The Student Room Group

Top 5 composers! 🎵

Scroll to see replies

Most important:

1) Bach
2) Beethoven
3) Mozart
4) Wagner (not that I've ever listened to any of his pieces)
=5) Debussy
=5) Stravinsky

Some of my favorite (I can't condense down to 5):

Beethoven
Rachmaninoff
Ravel
Debussy
Korngold
Original post by Actaeon
Ditto on the Dvorak, his symphonies are some of my favourite pieces of music that I've ever heard.

I also love the slavonic dances. And the cello and piano concertos. I'm such a fan :h:
Reply 22
Original post by battycatlady
I wish. I have absolutely zero musical talents; I just love classical music!

Hahaha i see, your taste in classical music is very similar to that of a pianist😎
perhaps you do have hidden musical talent, you should learn to play the piano👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chopin
Debussy
Beethoven
Liszt
Rach

Basically in order, for me, as a pianist. I haven't actually played very much Rach ever, but I do really enjoy it.
Reply 24
Original post by Duskstar
Chopin
Debussy
Beethoven
Liszt
Rach

Basically in order, for me, as a pianist. I haven't actually played very much Rach ever, but I do really enjoy it.

Hahaha im a pianist too, tbh i Haven't reached the levels of Lizst/Rach yet but working towards it. Whats your favourite composition by Chopin?? I really like the 12 etudes, the sheer complexity but the way it flows perfectly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ridwan1473
Hahaha im a pianist too, tbh i Haven't reached the levels of Lizst/Rach yet but working towards it. Whats your favourite composition by Chopin?? I really like the 12 etudes, the sheer complexity but the way it flows perfectly

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Nocturnes. My favourites are probably Bb minor, C# minor, and E minor (no. 1, 20 and 19 respectively I think).

The only Lizst I've played was a short piece for Grade 5 or something, and I recently tried Liebestraum no. 3, but it would take me months of practice to get it anywhere near concert ready...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Duskstar
The Nocturnes. My favourites are probably Bb minor, C# minor, and G (no. 1, 21 and 20 respectively I think).

The only Lizst I've played was a short piece for Grade 5 or something, and I recently tried Liebestraum no. 3, but it would take me months of practice to get it anywhere near concert ready...

Chopin's etudes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wanna feel happy? Listen to Eric Satie's Gymnopedies:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Chopin's etudes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only one I've played is E minor, 'Tristesse', but they're all good ofc since it's Chopin! :P
Well, here is my violin point of view: Bach, Paganini, Vivaldi, Wieniawski, Sarasate... (not in strict order)
Here is my piano point of view: Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Schubert ...
However in general (excluding ones already mentioned): Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Dvorak...
1) Debussy
2) Rachmaninoff
3) Scriabin
4) Liszt
5) Grieg
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Wanna feel happy? Listen to Eric Satie's Gymnopedies:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh they're really good! I'm absolutely in love with Satie at the moment, all I've been playing on the piano are his works. I especially like the fantastie-valse and the 1st and 2nd gnossiennes which I'm practising at the moment. Haha and yes they really are feel good, calm but positive pieces - perfect for revising!
My favourites (not in order except no 1!):
1)Shostakovich
2)Bach
3)R.Strauss
4)Mahler
5)Rachmaninov

(I'm a cellist... not that that has anything to with it of course.....!!! ;p lol)

With regards to earlier comments about Bach Cello Suites, yes Yo-Yo Ma is probably my favourite along with Casals and Susan Sheppard's recordings on baroque cello!!
Reply 33
1. Mozart
2. Bach
3. Strauss
4. Vivaldi
5. Beethoven

I feel like a bit of a sheep with such an 'ordinary' list but those are genuinely my favourite composers :colondollar: The order is some what meaningless as each produced some amazing stuff but to keep the OP happy :wink: One thing I can never seem to enjoy is Rachmaninoff's piano peices; they're too complex for my liking :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In no paticular order

Mahler
Holst
Debussy
wagner
elgar

Horn player and just 5 of my favourites :smile: I could live happily just listening to them if i was stranded on a desert island
Rachmaninoff
Ravel
Liszt
Beethoven
Prokofiev

As a pianist.
Reply 36
Such a difficult choice!
-Bach
-Brahms
-Schubert
-Debussy
-Karl Jenkins (I love the Armed Man, and the Euphonium Concerto)
Reply 37
1- Chopin
2- Liszt
3- Rachmaninoff
4- Debussy
5- Tchaikovsky

I guess I'm a romantic pianist 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. Elgar2. Bruckner3. Beethoven4. Dvorak5. Richard Strauss

Quick Reply

Latest