The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Words of wisdom for a mature student starting Social Policy degree in September?

Hi everyone!

I'm a mature student, about to turn 30, married with two small daughters. I've been accepted onto the Social Policy BA at the Canterbury Campus and would love to hear from anyone who can tell me what to expect from the degree - especially in terms of time commitments and how many contact hours to expect in the first year. I'm so excited about the course but feeling a little bit apprehensive about so many things - finances, managing my time, childcare and meeting up to academic expectations!

If anyone can offer any advice or personal experiences either about the course, or about being a mature student at the university, I'd be so grateful to hear from you.

Id also love to connect with any new students doing the same course as me - or any other mature students!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi lolly85!

Just saw this thread and felt compelled to reply as we appear to be in a very similar situation! I am also 30, married (although no children) and will be studying Social Policy in September. With reference to your questions, I can answer one of them! When I went to the open day, they advised it would be 8 hours a week contact time.

I too am apprehensive but am also ready for the challenge! Look forward to meeting you soon :smile:

Laura
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Laura,

Wow it's lovely to 'meet' someone who will actually be on my course! I was beginning to wonder if it was just me! I'm feeling quite apprehensive about how I'll juggle everything but I'm so excited about the course and can't wait to choose my modules etc. I've spent the last 10 years working in the charity and social care sector, so going back to being a student it quite daunting but I'm ready to knuckle down. I live quite a distance away from the university so will hopefully be driving in (if I pass my driving test at the beginning of September - but that's a whole other thread lol!).

Do you live in Canterbury or will you be commuting in too?

Lisa x
Hi Laura and Lisa,

I don't study your course but I hope I can be of some help :smile: Generally you study 4-8 modules a year, but no more than 4 per term. Each week per module you have a hour long lecture, and an hour long seminar. Both of these can be anytime between 9am-6pm during the week, aside from wednesdays where in general there's no lessons scheduled after 12pm so that time can be used for sporting/extra-curricular activities. You're pre-assigned seminar groups but you can easily switch if you have a valid reason (e.g. children). At Kent we also have a pretty big Mature Students Society where I'm sure you'll meet people of a similar situation to the both of you - you should be able to find them via the Kent Union website and Facebook.

Free free to ask me any other questions you may have! :smile:
Reply 4
Hi Lisa,

Apologies for the delay in reply, I've been away for a couple of days. I'm also really pleased to have been able to speak to someone who will be on the course :smile: It looks like the work you've been doing for the last 10 years will stand you in good stead for the course and you'll bring a lot of valuable insight with you! I worked in the printing industry for seven years and then have been doing admin the last few years so haven't done anything related to the course itself. I have however spent the last few years thinking about doing this and have finally decided to take the plunge! I completely sympathise with you being apprehensive about becoming a student after years in work but I have been told by several people it will soon come back and feel natural again - fingers crossed!!!!

That's a shame you live quite a distance away - I'm about 20 minute drive away by car but can't afford to keep my car so will be coming in by bus. I think it'll take about 45 mins by bus so not too bad. Good luck on your driving test, you've got it all going in September!!

Laura x
Reply 5
Hi A Person Called Clara,

Thank you for your message. Although I knew it was 8 hours a week contact time, I had no idea how that was divided so that's really useful to know.

Also thank you for your information about the Mature Students Society, I will look into that now! It's so strange being a mature student though - I'm sure I was only 18 yesterday haha!!

Laura x
Original post by lolly85
Hi everyone!

I'm a mature student, about to turn 30, married with two small daughters. I've been accepted onto the Social Policy BA at the Canterbury Campus.

If anyone can offer any advice or personal experiences either about the course, or about being a mature student at the university, I'd be so grateful to hear from you.

Id also love to connect with any new students doing the same course as me - or any other mature students!

Spotted this thread and although I'm not doing your course and my domestic situation is different (not married and no children), I thought it was worth saying hello.

I'm a (fairly!) mature student starting at UKC this September (doing Film & Lit). It's nice to hear from some other mature students going to UKC. I spied a few folks on the Applicants Day I went to in March who I think were there in their own right rather than as parents of an applicant, but I've no idea if they've confirmed a place or not.

It's also a great comfort to hear that the Mature Students Society is alive and kicking. I'm moving from outside the county to a private place close to the campus (not going into halls at my age!), which means that commuting will be easy (imagine I'll be walking) but I can still get away to somewhere quiet.

I did an Access to HE Diploma, which was excellent preparation for uni. Don't worry too much, though, if you've not got something like that under your belt. Using my early experience on the Access course last autumn (when I returned to academic study after years out working) as a comparison, you'll probably find it a bit weird at first, but you'll get into it fairly soon, as long as you're diligent. The key things I found are to work out how you best get your head around what you're studying (e.g. you might try re-writing your notes or simply re-reading them several times), and getting used to referencing in essays. Most people on my Access course got the hang of it reasonably quickly, so I'm sure you will too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Spotted this thread and although I'm not doing your course and my domestic situation is different (not married and no children), I thought it was worth saying hello.

I'm a (fairly!) mature student starting at UKC this September (doing Film & Lit). It's nice to hear from some other mature students going to UKC. I spied a few folks on the Applicants Day I went to in March who I think were there in their own right rather than as parents of an applicant, but I've no idea if they've confirmed a place or not.

It's also a great comfort to hear that the Mature Students Society is alive and kicking. I'm moving from outside the county to a private place close to the campus (not going into halls at my age!), which means that commuting will be easy (imagine I'll be walking) but I can still get away to somewhere quiet.

I did an Access to HE Diploma, which was excellent preparation for uni. Don't worry too much, though, if you've not got something like that under your belt. Using my early experience on the Access course last autumn (when I returned to academic study after years out working) as a comparison, you'll probably find it a bit weird at first, but you'll get into it fairly soon, as long as you're diligent. The key things I found are to work out how you best get your head around what you're studying (e.g. you might try re-writing your notes or simply re-reading them several times), and getting used to referencing in essays. Most people on my Access course got the hang of it reasonably quickly, so I'm sure you will too.

Hi there, I spotted your post and thought it'd be silly of me not to respond, since I too am a 'mature' student studying Film in September.

I'll be living in halls as I feel like I'm not TOO old (23), but it's lovely to know I won't be the only mature student on my course. :smile:
Original post by Jegzi
Hi there, I spotted your post and thought it'd be silly of me not to respond, since I too am a 'mature' student studying Film in September.

I'll be living in halls as I feel like I'm not TOO old (23), but it's lovely to know I won't be the only mature student on my course. :smile:

Hi! I'm also glad to know there's another mature student doing the same course I am :smile: I don't know if I'm more mature than you in the broader sense of the word, but I am in the sense that one cheese can be more mature than another :u:

I hope you enjoy it in halls. It might've been that had I chosen halls, I would've loved it - I'll never know. I thought it was a safer policy for me to look for accommodation where I could have some control over the environment (and I wanted to have the option of some peace and quiet). Did you ask for 'quiet/mature' accommodation and if so, has it been confirmed yet?
Reply 9
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Hi! I'm also glad to know there's another mature student doing the same course I am :smile: I don't know if I'm more mature than you in the broader sense of the word, but I am in the sense that one cheese can be more mature than another :u:

I hope you enjoy it in halls. It might've been that had I chosen halls, I would've loved it - I'll never know. I thought it was a safer policy for me to look for accommodation where I could have some control over the environment (and I wanted to have the option of some peace and quiet). Did you ask for 'quiet/mature' accommodation and if so, has it been confirmed yet?

Lovely to meet you! If you didn't already know, there's a film chat on Facebook and everyone seems lovely! You're welcome to join us. :yep:

I absolutely agree with you; I plan to live alone in my second year. I wanted the social experience of halls mostly. I didn't apply for postgraduate or mature halls, but I'm really happy with where I've ended up (Tyler A, ground floor where I'm told it's nice and quiet).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending