The Student Room Group

What welfare reforms would you like to see?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
Why should your family support you?

Assuming they can even afford to in the first place.
Reply 81
I just don't understand why it's so hard to crack down on the people who are ACTUALLY abusing the system. People who have been signed off on the sick should be ok. If a doctor feels somebody is unfit to work, then it's for nobody else to question. Those on JSA should be made to attend the JC a set amount of times, with a 3 strike warning. There are always going to be times were some people may have a genuine reason for not being able to attend the JC and to stop their benefits for missing just one appointment, is in my opinion harsh. Now, the Job Centre. I'm not sure why the JC can't employ some of these people themselves, because in my local Job centre, there seems to be only 2 people working in there the last couple of years, a security guard and ONE person behind a desk, who just gives you a slip of paper and sends you away to do everything online at home. If there were more people employed in the JC, then there will be somebody who can go through the jobs with each JSA claimant and so nobody can be accused of not looking for work.

Child benefits should DEFINITELY be capped at two kids (unless in the rare case somebody ends up pregnant with triplets/quads). I find it ironic that people moan about how hard it is to find work, how hard it is to get housed, how everybody is struggling and how f*cked our current society is, yet they continue to bring so many more kids into such a world. NOBODY in this country needs to have kids at the moment, not until we sort the current state of our country out. Why would you want to bring more people into a world when they are most likely going to suffer because right now, the future looks like a terrible place?

Also, I think we as society need to do our best to help those with mental issues, live normal lives. I have suffered with anxiety (and other MHP which I don't really want to share) and at one point, it was so bad that I generally couldn't work but although I am still prone to a panic attack here and there, for the most part I'm ok and sitting around doing nothing and knowing I'm being seen as scrounging scum by the rest of world, has always made me feel really depressed as well as anxious, (especially when if you're caught smiling even once, this means your mentally fit for work and a liar) so is actually making my mental health state worse. I'm not on JSA at the moment, my boyfriend is supporting me but I am looking for work and I keep worrying in my head about what would happen if out of the blue I had a panic attack at work. Will I lose my job and if so, is this right? I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder and so it's hard to treat/cure because it's unclear what exactly triggers me off. I actually want to make something of myself in life, yet I am so worried at the same time. I don't know whether I should be honest with employers about my mental health issues or not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Crk20
I just don't understand why it's so hard to crack down on the people who are ACTUALLY abusing the system.

because in my local Job centre, there seems to be only 2 people working in there the last couple of years

In many people's eyes you'd fit into that category....

Not so easy now is it?
Reply 83
Original post by Quady
In many people's eyes you'd fit into that category....

Not so easy now is it?

How can I be abusing the system if I'm not claiming anything? 😕 You're saying many people aren't even happy to believe that you're not fit for work, even when you've been sectioned under the mental health act? Also, I've only been in the job centre with somebody else, I haven't been claiming JSA for the last two years... Don't know what you're on about.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending