The Student Room Group

Good English Lit/Creative Writing Unis?

Hey there!

I'm currently in Year 12 and in September I'll be applying to university, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows any good universities for English Literature and Creative Writing, as it's been an interest of mine for a while and I'd love to study it further.

I've had a look so far and two that catch my attention are Lancaster and Edge Hill, which I am planning to attend the open days for, and I'm currently looking through the UCAS website for courses, but any first hand recommendations would be great!
Oxbridge/ Durham
Exeter
East Anglia
Southampton

are the obvious and require high grades.

For lower requirements stay away from anything with 'met' in the name - places like Reading (ABB) are a step down but still quality if that's all your predictions will get you.
(edited 8 years ago)
UEA for definite.
Original post by Comeback
Oxbridge/ Durham
Exeter
East Anglia
Southampton

are the obvious and require high grades.

For lower requirements stay away from anything with 'met' in the name - places like Reading (ABB) are a step down but still quality if that's all your predictions will get you.

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
UEA for definite.

Agree with both. UEA if you can get the grades! (AAA)

https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/ba-english-literature-with-creative-writing
Original post by lollystar888
Hey there!

I'm currently in Year 12 and in September I'll be applying to university, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows any good universities for English Literature and Creative Writing, as it's been an interest of mine for a while and I'd love to study it further.

I've had a look so far and two that catch my attention are Lancaster and Edge Hill, which I am planning to attend the open days for, and I'm currently looking through the UCAS website for courses, but any first hand recommendations would be great!

Hello!

Great to hear that you're interested in studying English. I thoroughly enjoyed my time studying the course at Reading. I did a joint honours degree with History of Art, but you can take a Creative Writing pathway at Reading which involves you taking modules from both Literature and Creative Writing, with the opportunity to work on your own creative piece for your dissertation. I would say the choice of modules for me really drew me towards Reading, especially in third year where there are around 40 modules to choose from! I recommend looking at the modules different university courses are offering, as some may appeal to you more than others.

The staff at the English department are so supportive and friendly-I have had no troubles going to them for any help. For some more information click on this page for the course https://www.reading.ac.uk/english-literature/Undergraduate/ell-ug-english-literature-creative.aspx

Also if you have any more questions about English lit or about uni in general, free to ask!

Pip, English Literature and History of Art
:nope: official reps :nope:
I have a couple of friends that applied for the same/similar courses. Their top choices were Royal Holloway and Bath Spa :smile:
I was considering applying for it; Warwick and UEA are the best for it, definitely. You might also want to consider doing a straight English Lit degree that has the option for some CW modules, since straight Lit is more respected (KCL would be an example).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending