The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Undergrad (now York Postgrad) Answering Questions

Hi all,

I'll be bouncing around the forum answering questions on other threads but thought I would start a thread of my own for any questions.

A bit about me for reference maybe (although feel free to skip this bit):
- studied BA (Hons) in History from 2012-2015
- going back in September to do an MA in Medieval Studies
- member of Halifax College
- Member of Riding Club, Yoga Society, History Society
- Have tried student newspapers, student cinema, fencing, netball - more stuff than I can name
- Worked on open days so I'm used to fielding questions
- Have worked at home during holidays, done part-time work in York during term, and have done volunteering work in York

If people send me a question, I'll try and answer them as well as I possibly can. If I don't know the answer, then I'll try and find it out for you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey,

I'm starting in September, too, for an MA in Film and Literature. I applied late and have just been accepted. I've been offered a place in Wentworth halls, but I only have a week to accept the offer. I am currently looking for cheaper alternatives. Do you know of any other avenues I could explore to find other postgraduates for a house share? I would like to get my accommodation sorted ASAP, and don't really want to wait for the 'find a housemate' event in September.

Thank you.
University of York
York
Original post by Genious
Hey,

I'm starting in September, too, for an MA in Film and Literature. I applied late and have just been accepted. I've been offered a place in Wentworth halls, but I only have a week to accept the offer. I am currently looking for cheaper alternatives. Do you know of any other avenues I could explore to find other postgraduates for a house share? I would like to get my accommodation sorted ASAP, and don't really want to wait for the 'find a housemate' event in September.

Thank you.

Hi there,

If you want to live on campus but Wentworth is a bit pricey, you could contact the accommodation team and ask them to offer you another room? Halifax has some rooms for around £122 a week. Our rent includes all your bills, internet, contents insurance and regular cleaning of kitchens and bathrooms.

You can speak to the team on (0)1904322165 or [email protected]

Hope that's a help!

Thanks,
Alice
Reply 3
Original post by Genious
Hey,

Thank you.

Hey!

As was mentioned earlier there are cheaper on-campus accommodation options, and a lot of advantages to living on-campus too. I'm looking forward to it after two years living off-campus!

However, for exploring further alternatives, I'd recommend joining the following two facebook groups if you haven't already:
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/UoYPG2015/?fref=ts
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/834694829944561/

The first one is full of incoming postgrads, so a good place to get to know people on your course. The second is the GSA Find a Housemate 15/16, which has members of the GSA committee as admins.

Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Jen94
Hi all,

I'll be bouncing around the forum answering questions on other threads but thought I would start a thread of my own for any questions.

- Have tried student newspapers, student cinema, fencing, netball - more stuff than I can name
- Have worked at home during holidays, done part-time work in York during term, and have done volunteering work in York

If people send me a question, I'll try and answer them as well as I possibly can. If I don't know the answer, then I'll try and find it out for you!

Hello there,
I got an offer for accomidaton at Halifax college and I was just wondering what your experience was living within this college. My offer was for Ingram court

Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by AubreyJ
Hello there,
I got an offer for accomidaton at Halifax college and I was just wondering what your experience was living within this college. My offer was for Ingram court

Thank you

Halifax college was amazing. I've just graduated from York and would turn back time just to spend my freshers year at Halifax again. Ingram court is nice, very compact and not as big as St Lawrence (I lived there)
Reply 6
Original post by GmanW
Halifax college was amazing. I've just graduated from York and would turn back time just to spend my freshers year at Halifax again. Ingram court is nice, very compact and not as big as St Lawrence (I lived there)

Thanks for the feedback... I was wondering how far it was from the campus I will be studying Applied social science next year. I was also wondering if room 12 would be on the top floor? Im worried the i won't like ingram court as it might be too small for my likings.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi,

I start in October History (BA) and Ive just rejected my accommodation as it was not what I applied for? What are the chances of me actually having somewhere to live now on campus? Apparently I have lost my guarantee...
Original post by TSR432
Hi,

I start in October History (BA) and Ive just rejected my accommodation as it was not what I applied for? What are the chances of me actually having somewhere to live now on campus? Apparently I have lost my guarantee...

Hi there,

Have you been in touch with the Accommodation team so they can explain what happens next? They will need to reactive your application - you can call them on 01904 322165. The room selection will be much more limited, but they'll still try their best to offer you somewhere on campus.

Thanks,
Alice
Original post by Jen94
Hi all,

What is the social side of York uni like? Are there many places to go and have fun and hang out and whats the nightlife like?
Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Have you been in touch with the Accommodation team so they can explain what happens next? They will need to reactive your application - you can call them on 01904 322165. The room selection will be much more limited, but they'll still try their best to offer you somewhere on campus.

Thanks,
Alice

Yes, Ive contacted them and my place is sorted out now :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by jake-1996
What is the social side of York uni like? Are there many places to go and have fun and hang out and whats the nightlife like?
Thanks

Plenty of societies to join, keep your eyes peeled during freshers fair. On campus bars (D-bar ,V-bar, Courtyard, The Lounge) are great places to hang out and chill. Student club nights are every Tuesday (Kuda), Wednesday (Salvo), Thursday (Fibbers), Friday (Phats), Sunday (Revs) - Basically everyday of the week
Original post by TSR432
Hi,

Hey, I am thinking of rejecting my accommodation also because I am really not happy with it.
Did you end up getting a better room in the end? Would you mind telling me what your original accommodation was and where you ended up?
Original post by GmanW
Plenty of societies to join, keep your eyes peeled during freshers fair. On campus bars (D-bar ,V-bar, Courtyard, The Lounge) are great places to hang out and chill. Student club nights are every Tuesday (Kuda), Wednesday (Salvo), Thursday (Fibbers), Friday (Phats), Sunday (Revs) - Basically everyday of the week

Thanks for the info. One more question, are all of the different colleges sociable and do they all have a lot of events to go to because I have heard that some of the colleges are not very sociable?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending