The Student Room Group

Is it actually wrong now for people not to be on Facebook?

I know a couple of people who refuse to use Facebook. At first I thought this was fine, as I liked their rebellious side.

But as the years have gone on, I've found this harder and harder to deal with as it has become such a part of every day life.

I know it means I should make more effort to stay in touch but I'm just starting to wonder if they need to move with the times as everyone is communicating differently these days. To not move with the times and mass society actually turns you into a digital hermit?

Scroll to see replies

Yeh definitely. If I search for someone and they don't have Facebook I immediately assume that they're really fat.
I use Facebook for events and messaging, don't use it anymore than that and I don't get why some people hate using it.
Reply 3
Had a friend who made a big song and dance about not being on Facebook.. Now he just doesnt get invited to anything.
Reply 4
These people that don't have Facebook are often the type who live a bit harder then the rest of us. Social Media has increased the need for external validation, and created it's own virtual reality.

I have Facebook and I wish I didn't. I wish everyone didn't, let's go back to pre-2005.
I don't have Facebook and I'm laughing at some of the comments on this thread. I don't have a smartphone either, so I'm guess I'm a little unusual. It's quite empowering not to bend to peer pressure and to be forced into getting something you don't want though.

I tend to avoid using sites like Facebook as I know they are horrendous timesinks and I get distracted enough as it is. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't have Facebook and it hasn't affected me socially. I reckon it's because I'm younger and use other social media platforms so I can stay in touch with people, although whether I want to or not is another question :wink:
I don't really get the issue. If you have someone's phone number then why is it absolutely necessary for you to be able to find them on facebook too? I don't use it because I prefer not to but if friends want to invite me out to something then all they have to do is text me (which they don't seem to mind doing).
lol I only created a fb in November and rarely use it. I still don't understand how it's even possible for one to get addicted to it :lol:
I don't have Facebook, or Twitter, Instagram etc and I'm loving life without it :-).
Original post by Reue
Had a friend who made a big song and dance about not being on Facebook.. Now he just doesnt get invited to anything.

Hahaha exactly! And I forget everyone's birthdays. At first I felt bad, now I'm just annoyed.
Original post by Captain Jack
I know a couple of people who refuse to use Facebook. At first I thought this was fine, as I liked their rebellious side.

But as the years have gone on, I've found this harder and harder to deal with as it has become such a part of every day life.

I know it means I should make more effort to stay in touch but I'm just starting to wonder if they need to move with the times as everyone is communicating differently these days. To not move with the times and mass society actually turns you into a digital hermit?

I don't really think you should necessarily have to make more effort; they are the ones being awkward by not using Facebook.
Original post by mogwai98
I don't really get the issue. If you have someone's phone number then why is it absolutely necessary for you to be able to find them on facebook too? I don't use it because I prefer not to but if friends want to invite me out to something then all they have to do is text me (which they don't seem to mind doing).

I think it puts too much emphasis on the Facebooker to make more effort with the non-Facebooker. E.g. if I want to arrange a house party, I invite all my friends through Facebook as it's easy. But then one person requires a special invite via text.

Stone them! Burn them! Tar and feather them! Make rude remarks about them in the public square! These digital hermits have forefeited their right to live!
I tend to be a late adopter (late on the FB and Whatsapp game)

I don't like how fast tech is going nowadays.
I only go on facebook to see who's up the duff.
I think it puts too much emphasis on the Facebooker to make more effort with the non-Facebooker. E.g. if I want to arrange a house party, I invite all my friends through Facebook as it's easy. But then one person requires a special invite via text.

How long does it take to send a text? Surely if it's a problem then you don't consider the person to be too much of a friend (as taking 2 minutes out to text them should be worth it). Idk, I just think people will have their reasons for avoiding social media and those that do use it should respect that.

Hi there CJ :smile:

In my opinion? There's nothing wrong at all with not having a Facebook account. I don't have Facebook - neither do my parents - and we still communicate with the people who we need to. After all, why do you need Facebook when you can use conventional ways like calls, texts and emails?
Original post by bassbabe
I only go on facebook to see who's up the duff.

Lovely.
Original post by mogwai98
How long does it take to send a text? Surely if it's a problem then you don't consider the person to be too much of a friend (as taking 2 minutes out to text them should be worth it). Idk, I just think people will have their reasons for avoiding social media and those that do use it should respect that.

Using that logic, could you not also say that if you wanted to stay in close contact with your friends, then the small effort of setting up a Facebook account should be worth it?

I dunno, I find it a bit arrogant if people without a facebook account except people to go out of their way to contact them separately all the time. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending