The Student Room Group

Sikh and Hindu Interfaith relationships

As a Punjabi Sikh male living in London, I have always wondered why we dont see more of these relationships happening. When there are large population of both Sikhs and Hindus in London.

I mean we have so much in common in terms of a rich cultural backgrounds ect that we should be proud of.
But it seems Sikhs and Hindus or shall we say Punjabi Sikhs and Gujarati Hindus will more likely date a person of another race altogether then with each other.This is ridiculous when we are the same people.

This is not right. we should be sticking together not marrying white or non Sikh or non Hindu people.
But its a shame that we are seeing many of our people marrying other races and religions.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A couple of my friends at Uni were in a Sikh-Hindu relationship and they had to hide it from certain people that they knew because they disapproved of it. And I mean disapproval to the point of threatening violence. Never understood why to be honest.
It's a tough situation.

My dad is Hindu Punjabi and my mum is Sikh, however my dad's side of the family never approved of my mum, because she is a Sikh. To this day, they still do not approve of it - and I don't know the exact reasons behind it. From my experience, my parents would prefer I marry Hindu (Punjabi) or Sikh. They wouldn't mind a Hindu Gujarati, but they wouldn't be so keen, as they would generally prefer someone who has Punjabi in them.
Reply 3
Original post by Wyrley
A couple of my friends at Uni were in a Sikh-Hindu relationship and they had to hide it from certain people that they knew because they disapproved of it. And I mean disapproval to the point of threatening violence. Never understood why to be honest.

That is a bit extreme. why is there so much resentment for these relationships? Its funny they probably would have been so violent if the person was white.

Infact they would have celebrated it.
Reply 4
Original post by NishaaaR
It's a tough situation.

My dad is Hindu Punjabi and my mum is Sikh, however my dad's side of the family never approved of my mum, because she is a Sikh. To this day, they still do not approve of it - and I don't know the exact reasons behind it. From my experience, my parents would prefer I marry Hindu (Punjabi) or Sikh. They wouldn't mind a Hindu Gujarati, but they wouldn't be so keen, as they would generally prefer someone who has Punjabi in them.

That is awful.
Why did they discriminate against your Sikh mother? And did they force her to convert to Hinduism?

Well I know Punjabis and Gujaratis have slightly different customs and traditions. But why should that stop relationships and marriages from taking place.
Infact it really annoys me when I see a Hindu or Sikh with a white or other background person. when we should be sticking together and celebrating our similarities not fighting each other over little differences.

I would not mind marrying or dating Hindu Gujarati girl but where I live its mostly white people and no indians unfortunately.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d
That is awful.
Why did they discriminate against your Sikh mother? And did they force her to convert to Hinduism?

Well I know Punjabis and Gujaratis have slightly different customs and traditions. But why should that stop relationships and marriages from taking place.
Infact it really annoys me when I see a Hindu or Sikh with a white or other background person. when we should be sticking together and celebrating our similarities not fighting each other over little differences.

I would not mind marrying or dating Hindu Gujarati girl but where I live its mostly white people and no indians unfortunately.

My mum doesn't really understand why they did. Nah, they never tried to convert, as she wouldn't have been considered Hindu Punjabi by blood. It's silly.

Aye, I agree. Although I'm personally not fussed about dating people outside my religion, or whatever - as long as the person understands or wants to learn about my culture. In my eyes it buckles down to preference. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My mum doesn't really understand why they did. Nah, they never tried to convert, as she wouldn't have been considered Hindu Punjabi by blood. It's silly.

Aye, I agree. Although I'm personally not fussed about dating people outside my religion, or whatever - as long as the person understands or wants to learn about my culture. In my eyes it buckles down to preference. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

She would not be considered Hindu? Thats the first I have heard of this. I thought it was usually Sikhs who were more extreme when it came to religion. ie demanding that the other person convert.

Well hopefully we will see more marriages between Sikhs and Hindus in the future. I am not saying that I would go out of my way to find a Hindu girl. But if It happened that I fell in love then I would not hesitate in marrying. As Sikhs and Hindus share so much in common.

Besides, I personally find Guji girls damn fine.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gt46d

This is not right. we should be sticking together not marrying white or non Sikh or non Hindu people.
But its a shame that we are seeing many of our people marrying other races and religions.

Yes, and it is appalling how so many white people marry blacks, we should be sticking together not marrying black or asian people - our purity is at stake!
I'm Gujarati Hindu (lol'd when I read your comment....that was bang on!) and I'm dating a Sikh girl at the moment but both of us feel awkward about the whole thing. I don't know why tbh.

It is very weird the whole situation. Although my mum has told me in the past that she wouldn't mind if I married a Punjabi girl, although I don't know if that means Sikh or Hindu Punjabi.

