The Student Room Group

My girlfriend's parents want to split us up

I have been with my girlfriend for nearly 3 months and she's met my parents and they get on really well. I never met her parents and she always shrugged it off, but I eventually found out there 'a bit racist.' I have always had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this kind of stuff because I live in an area of London which is predominately white (Im Indian.)

So I convinced my girlfriend to let me meet them because I wanted to see for myself, they turned out to be ok, they just asked alot of questions like how I got to live in this area and how much my parents earn (I didn't answer.) So it wasn't too bad, but then her dad said he would give me a lift home...

In the car he told me he wants us to split up and that hes gonna tell Lauren (my g/f) when he gets home. He said people like me shouldn't be with girls like her and that I should stick to my own kind and that it could ruin his reputation if she was to be with me. He then started making jokes about how I could afford to live in the area etc.. I wanted to kill him literally.

My g/f rung me up a few hours later crying saying what should we do, I said I got no idea.. and here I am
Reply 1
Err... Wow! :eek:

What an old fashioned attitude. "Stick to your own kind" and all that. Do you think your relationship can survive such bigotted parents? If you really think it can then I guess its worth giving it a go, but there are a lot af practical problems.

If they are that bothered about your skin colour harming their 'reputation' they may also think their daughter is harming their reputation and cut her off. Could you support each other? Could your girlfriend cut contact with her parents for your sake? If that isn't going to happen and they feel this strongly about this I fear it may be a lost cause. :frown:
Reply 2
date secretly? lol, it's easier than it sounds...the only bad bit is lying to your parents, but as long as you don't do anything you know they'd really disapprove of, even that's okay.
How old are you guys?
And as ''me :smile:'' says, dating in secret is really quite easy, some friends of mine managed it when her dad wouldn't let her have a boyfriend, for 20 months!
Oh, and do you know what her mum's approach on this is?
Reply 4
You know that you could actually go to the police with what he said to you, yes?

It's not her fault.
And you def shouldn't listen to her parents.
You'll always get parents that don't want their children seeing whoever they're seeing.
It's up to her, and whether or not she can deal with her parents not approving.

But mate, honestly, I'd think about the fact that her father is a racist pig, and whether or not you want to report it.

Totally disgraceful behaviour
Reply 5
Dating in secret is all well and good, but what about further down the line? (assuming the relationship is serious or ma become serious) They can hardly move in together in secret, or marry in secret... :s-smilie:

Theres a lot more practical considerations to be taken into account.
stepheh
You know that you could actually go to the police with what he said to you, yes?

It's not her fault.
And you def shouldn't listen to her parents.
You'll always get parents that don't want their children seeing whoever they're seeing.
It's up to her, and whether or not she can deal with her parents not approving.

But mate, honestly, I'd think about the fact that her father is a racist pig, and whether or not you want to report it.

Totally disgraceful behaviour

Mm, but wouldn't that cause more trouble than good? I know that it's the right thing to do, but it would totally shatter any hope he might have of staying with his gf.
Reply 7
True.

But if he DIDNT want to stay with her..
then it would be ok.

although she'd prob hate him for life.

hmm :smile:
Reply 8
I would think seriously about telling her parents what you think of "people like them". I cannot believe people have the audacity to share their revolting views with the people they are prejudiced against so freely! I don't think you need to be rude to them, but maybe just go back round there, say to pick up your girlfriend or something, and say something along the lines of "I thought about what you said to me, and although I was a little embarrassed by the thought of going out with someone whose parents are so bigoted, and what it might do to my reputation, I decided to be the bigger person. We're both adults and I am prepared to tolerate your views if you treat me with the respect I deserve. We need say no more about this, but if you persist in harrassing me over the colour of my skin I will think about contacting the police. I'm afraid you can't and won't stop me from seeing your daughter on the basis of my race and you would do well to listen to her more enlightened attitude." You'll need balls of steel but if you can pull it off you should embarrass him so much by his behaviour that he'll never speak to you like that again. Remember racists are essentially cowards- they are just afraid of what they don't understand. You have a real opportunity here to open the minds of some of the last minority of bigots in this country. I really hope you can find it in you to do the right thing! Best of luck and I'm so sorry anybody had the nerve to speak to you like that in the first place.
your gf's old man is a nob.

As the other posters said dating in secret is an option, although a difficult one. What does your girlfriend think about it? is she in a position to take on her dad? (obv. that depends on her age etc.) how long is it before you and her leave school?

I think you need to still down with your girlfriend and have a long chat about where you can see the relationship going. I hope everything works out for you two.
Reply 10
aw its like romeo and juliet :p: dont kill each others cousins though. (i should go bed)
youre going out with her not her parents, if they want to be like that then dont see them. it will be hard but if you want to be with her the two of you should be able to work around it
Reply 11
in the short term she has to get along with her parents, how old is she and so how long will it be before she is relatively independant?
Reply 12
to be honest, it may be harsh but is she worth this trouble? if the answer is no, then problem solved. if yes, then talk to her and find out if she is prepared to continue your relationship against her parents wishes, and find out if her parents are likely to do anything serious to stand in your way (ie threaten to cut her off). dating in secret probably isnt the best idea, not becuase of the going behind her parents back (they deserve it if they're like that!!), but becuase one day they're going to find out and then there will be more trouble than there is by just continuing the relationship.

like eveyrone else says, how old are you and her?
It really upsets me to hear that some people still think like that.

