The Student Room Group

What's more important - subject studied or reputation of institution?

I have been reading a lot about the difference between RG unis and so called 'ex polys' and I am now confused about my choices. I was going to study English at Huddersfield, however after reading so many comments about the worthlessness of 'ex poly' degrees, I am not too sure. Many people seem to think that the university of study is more important than the subject.

But what if it was a choice between studying a respected subject, English for example, at an ex poly, or a less respected subject, say film studies, at a RG?

Would it really be better to study a respected subject at a non-RG uni, than a less respected subject at a RG? What is more important, the university or the subject?

Also, I have read articles in newspapers like the Guardian which say that research shows most employers value work experience over subject studied and institutions. From what I can see, non-RG unis tend to offer work placements whereas RG unis focus on the academic side. Is this really beneficial in a world where the job market is competitive and work experience is so important to employers?
Reply 1
It's important but also complicated. Many argue that a degree in sociology and politics from Cambridge is 'the best', but few would doubt that Medicine is less prestigious.

Also some subjects are easier than others, Law is obviously more difficult than Sociology etc. But general rep does count for a lot more on a superficial level.
neither

I believe in individuals.

not generalising entire groups of people based on race, ethnicity, city, country or their university's reputation
Original post by Ellismall
I have been reading a lot about the difference between RG unis and so called 'ex polys' and I am now confused about my choices. I was going to study English at Huddersfield, however after reading so many comments about the worthlessness of 'ex poly' degrees, I am not too sure. Many people seem to think that the university of study is more important than the subject.

But what if it was a choice between studying a respected subject, English for example, at an ex poly, or a less respected subject, say film studies, at a RG?

Would it really be better to study a respected subject at a non-RG uni, than a less respected subject at a RG? What is more important, the university or the subject?

Also, I have read articles in newspapers like the Guardian which say that research shows most employers value work experience over subject studied and institutions. From what I can see, non-RG unis tend to offer work placements whereas RG unis focus on the academic side. Is this really beneficial in a world where the job market is competitive and work experience is so important to employers?

I think the honest answer is that both are important, beyond that it is quite difficult to answer because certain fields are so competitive (such as psychology) that people without 'top in the year' caveats to their name are going to seriously struggle. On the other hand, people doing 'journalism studies' simply don't become journalists.

Some ex-polys may offer highly practical schemes that are geared towards specific jobs in the industry, these are probably worth doing however be careful to make sure that this is what you are getting: check graduate statistics*

*Make sure to look beyond "90% of people on this course in full time job e.c.t.", look at the proportion of those that have jobs are working in graduate level positions. That attractive 90% could become 30% e.c.t.
Original post by democracyforum
neither

I believe in individuals.

not generalising entire groups of people based on race, ethnicity, city, country or their university's reputation

In the real world, employers do care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending