The Student Room Group

what compulsory subjects do you take?

I'm just curious
I go to a catholic school in Wales, so along with the obvious subjects (english, maths, science etc) we have to take full course RS and foundation Welsh...and then we have to do the Welsh Baccalaureate thing too. Kind of annoying but they're all good qualifications at the end of the day I guess
I was wondering if any other schools have compulsory subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cari98
I'm just curious
I go to a catholic school in Wales, so along with the obvious subjects (english, maths, science etc) we have to take full course RS and foundation Welsh...and then we have to do the Welsh Baccalaureate thing too. Kind of annoying but they're all good qualifications at the end of the day I guess
I was wondering if any other schools have compulsory subjects?

Hey I'm done with my GCSEs now (well hopefully!)

I go to a Welsh school too, and not just that a Welsh language school..

So the compulsory subjects for my set at school were, English Language, Welsh First Language, Maths, Triple Science, Welsh bac and they started making everyone in my set take Welsh Literature and English Literature but they let a few drop it if they were struggling :smile:

Good luck with your GCSEs!
Reply 2
Science (double or triple depending on set), maths (also stats if top set), english lit, english Lang, a foreign language, a humanity, ict, re (although changing it to be one or the other for future years) and 2 chosen subjects
Reply 3
Original post by jackmolineux

So the compulsory subjects for my set at school were, English Language, Welsh First Language, Maths, Triple Science, Welsh bac and they started making everyone in my set take Welsh Literature and English Literature but they let a few drop it if they were struggling :smile:

Woah, that's a lot of compulsory subjects!

We only had to take maths, English language, English literature and IT.. we then had 4 extra subjects we could take (one of them being triple science) and an addition of single/double science which didn't take up an option
Original post by Saleha09
Woah, that's a lot of compulsory subjects!

We only had to take maths, English language, English literature and IT.. we then had 4 extra subjects we could take (one of them being triple science) and an addition of single/double science which didn't take up an option

I know right! Haha
Ahh we didn't have to do It thankfully because I hated our lessons! They were so boring and simple

We had four options too!:smile: I'm sorta glad that triple science was compulsory and not an option otherwise I don't know what I would've done!
I took as my options , History,French,Geography and Economics:smile: what about you?
Reply 5
I know right! Haha
Ahh we didn't have to do It thankfully because I hated our lessons! They were so boring and simple

We had four options too!:smile: I'm sorta glad that triple science was compulsory and not an option otherwise I don't know what I would've done!
I took as my options , History,French,Geography and Economics:smile: what about you?

Triple science, French, History and Art, plus some sports leadership qualification...

What Board were you with for History? We had to study flippin' trains for 2 years :s-smilie:
For GCSEs the compulsory subjects were:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Science (I did double - you did triple if you were top set and BTEC if you were bottom)
Religious Studies short course (it was optional to top it up to a full course which is what I did)
ICT (it was a Cambridge National I believe, equivalent to half a GCSE)
Triple science, French, History and Art, plus some sports leadership qualification...

What Board were you with for History? We had to study flippin' trains for 2 years :s-smilie:

Ooh nice!:smile: I can't even draw a circle (hnstly) so art was a no no!
I did WJEC, because I'm in Wales haha
What board did you do the ??
Two years of trains um no thanks!!! That must've been soo boring!
Btw we are hijacking this thread it seems😂
Reply 8
Ooh nice!:smile: I can't even draw a circle (hnstly) so art was a no no!
I did WJEC, because I'm in Wales haha
What board did you do the ??
Two years of trains um no thanks!!! That must've been soo boring!
Btw we are hijacking this thread it seems😂

Nah, neither can I despite my teacher's best efforts, I used a compass when her back was turned

Did you not have other boards? We only had WJEC for English which was great cause we predicted our papers

Edexcel for history, hated it :/ Still, I got an esay A* so it was cool :tongue:

Poor thread 'maker'.. probably getting a bunch of v.annoying notifications
Nah, neither can I despite my teacher's best efforts, I used a compass when her back was turned

Did you not have other boards? We only had WJEC for English which was great cause we predicted our papers

Edexcel for history, hated it :/ Still, I got an esay A* so it was cool :tongue:

Poor thread 'maker'.. probably getting a bunch of v.annoying notifications

Mine didn't even bother with me😅
Oh actually I did AQA Economics:smile:
Yeah I sort of half predicted my paper but it still wasn't great haha
Yeah get you:wink: well done!
How's econ a level?

Yeah that's true ah well 😂
Mine didn't even bother with me😅
Oh actually I did AQA Economics:smile:
Yeah I sort of half predicted my paper but it still wasn't great haha
Yeah get you:wink: well done!
How's econ a level?

Yeah that's true ah well 😂

How did you for GCSE's? What you studying now?
Thanks
Just finished my 1st year, it was actually really enjoyable. Micro was easier but Macro was a lot more interesting.. teacher was a bit of a doofus though, she made us watch YouTube teachers in class.. I could have done that whilst in bed
How did you for GCSE's? What you studying now?
Thanks
Just finished my 1st year, it was actually really enjoyable. Micro was easier but Macro was a lot more interesting.. teacher was a bit of a doofus though, she made us watch YouTube teachers in class.. I could have done that whilst in bed

I'll PM you:smile:
I'm from Scotland, so the education system is different. I also went to a Catholic secondary school, its compulsory to take Maths and English until 4th year. We also had compulsory PE 2 days per week until 4th year.However, this was only for like an hour. If you decided to pick PE as a subject, obviously you would get classes for theory and more piratical on different days or doubles on the same day.
Reply 13

Wow! And I thought I had a lot of subjects:tongue:
Were they all WJEC?
Reply 14
Original post by Morgan_
Science (double or triple depending on set), maths (also stats if top set), english lit, english Lang, a foreign language, a humanity, ict, re (although changing it to be one or the other for future years) and 2 chosen subjects

Wow that's a lot! We do english lit&lang, maths, double award & additional science, RS, Welsh and 3 elective subjects
Reply 15
Original post by rhiifuu
I'm from Scotland, so the education system is different. I also went to a Catholic secondary school, its compulsory to take Maths and English until 4th year. We also had compulsory PE 2 days per week until 4th year.However, this was only for like an hour. If you decided to pick PE as a subject, obviously you would get classes for theory and more piratical on different days or doubles on the same day.

How many elective subjects did you do? & what did you take? :smile:
Original post by Cari98
How many elective subjects did you do? & what did you take? :smile:

Well, this year I only picked three subjects and had free periods instead of doing five because it was my last year of school. So, I was able to volunteer more in 6th year and "give" back to the school :laugh:. I picked, H History, H Computing and H Physical Education.

I wished I picked up physiology :tongue:
How about yourself?
Reply 17
Original post by rhiifuu
Well, this year I only picked three subjects and had free periods instead of doing five because it was my last year of school. So, I was able to volunteer more in 6th year and "give" back to the school :laugh:. I picked, H History, H Computing and H Physical Education.

I wished I picked up physiology :tongue:
How about yourself?

Wow your school does way more interesting electives than mine:eek::eek:
I do art, French and design & technology...though I wish I'd never taken D&T:tongue:
Original post by Cari98
Wow! And I thought I had a lot of subjects:tongue:
Were they all WJEC?

Haha how ever many subjects you do, you'll always find someone who does more 😔

Yeah all those were WJEC:smile:
Original post by Cari98
Wow your school does way more interesting electives than mine:eek::eek:
I do art, French and design & technology...though I wish I'd never taken D&T:tongue:

Those sound like interesting classes!! Is D&T similar to graphics?
We have lots of options in my school.

Are you in your last year of school :h:?

Quick Reply

Latest