If my parents had an issue with me being with my Taiwanese bf, I honestly don't know how i'd deal with that. Probably something drastic, and certainly involving ignoring their opinions. I do think that it must be harder if you still live with them though.

Best of luck though, and maybe you can keep seeing each other covertly until you're both more independent. If you want to be together, don't let a bigoted man stop you!

In fact he may even come round to you eventually if all goes well, and sees that his daughter is happy.
Reply 14
Jennybean
I would think seriously about telling her parents what you think of "people like them". I cannot believe people have the audacity to share their revolting views with the people they are prejudiced against so freely! I don't think you need to be rude to them, but maybe just go back round there, say to pick up your girlfriend or something, and say something along the lines of "I thought about what you said to me, and although I was a little embarrassed by the thought of going out with someone whose parents are so bigoted, and what it might do to my reputation, I decided to be the bigger person. We're both adults and I am prepared to tolerate your views if you treat me with the respect I deserve. We need say no more about this, but if you persist in harrassing me over the colour of my skin I will think about contacting the police. I'm afraid you can't and won't stop me from seeing your daughter on the basis of my race and you would do well to listen to her more enlightened attitude." You'll need balls of steel but if you can pull it off you should embarrass him so much by his behaviour that he'll never speak to you like that again. Remember racists are essentially cowards- they are just afraid of what they don't understand. You have a real opportunity here to open the minds of some of the last minority of bigots in this country. I really hope you can find it in you to do the right thing! Best of luck and I'm so sorry anybody had the nerve to speak to you like that in the first place.

Yeh, that's a really REALLY stupid thing to do - sure, the parents can't technically stop them, but they can make things very VERY difficult. If they already don't like the guy, they're not gonna appreciate that speech, and that speech will simply confirm their warped views of Indians. The parents can easily stop their daughter going out, check up on her, ring her when she's out, "Oh you say you're with your friend? How's she doing? Let me talk with her for a bit." for example.

OP - your best bet is date secretly. Or simply don't break up - by the sounds of things, they're not the type to force their daughter to break up with you. Just pretend the dad didn't say what he said and carry on as normal. If that doesn't work, then yeh, date secretly.
irisng
Yeh, that's a really REALLY stupid thing to do - sure, the parents can't technically stop them, but they can make things very VERY difficult. If they already don't like the guy, they're not gonna appreciate that speech, and that speech will simply confirm their warped views of Indians. The parents can easily stop their daughter going out, check up on her, ring her when she's out, "Oh you say you're with your friend? How's she doing? Let me talk with her for a bit." for example.

OP - your best bet is date secretly. Or simply don't break up - by the sounds of things, they're not the type to force their daughter to break up with you. Just pretend the dad didn't say what he said and carry on as normal. If that doesn't work, then yeh, date secretly.

Because if one day they decide to get married and the parents learn the two of them have been going behind their back and dating for years, that won't confirm their warped view of Indians and write off their opinion on this guy permanently?! I personally would never let somebody speak to me like that on the basis of the colour of my skin, whether they were my partner's parents or not. If the OP decides he doesn't want to confront them that's his own choice but I cannot see how dating secretly will ever be a good option. Perhaps he could just carry on as if nothing was ever said but if I was the father I would then just think that the disrespectful kid hadn't understood and try again to intimidate him.
Reply 16
Jennybean
Because if one day they decide to get married and the parents learn the two of them have been going behind their back and dating for years, that won't confirm their warped view of Indians and write off their opinion on this guy permanently?! I personally would never let somebody speak to me like that on the basis of the colour of my skin, whether they were my partner's parents or not. If the OP decides he doesn't want to confront them that's his own choice but I cannot see how dating secretly will ever be a good option. Perhaps he could just carry on as if nothing was ever said but if I was the father I would then just think that the disrespectful kid hadn't understood and try again to intimidate him.

Hmmm true enough. I get where you're coming from, but confronting the parents like that isn't a good idea. If you're to confront them, confront them with respect, not disrespect. Sure it's their fault to disrespect the OP - but it'll be the OP's fault to disrespect the parents. Say something like - I love your daughter and the colour of my skin does not change that truth, and I hope you'll have the courtesy to give me the chance to prove to you that I'm not as bad as you may think, and you can tell that your daughter is happy with me.

Other than confront them with politeness, or date secretly, I can't think of much else really. I mean, I'm currently in contact with my good friend secretly cus her parents hate me - but that's mainly cus I hate them cus they make my friend's life a complete misery. That situation is messy enough - dating is even messier with the disapproval of the parents :confused:
Give us their address, get your girlfriend out the house and well have a flash mob egging session.
Reply 18
How old are you two? If you two are young then her parents can stop you seeing each other all the way until adult. How strong is her relationship with her parents and is it just her dad or her mum as well? Maybe you can work on your relationship with her mum and try to get her mum to convince her dad you're a decent person. Some of my relatives think all Indians wipe their bums with their hands and calls Indians filthy animals. It's not easy to change someone's traditional views... Just don't do anything stupid like punch her dad or call the police or your chances with this girl will be ruined for good.
Reply 19
If my g/f's dad told me that I was not to see her I think i'd laugh. My g/f is american (of german decent) and I am english.

My grandparents are openly racist my parents less so. however, I have dated girls that have heritage from all over the world. *******s to anyone who says I can't do otherwise! I think racism is something which is gradually globally dying out. You and the g/f are the enlightened ones mate. You go have fun. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending