The Student Room Group

Kind of missed my firm and now I need advice.

My firm choice is The University of Edinburgh but recently I got an answer from them that they will make a final decision on the 4th of August because I kind of didn't meet their requirements but they did not specify exactly which. Long story short, they did not quite understand the bulgarian grading system and made bizzare requirements which we later sorted out and agreed on. Also I did not meet their English language requirements - half a point short of an A on my CAE exam but with a lot of writing they finally agreed on accepting my CAE cetificate with grade B (which was pretty bizzare considering they want IELTS 6.5). And now here I am, althrough we agreed on both requirements,but still they did not accept me.

Should I wait for their final decission or should I go straight to my insuracne choice which is Strathclyde? Are there going to be negative impacts of all this postponding? Are Strathclyde even going to be willing to accpet me if Edinburgh reject me on the 4th? God, I have so many questions and the stress is killing me.
I would really appriciate if some of you guys share your simillar past experiences.
Original post by na4o_rz
My firm choice is The University of Edinburgh but recently I got an answer from them that they will make a final decision on the 4th of August because I kind of didn't meet their requirements but they did not specify exactly which. Long story short, they did not quite understand the bulgarian grading system and made bizzare requirements which we later sorted out and agreed on. Also I did not meet their English language requirements - half a point short of an A on my CAE exam but with a lot of writing they finally agreed on accepting my CAE cetificate with grade B (which was pretty bizzare considering they want IELTS 6.5). And now here I am, althrough we agreed on both requirements,but still they did not accept me.

Should I wait for their final decission or should I go straight to my insuracne choice which is Strathclyde? Are there going to be negative impacts of all this postponding? Are Strathclyde even going to be willing to accpet me if Edinburgh reject me on the 4th? God, I have so many questions and the stress is killing me.
I would really appriciate if some of you guys share your simillar past experiences.

First you need to find out from Edinburgh exactly which requirement(s) you have missed. Because you negotiated different conditions to your original offer, it is possible that these changes have been missed.
Reply 2
I sent them 3 e-mails already but I doubt they will answer them by the 4th of August. Talking through the phone will probably acomplish noting as well. Talking from or personal experience with Edinburgh.

My greatest question is if Strathclyde will wait for me until the 4th of August or should I just play it safe and reject Edinburgh and go to them directly?
Original post by na4o_rz
I sent them 3 e-mails already but I doubt they will answer them by the 4th of August. Talking through the phone will probably acomplish noting as well. Talking from or personal experience with Edinburgh.

My greatest question is if Strathclyde will wait for me until the 4th of August or should I just play it safe and reject Edinburgh and go to them directly?

Idk, there is a huge difference in reputation between the 2, I know Edinburgh for example is one of the top universities in the country, Strathclyde I had never heard of in my life till you mentioned it. If you are agreed upon an alternate offer, send them the evidence etc, I would be very surprised if they tried to go back on that.
Original post by na4o_rz

You seem to be saying that you did meet Edinburgh's requirements. Question - do you have in writing their agreement to the changes to the conditions?

However, Edinburgh say you did not meet their requirements.

This confusion needs sorting out. As they haven't replied to your emails ring them to clarify which conditions they say you failed to meet. They must tell you this. When you talk to them, make sure you get the name and job title of whoever you talk to.

If you have met Strathclyde's offer there is no harm in waiting until the Edinburgh situation is sorted out.

BTW where in Bulgaria do you live?
Reply 5
Yes, I have them in writing and even asked them to change my offer on ucas but they replied that they wouldn't change it but have it in mind when u meet my academic conditions, which I did.
Haven't accomplished anything through phone with Edinburgh up till now but I don't have a choice do I. Will try on Friday.

So there is no harm in waiting? Guess I'll wait for their final decision then.

I'm from Razgrad, small city in eastern Bulgaria. Any particular reason for asking :-D?
Original post by na4o_rz
Yes, I have them in writing and even asked them to change my offer on ucas but they replied that they wouldn't change it but have it in mind when u meet my academic conditions, which I did.
Haven't accomplished anything through phone with Edinburgh up till now but I don't have a choice do I. Will try on Friday.

So there is no harm in waiting? Guess I'll wait for their final decision then.

I'm from Razgrad, small city in eastern Bulgaria. Any particular reason for asking :-D?

It's good that you have everything in writing! What problems are you having on the phone? Perhaps you should talk directly to the person who agreed to change your conditions? Keep pushing them!

I can't see any problem with waiting. If Edinburgh reject you (for valid reasons) and you end up at Strathclyde you are no worse off. One problem could have been accommodation, but Strathclyde guarantee all first years a place in university accommodation provided they meet the requirements by August 25th - so that isn't an issue.

My wife and I have spent a fair amount of time in Bulgaria - a couple of winters and a couple of summers - though not near Razgrad.
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
It's good that you have everything in writing! What problems are you having on the phone? Perhaps you should talk directly to the person who agreed to change your conditions? Keep pushing them!

I can't see any problem with waiting. If Edinburgh reject you (for valid reasons) and you end up at Strathclyde you are no worse off. One problem could have been accommodation, but Strathclyde guarantee all first years a place in university accommodation provided they meet the requirements by August 25th - so that isn't an issue.

My wife and I have spent a fair amount of time in Bulgaria - a couple of winters and a couple of summers - though not near Razgrad.

Everytime I have phoned them be it for a explanation of the condition offer or accommodation instructions it was 'please wait while we redirect you', 'sorry but I don't have the authority to answer that question', 'it would be better if you mail us rather than phoning us' and etc. I was going crazy back then. Nevertheless, I shall try again. Thanks for everything.

Hope you had a nice time in Bulgaria.
Don't worry govner. I think everyone's missed their offers this year :biggrin:
Original post by na4o_rz
Everytime I have phoned them be it for a explanation of the condition offer or accommodation instructions it was 'please wait while we redirect you', 'sorry but I don't have the authority to answer that question', 'it would be better if you mail us rather than phoning us' and etc. I was going crazy back then. Nevertheless, I shall try again. Thanks for everything.

Hope you had a nice time in Bulgaria.

I can imagine your frustration - as I said above, try to speak to the person/people who you dealt with before.

We did indeed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending