputation'.

But back to windmill Lane.... not really anything to do with Tang Hall at all. Only story I have to tell about the place is the incident a couple of years ago when police were called as someone was on the street with a gun...think they were shouting at or threatening students with it.

But this sort of thing can happen anywhere. No one was hurt either. I have 5 years worth of stories like that. So a jigged memory will give me a similar story about most places in York :smile:

i echo all of that - esp. bit about Tang Hall. It's snobbery plain and simple, IMO.
Reply 15
KerriT
Ooh I know some people on Temple Av next year Lucy, I'm on Tang Hall Lane. Are you Lucy F on my facebook?

Really, who are they? And yes I think so!
Reply 16
Do you know a girl called Hannah doing French, German and Linguistics? She used to be on here so she's probably on your msn.
Reply 17
KerriT
Do you know a girl called Hannah doing French, German and Linguistics? She used to be on here so she's probably on your msn.

I DO!!!
Reply 18
Weird world!
Reply 19
I live just off windmill lane on Beaufort Close. If you manage to get one of the houses around that area (Sails drive, Windwill lane, Beaufort Close) then i would definitely recommend it. Very close to uni and the black bull and a very quiet area. A downside is that the Hull Road end is closed off so if you want to get a taxi back from town, to avoid paying an extra load of money to go all the way around the back end (past heslington) then you get off either just at the corner of the road to get to Next Gen or into the science park. Little annoying but its just one of those things.

Latest

Trending

Trending