The Student Room Group

preparing for driving

so im currently 16 and i was wondering if it would help me in future if i started to read theory books now since i have nothing to do during the holidays, could someone recommend some books?:smile:
Not really, the theory side takes a couple of days to learn, it's the practical aspect of driving that people find difficult.
Practise off-road if you can so you'll have all the basics covered when it come to starting lessons
Theory Test/Hazard Test is simply common sense.
Reply 3
The Highway Code is pretty important.
Reply 4
Original post by SonicOfPron
Theory Test/Hazard Test is simply common sense.

Thats all well and good.

Apart from common sense isn't as common as the name implies.

And a lot isn't actually 'common sense' would you for instance know the breaking distance of a car, having never driven one? I doubt it. Would you know the different road types and speed limits etc, having never used them, would you know what all the different road signs mean? The different sorts of crossings? Would you know the etiquette on a roundabout other than the obvious give way to the right.

A lot of people take no notice of these things when out in cars etc, and it all has to be known for the theiet test, you only think its 'common sense' because you've been exposed to it all through the theory tests itself and driving lessons.

Its the same with driving, non drivers look on and think its easy, because the experienced driver makes it all look easy, its only when the non driver comes to take lessons that they realise what's going on in the mind of the driver, what they are needing to do and process etc
Reply 5
Definitely read the Highway Code. Yes some of it is common sense, but some of it needs to be learnt. As for the theory, you might not get most of it if you haven't actually done the practical aspect of driving, so might not make much sense you you! But it wouldn't do you any harm to read a couple of books :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I would learn about: road signs, road paint, what to do at juctions, the major controls of the car and speed limits from books.

Then if you can get any off road practice in a car just practice moving off and stopping at low speed. That should leave you well placed for when you start driving for real.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending