The Student Room Group

ORGAN DONATION - Yes or no? Opt out or Opt in?

Poll

Would you donate and which system should we have?

Hi,

I know this can be a pretty deep topic, but we talked about it in PSHE and actually got quite into the reasons why people do and don't.

So, some questions you can think about:

Would you donate an organ / your organs when you die?
Would you donate an organ while you were still alive (kidneys etc)
Do you think we should have an Opt out system or stay Opt in?

Discuss anything about it here,

Mo
We should have an opt-out system, where people who opt-out are unable to receive organ transplants
Reply 2
Original post by Morganblue68

Yes, after I'm dead I do not care what anyone does with my body. I am an organ donor and have explicitly stated that I am happy for my body to be used for anything. They can skip with my intestines for all I care. I have discussed this with my immediate family and they all have the same views so there's not likely to be any trouble about it..

Definitely for some one I knew and liked, or for someone I didn't like but felt was worth saving. Not sure I'd bother for someone I didn't know.
Opt out. I wouldn't ban people from receiving organs if they had opted out (though I would consider them to be unbelievably hypocrtical and selfish if they were prepared to receive one) but I do think people should have to make a conscious decision that they wouldn't donate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tengentoppa
We should have an opt-out system, where people who opt-out are unable to receive organ transplants

Would you say the same for blood donation?
I have no problem with organ donation when I die but I don't like the idea of an opt-out system.
Original post by Compost
Would you say the same for blood donation?

Yes. Obviously I mean people who can and choose not to as opposed to those who are simply unable to donate. The latter should still be able to accept donations
I support an op-out system, but with no pressure to donate while you're alive, if that would potentially be part of it. I believe it's very different to not necessarily want to donate an organ while you're alive, and feel that way myself, although not at all when it comes to blood. I would donate an organ to a dear friend or family member, but the idea of giving up something my body can still use and can't replace while I'm alive is serious enough to me that I wouldn't easily do it for a stranger.

When you're dead, however, I think it's selfish and silly to care what happens to your organs, outside spiritual reasons (pretty much the only reason I would have the option to opt out of it re: after death). You aren't using them, you're letting them rot in the ground or be burned to ashes while someone else could be given another chance at life with them. This rings particularly true for me in the case of people who need organ transplants for reasons that were always outside of their own control.

Whether opting out should make you ineligible to receive transplants... Well, I can see both sides when it comes to that. It seems callous, but at the same time, why should you get help you yourself refused to give?
Original post by tengentoppa

This.

I signed up to be an organ donor when I was about 17 so definitely agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
I have no problem with organ donation when I die but I don't like the idea of an opt-out system.

What makes you feel like that about the Opt out system? I know some of the views put forward in class stated that people didn't like the idea of planning after their death, as it can feel pretty morbid, but that was just one response to it. Likewise, with the Opt in System, what do you think of it?

Mo
Hi,

I know this can be a pretty deep topic, but we talked about it in PSHE and actually got quite into the reasons why people do and don't.

So, some questions you can think about:

Discuss anything about it here,

Mo

1) Yes I would. If something good can come out of death, then I'm all for it. My nan passed away recently and has donated some tissues, which In some way gives me comfort knowing that her choice to donate has saved another family from losing their loved one.
2) Yes, if it was for a family member or someone else I was close to. If I can help those closest to me I will.
3) i'm not sure. Personally I have chosen to register as have all my family, meaning that when the time comes my family don't have to make the decision and work out if their loved one would want to do it. However, i think an opt out system could lead to donations where the individual was unsure of whether to donate, whereas an opt in system means that the individual has made a conscious decision to donate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the point of being put in the ground whole? It's not like you need your body and its bits anymore its wasteful when there are people in so much need. As for the opt out imagine how much easier it would be on loved ones being asked to make the decision if you've not opt out then people are saved by your death but if you've opt out your family won't have to make such a big decision either way.
Opt out.
Well I can donate but at the same time i can't because dictors don't like useing homosexual people's organs or blood. Discrimination i tell you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Opt-out.
Are there specific rules about who can/can't donate organs? I'd say opt out system
Reply 15
I personally favour opt-in over opt-out. Whether you wish your organs to be used to save a life after your death is a personal choice at the end of the day and we should never assume ownership of the deceased's organs without evidence to say they consented.

I do NOT wish my organs to be used after death due to the potential that they could be used to save the life of someone who quite frankly should be left to rot! Well - until such time as my life is saved due to an organ transplant in which case I feel I would have a moral obligation to make my body available post mortem.

That said I have no problems with the use of my body in medical science or for students to practice on 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Opt out, especially given the popularity of cremation.
I think it's far better to donate healthy organs if you are deceased, likewise, it's also completely a personal choice- I can understand why some people do not want to donate as the thought of having your organs displaced from your body is quite disturbing and could have a negative impact on family members. I know this view may be unethical but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable giving one of my deceased relatives liver, for example, to an alcoholic whose condition is self induced.
I meant to click Opt Out DX Oh well, I think you should have to opt out of organ donation and that if your religion or anything that's not a medical thing stops you from giving organs, you shouldn't get organs.
if you are not willing to give up your organs when you die you should be willing to go without someone else's when you are still alive Imo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending