The Student Room Group

Is the prestige of Bristol underrated compared to other Oxbridge alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Are you sure you have the ability to engage in a debate? I can only see personal insults here. You proposed no actual arguments and explained nothing.

How does 'people only care about Oxbridge' lead to 'your life is over if you don't get into Oxbridge', exactly? One is about people's perception, one concerns the reality. I hope you at least have the ability to understand this.

I was talking about cultural relevance/dominance, so what's wrong referencing popular culture? The analogy was very reflective: News coverage of pop stars concern cultural relevance (what people care about), whilst whether or not one is broke concerns life success (what the other poster kept going on about).

Oh and, not only do I have a place, but I'm graduating. So you can stay pressed.

I don't think I have engaged in personal insults, but I apologise if I have. Nevertheless, on this thread...it's not just what you've said, it's the way that you've said it.

What I was referring to when I mentioned that you said the same thing in different words is this: "I didn't say it's the only thing that 'matters'. I said it's the only thing that they care about." These two statements ("it's the only thing that matters" and "it's the only thing they care about" mean pretty much the same thing. So I can't see the basis for your argument that they're not.

The broader point is that you appear to think people care particularly about where someone goes to university. In general, people care a lot less than you (appear to) think. In the real world, if you display the kind of smugness about (the superiority of) Oxbridge that you have on this thread, you'll be in for a hard time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Novelist
That is not the case in recent years actually. Oxbridge is the preferred destination for many still, but the London unis like Imperial and UCL have caught up in the World rankings. The gap has closed, and it could get worse for Oxbridge as and when UCL becomes the UK's leading research intensive university by measure of research power.

Lol research power.
Everyone knows Oxbridge will always doninate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
I am blown away by the beauty of Bristol's university buildings. They have such amazing architecture, and on such a scale, that even Oxbridge would be proud of. Why don't people on TSR rate Bristol better than Durham, in light of this?

ranking of universities aren't based on how nice the architecture of their buildings are...
Reply 43
Original post by Chiefe
ranking of universities aren't based on how nice the architecture of their buildings are...

Yet it plays a big part, considering many upper middle class students shun Warwick and Bath for not having nice campuses or buildings.
Reply 44
Yet it plays a big part, considering many upper middle class students shun Warwick and Bath for not having nice campuses or buildings.

maybe applicant unconsciously consider the aesthetics of university buildings when looking for places but to say that it plays a ''big part'' seems a little of a stretch to me :rolleyes: great architecture definitely helps and especially when the interior is modern with a lot of natural sunlight (proven to help with study) I'm not going to lie I did look out for universities with a friendly/welcoming vibe, the buildings, surroundings etc. but maybe that's because I applied for architecture hence my bias, my personal priority was reputation and quality of the course and uni and then I considered other factors like buildings :biggrin:
I don't attend Bristol, I am just curious why more people on TSR don't rate Bristol better than I think they should. With buildings such as they have, they really ought to be at 500+ UCAS points at least.

Not sure how the architecture means they should be incredibly highly valued academically or have a 500+ UCAS point average. Royal Holloway and Keele have beautiful buildings... it doesn't mean they're going to be deserving of the best students in the world and so on.

Bristol is superb but they're offers can be ridiculous.
Reply 46
Original post by ivybridge
Not sure how the architecture means they should be incredibly highly valued academically or have a 500+ UCAS point average. Royal Holloway and Keele have beautiful buildings... it doesn't mean they're going to be deserving of the best students in the world and so on.

Bristol is superb but they're offers can be ridiculous.

Royal Holloway I agree with, but not Keele. And neither compare to Bristol in terms of the scale and number of such buildings.
Royal Holloway I agree with, but not Keele. And neither compare to Bristol in terms of the scale and number of such buildings.

But you're missing the point - the buildings have absolutely nothing to do with the academics.
Reply 48
But you're missing the point - the buildings have absolutely nothing to do with the academics.

Maybe you are missing the point. I said all along that Bristol doesn't get as much attention as, say, Durham. Everyone already rates Bristol as one of the main alternatives to Oxbridge, but not everyone will be aware that it has buildings which are IMO better than what Durham has.
Maybe you are missing the point. I said all along that Bristol doesn't get as much attention as, say, Durham. Everyone already rates Bristol as one of the main alternatives to Oxbridge, but not everyone will be aware that it has buildings which are IMO better than what Durham has.

No, I have definitely got the point I just think it's laughable. You cannot complain about the ratings of one university academically, in comparison to another, by referencing to the architecture - it's absurd.
if youre talking about the quality of the uni, yes, dont really see it as inferior to warwick durham etc.
Reply 51
No, I have definitely got the point I just think it's laughable. You cannot complain about the ratings of one university academically, in comparison to another, by referencing to the architecture - it's absurd.

Bristol academically is far superior to Durham overall, and the World rankings and REF Research Power ratings confirm this.The point is that this, along with the superb academic buildings, still isn't enough to tempt bright students to Bristol over Durham. Everyone knows Durham has a small castle and Cathedral, but how many people know of Bristol's best buildings?
(edited 8 years ago)
Bristol academically is far superior to Durham overall, and the World rankings and REF Research Power ratings confirm this.The point is that this, along with the superb academic buildings, still isn't enough to tempt bright students to Bristol over Durham. Everyone knows Durham has a small castle and Cathedral, but how many people know of Bristol's best buildings?

Personal preference? Course? I don't know why people would go somewhere just because of the buildings. I wouldn't really care if I was going to an awful university statistically, as long as the course was right for me and I personally preferred it. It's just unlikely I would find that in a lower rank university. I think it's unfair to say Bristol is "FAR" superior to Durham - I'd say they're pretty on par with each other in most areas.
Reply 53
Personal preference? Course? I don't know why people would go somewhere just because of the buildings. I wouldn't really care if I was going to an awful university statistically, as long as the course was right for me and I personally preferred it. It's just unlikely I would find that in a lower rank university. I think it's unfair to say Bristol is "FAR" superior to Durham - I'd say they're pretty on par with each other in most areas.

Not in terms of research power and academic ranking. Bristol also has three very prestigious Medical courses on offer which Durham doesn't.
I am blown away by the beauty of Bristol's university buildings. They have such amazing architecture, and on such a scale, that even Oxbridge would be proud of. Why don't people on TSR rate Bristol better than Durham, in light of this?

So because they have good architecture, it somehow makes their reputation amazing? Bristol already has a good reputation anyways - to suggest that people should think an institution is academically amazing because of its buildings makes no sense.

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/top-20-universities-for-students-first-impressions/2015575.article

What is your obsession with prestige and forcing your opinion on everyone else?
I don't attend Bristol, I am just curious why more people on TSR don't rate Bristol better than I think they should. With buildings such as they have, they really ought to be at 500+ UCAS points at least.

Because it's not as good as people who go there like to think it is. It's no better than other Redbrick universities like Birmingham or Manchester; it just happens to have a large intake of rahs and Oxbridge-rejects, I'm guessing because it's a populous, big city university in the South, therefore closer to home for all the rich kids who don't deserve to be there.
(edited 8 years ago)
I know for a fact it's good for law, I feel some folks don't appreciate how good it is. However that does seem to be their crown jewel and I know absolutely nothing about their other courses so I can't comment on those. Moreover im not going to run around claiming it to be Oxbridge, LSE, or any others of that like's standard. I'm quite aware of how it fits in, in relation to the rest of the world.
I based my judgement on the acceptance rates for bristol to magic circle firms, where it rates below the London unis, Oxbridge and just below Nottingham.
That said, there may be some variation in the current stats, as I found no papers on the past few years. It's probably the best evidence of a law course's quality though, at least for anyone going corporate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Admit it OP. You actually made this thread so all the jumped up little twirps would come out of their dens and have a hissy fit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
glasgow is #1 in the world then cause we have... HOGWARTSSSS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Killerpenguin15
I'm thinking of applying to Bristol because their Computer science course there is perfect for me, and has good links with industry so It would be a little bit easier for me to get a job post-grad.

It's a good thing for me if more people disregard Bristol in favour of OXbridge or the top 5. Makes it easier for me to get in :tongue:

Their computer science looks amazing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending