The Student Room Group

Is it actually wrong now for people not to be on Facebook?

Scroll to see replies

Nah I don't have Facebook either, waste of time, most people have WhatsApp now anyway :dontknow:
I don't that there's anything wrong with not having facebook, but if you've never had or heard from it then that's a different story.
It's not wrong in any sense...but they just tend to be out sync
meh idek if that makes sense
I have Facebook but I don't really use it much anymore, infact I haven't been on it for about a month.

It's obviously not wrong not to have Facebook and I don't think it really matters. When it comes to inviting people to things, if they're that important to me then I will send them a text/call if I really want them to be there. There's lot's of other ways to keep in contact with people that don't involve Facebook.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Using that logic, could you not also say that if you wanted to stay in close contact with your friends, then the small effort of setting up a Facebook account should be worth it?

I dunno, I find it a bit arrogant if people without a facebook account except people to go out of their way to contact them separately all the time. :tongue:

Perhaps, but I'd like to think that if it were the other way around I'd just remember to tell them about the meet up or whatever in another way. Social media is there to be used by those who get enjoyment or something else out of it, and if someone doesn't want to then that's that. It's not so much the effort required in getting a facebook account but more that some people don't want the distraction or don't want to share information about themselves in that way.

I admit it'd be arrogant of me to assume they should always contact me if there's something being arranged. Luckily I have their numbers too so I text them if I'm up for doing something. That sort of thing has to work both ways to maintain any friendship :smile:
I don't have facebook. I've made an account twice, and both times got rid of it within two/three days.

Most of my friends I can contact easily by text or twitter, and I've made a lot of friends on twitter as well, so there's no real need for facebook.
I dont have or want facebook- but now you're worrying me. Hope this doesn't effect my potential friendships at uni :frown:
It's one of those things that I really fail to see the point in someone not having. It's like a phone or an email account. It's free. You can put as little as you want onto it.

You don't have to tell people about your life. You don't have to update your status every five minutes. You don't have to upload a photo. You don't even have to allow yourself to be 'tagged' in other peoples' photos, status updates, etc. You can use it like you'd use a phone or an email address.

I find it quite strange for someone to not have it, and it adds an extra inconvenience to organising group events. Like the one friend who refused to get a mobile phone for the first couple of years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by russellsteapot
It's one of those things that I really fail to see the point in someone not having. It's like a phone or an email account. It's free. You can put as little as you want onto it.

You don't have to tell people about your life. You don't have to update your status every five minutes. You don't have to upload a photo. You don't even have to allow yourself to be 'tagged' in other peoples' photos, status updates, etc. You can use it like you'd use a phone or an email address.

I find it quite strange for someone to not have it, and it adds an extra inconvenience to organising group events. Like the one friend who refused to get a mobile phone for the first couple of years.

Yeah, guess that's how I feel about it. When 99% of people are on there, making contact modern and easy, it just makes the 1% who aren't demand more effort to get in touch with.

All minor I know, it just irritates me a bit. I know it probably shouldn't.
Original post by Captain Jack
Yeah, guess that's how I feel about it. When 99% of people are on there, making contact modern and easy, it just makes the 1% who aren't demand more effort to get in touch with.

All minor I know, it just irritates me a bit. I know it probably shouldn't.

But on that note, if somebody is really worth staying in touch with then you'll make more effort anyway. I've lost contact with people when we've parted ways and they hear I don't have a Facebook account, but my real friends who live far away email me almost every day, and it feels a lot more personal than being just one "friend" in a sea of hundreds of others.

Facebook may make things easier, but I think it makes things less personal at the same time. I'd far rather receive a single birthday card from a close friend than twenty birthday messages on Facebook which took a minimal amount of thought and effort. But that's just my personal opinion on the matter. :smile:
It isn't wrong at all. It's not even strange either. It's too much of a time sink and to be honest you could do better things with your time than be on there, even if its only for 2 minutes.
I don't have Facebook I deleted it in year 9/10 (I've just finished year 13), I didn't care about the stuff or people's lives that posted on it, it was full of chavs posting that they're pregnant or have just got a council house. I have Twitter though, I agree that I'm not invited to most stuff etc. but if me or the other person doesn't make effort to contact each other because I don't have Facebook then I don't need them in my life. I contact my actual friends via text or snapchat. However now I'm going to uni in September I want Facebook purely to see who's in my accommodation before I actually go- now I've got the awkward stage of adding people and only having about 70 friends as I haven't added the random people you meet over the years that I've now or they've forgot about- and I'm definitely not looking forward to that process!!
If it's too much "extra effort" for you to send a couple of texts/whatsapp messages to those who don't have Facebook, you're not that much of a friend to begin with.
I have just got a Facebook account because it makes it easier to join some websites if you have one, but I have made sure that I have no friends, no public page and no way of contacting me as i have been avoiding Facebook for years.
Original post by russellsteapot

This sums up my views perfectly. People use the whole "I have a phone" argument but it's just a BS excuse in my eyes - what happens if you don't have someone's number but need to contact them? What if you have no credit/haven't paid your bill? What if your phone gets stolen/lost? I honestly feel its either people just being backwards in terms of technology or having some sort of hipster complex - maybe both.

For me personally, it helps me keep in contact with friends in different countries especially. I live in Dublin, but I went an international school in Paris so I have friends in numerous different places. For example, one of my current best friend lives in Mexico atm but we still keep in touch through Facebook and Skype. As well as this, many of the people in my school that have graduated or will graduate are going to different countries for university. Because of them being in mostly different countries, texting/ringing isn't an option as it's far too expensive and people rarely will opt for using emails when there's Facebook.
Original post by AnnieGakusei

Facebook may make things easier, but I think it makes things less personal at the same time. I'd far rather receive a single birthday card from a close friend than twenty birthday messages on Facebook which took a minimal amount of thought and effort. But that's just my personal opinion on the matter. :smile:

Why does joining Facebook mean that these are mutually exclusive possibilities? You could quite easily get both..
soz you won't find bear™ on this so-called social meeja :mob:
Reply 37
Original post by Adipoptosis
Yeh definitely. If I search for someone and they don't have Facebook I immediately assume that they're really fat.

I don't have Facebook and I'm not fat. Deal with it bro.
I am still social even though i dont use facebook
Whatapp is where all the juicy gossip with my friends happens:biggrin:
Original post by localblackguy
Why does joining Facebook mean that these are mutually exclusive possibilities? You could quite easily get both..

Because I don't like how Facebook seems to be "the lazy option" for people who don't need to bother to remember their friends' birthdays because they'll get a reminder anyway.

On another note, I'd prefer not to have a Facebook account because it's one of the things potential employers and universities will look up and I'd far rather not have that kind of information floating around the public sphere. I get worried enough as it is when pictures of me end up on other people's Facebook accounts. :s-smilie: I mean, does it occur to them that it might be nice to actually be asked for my consent first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending