The Student Room Group

Imperial's Aeronautics Admissions Test!

Any idea about Aeronautical admission test at ICL?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just asked same question! Take it you haven't found an answer?
Hey guys, are you talking about the maths test you sit or is this a new thing this year?
Reply 3
Hi, we were told at the ICL Aero open day that if you were selected for interview that you also had to sit a maths test on same day. Just wondered what sort of test.any help with preparation would be good. Thanks.
Gotcha, I sat it last time. I remember not being able to find any info on it either! All the questions were pretty straight forward C3 or C4 things (no problem if you're doing further maths anyway) - the difficult bit was getting enough questions done in the given time (about 30 minutes I think???). A lot of the questions repeated themselves too, I think I used the product rule at least four times all in very simple questions. It's marked out of 400 (10 marks per question I think) and I got about 200 and I've got a place for this year so no worries about getting all the questions done either! I can't think of anything more than that but if you have any queries I should be able to help :smile:
Oh also! It's all done on computers, like about 30 people are taken to a computer room and you all start at once. The questions are all available on the screen for you to do in whatever order you choose and I think it's multiple choice (four options per question). You're given paper to do working out on too.
Pretty sure it's non-calculator but I don't remember really needing one.
Oh and when I say 10 marks per question, the questions aren't like a 10 mark question on an A Level paper, more like a 2 or 3, maximum 4 mark question :smile:
Oh there's some mechanics on there too! M1 and maybe some start of M2 stuff too, I remember a projectiles and a circular motion question certainly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by doodlelizzie
Oh there's some mechanics on there too! M1 and maybe some start of M2 stuff too, I remember a projectiles and a circular motion question certainly.
hi, were you on edexcel or aqa?
ocr actually
Reply 11
Thanks, that's really helpful. I did Edexcel, I'm starting further maths in yr 13 so got a lot to do to get it in one year.
Original post by SandSt
Thanks, that's really helpful. I did Edexcel, I'm starting further maths in yr 13 so got a lot to do to get it in one year.

If you've already done A2 maths you'll be absolutely fine :smile: Just make sure you know your basic formulae for graphs and differentiation and circular motion etc. and you'll have no problem. Best of luck!
Reply 13
No haven't done A2 yet just done AS maths n physics nand was doing an OCR engineering qual but found out it's not really acceptable (even tho it's meant to worth 2A levels) so dropping it and doing the whole of A level further maths along with A2 maths n physics in sept. Did M1 for AS and got A grade, got As in C1and C2 also, have started bit of C3 during hols so hope I be ok if lucky enough to get to interview stage.
Original post by SandSt
No haven't done A2 yet just done AS maths n physics nand was doing an OCR engineering qual but found out it's not really acceptable (even tho it's meant to worth 2A levels) so dropping it and doing the whole of A level further maths along with A2 maths n physics in sept. Did M1 for AS and got A grade, got As in C1and C2 also, have started bit of C3 during hols so hope I be ok if lucky enough to get to interview stage.

Ah I see! Well, interviews are around November time so you will have enough maths by then. And if you come across a question and think "I don't know how to do this" you can move on to the next question and because you won't finish all the questions anyway it hopefully won't make all that much of a difference :smile:
Original post by doodlelizzie
Ah I see! Well, interviews are around November time so you will have enough maths by then. And if you come across a question and think "I don't know how to do this" you can move on to the next question and because you won't finish all the questions anyway it hopefully won't make all that much of a difference :smile:

Hi there, I just found out today that I got an interview for the 27th, and i'm really nervous for this maths test as our school hasn't really covered C3 differentiation or C4 Integration yet, so do you think it would be wise to teach topics such as chain rule and double angle formulas myself? And also another thing, I was looking at Statistics for Aeronautical engineering at imperial but could only find some for imperials Mechanics degree, and it stated around 1 in 5 applicants get an interview and around 90% of those who are interviewed are offered a place, do you think this is roughly true for the aeronautical degree to? Also thanks so much for the other replies, they have helped out a lot! :smile:
fyi I have seen your post and shall try to reply this evening! x
Reply 17
Original post by Hisoka-_-
Hi there, I just found out today that I got an interview for the 27th, and i'm really nervous for this maths test as our school hasn't really covered C3 differentiation or C4 Integration yet, so do you think it would be wise to teach topics such as chain rule and double angle formulas myself? And also another thing, I was looking at Statistics for Aeronautical engineering at imperial but could only find some for imperials Mechanics degree, and it stated around 1 in 5 applicants get an interview and around 90% of those who are interviewed are offered a place, do you think this is roughly true for the aeronautical degree to? Also thanks so much for the other replies, they have helped out a lot! :smile:

My interview is on the 25th and I feel at a bit of a disadvantage, especially to those who take Further Maths! My school's also only started C3 but I'd look at differentiation if I were you, I'm also going to try and cover as much C3 as possible before the interview.
As for those stats, I think it might be a bit more competitive for aeronautical engineering. The expected intake for mechanical engineering is 160 compared to 110 for aeronautical engineering >.<
Reply 18
The test itself is very easy, just make sure you are quick. The interview can be either casual or extremely difficult with high level mechanics questions. Just hope you get an easy interviewer.
Original post by Cyka
My interview is on the 25th and I feel at a bit of a disadvantage, especially to those who take Further Maths! My school's also only started C3 but I'd look at differentiation if I were you, I'm also going to try and cover as much C3 as possible before the interview.
As for those stats, I think it might be a bit more competitive for aeronautical engineering. The expected intake for mechanical engineering is 160 compared to 110 for aeronautical engineering >.<

Probably less people will apply for aeronautical engineering then...don't worry that much about it..

Quick Reply

Latest