I think it's because we're the two biggest/most successful groups of people outside of India so there is some sort of rivalry?
Original post by gt46d

What a load of rubbish.
"We should be sticking together."
Sikhs, more than any Asian group, should know the importance of opposing 'them and us' mentalities. Look at our attitude to the caste system, for example.
Original post by gt46d
She would not be considered Hindu? Thats the first I have heard of this. I thought it was usually Sikhs who were more extreme when it came to religion. ie demanding that the other person convert.

Well hopefully we will see more marriages between Sikhs and Hindus in the future. I am not saying that I would go out of my way to find a Hindu girl. But if It happened that I fell in love then I would not hesitate in marrying. As Sikhs and Hindus share so much in common.

Besides, I personally find Guji girls damn fine.....

Lol, well that's their perspective. I disagree - they don't directly demand people to convert. I think people get confused with converting and trying to teach people the right things in life, even if it's not based around religion. I like the philosophical teachings, anyway. :smile:

Of course there will be more to come in future. It's great to understand your culture, customs and traditions - don't forget your roots, etc.

Lol, each to their own. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gt46d
As a Punjabi Sikh male living in London, I have always wondered why we dont see more of these relationships happening. When there are large population of both Sikhs and Hindus in London.

I mean we have so much in common in terms of a rich cultural backgrounds ect that we should be proud of.
But it seems Sikhs and Hindus or shall we say Punjabi Sikhs and Gujarati Hindus will more likely date a person of another race altogether such as white person then with each other.This is ridiculous.

Racist post.

Not that i am particulary attracted to hindu or sikhs though mind you.
Reply 12
Original post by claret_n_blue
I'm Gujarati Hindu (lol'd when I read your comment....that was bang on!) and I'm dating a Sikh girl at the moment but both of us feel awkward about the whole thing. I don't know why tbh.

It is very weird the whole situation. Although my mum has told me in the past that she wouldn't mind if I married a Punjabi girl, although I don't know if that means Sikh or Hindu Punjabi.

I think it's because we're the two biggest/most successful groups of people outside of India so there is some sort of rivalry?

Thanks Claret,

Yes I know what you mean. I guess we have a friendly rivalry kinda of thing . There's nothing wrong with that.Its just friendly banter. We know deep down after our own faith we are closest to each other and care for each other like brothers and sisters.

I guess it maybe also down to feeling scared that you may offend the others persons religion, traditions or customs. Which can make you feel awkward at times. I guess it takes time in the relationship so that you can learn about each others faiths and become comfortable with each other to talk about anything.

Also a Sikh girl or Hindu girl may not feel in their as comfortable when they are with their GF/BF'S family as they may feel like they are different to the rest. Which can be another issue. Gujis and Punjabi's have their own unique and amazing culture. But this is good as the person gets to experience both cultures great history and traditions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Lol, well that's their perspective. I disagree - they don't directly demand people to convert. I think people get confused with converting and trying to teach people the right things in life, even if it's not based around religion. I like the philosophical teachings, anyway. :smile:

Of course there will be more to come in future. It's great to understand your culture, customs and traditions - don't forget your roots, etc.

Lol, each to their own. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, Hopefully we can mix more with each other instead of letting small issues get in the way. we should have more unity and we will be stronger together as a community.

Its well known that Hindu Gujarati girls find Punjabi Sikh guys irresistible and vice versa. So why let anything get in the way. I say get in there lol.
Reply 14
Original post by gt46d
Yep, Hopefully we can mix more with each other instead of letting small issues get in the way. we should have more unity and we will be stronger together as a community.

Its well known that Hindu Gujarati girls find Punjabi Sikh guys irresistible and vice versa. So why let anything get in the way. I say get in there lol.

Is it well known whether Punjabi Hindu girls find Gujarati Hindu boys irresistible?
It's a tough situation.

Your parents are racists. And I hope they get hit by a bus.
Reply 16
Original post by Berchtold
Your parents are racists. And I hope they get hit by a bus.

How can you wish that on anybody? That is evil.
Original post by gt46d
How can you wish that on anybody? That is evil.

Racists like yourself are bacteria and do not deserve to be alive.
Reply 18
Original post by Berchtold
Racists like yourself are bacteria and do not deserve to be alive.

How am I racist? I have nothing against anyone's race. If I prefer to stay and marry within my own culture and religion/race that is my choice.

Why should I have to marry outside my race to prove I am not racist?
Original post by gt46d
How am I racist? I have nothing against anyone's race. If I prefer to stay and marry within my own culture and religion/race that is my choice.

Why should I have to marry outside my race to prove I am not racist?

It is not racist to want a relationship within your race. It is racist to as you have done condemn others who want a relationship outside their race and accuse them of non sticking together.

My point stands, you're a racist and a waste of oxygen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending