The Student Room Group

Should i do A levels or just do a Btec?

So its time for me to finalise my options as what I will be doing in September be it A levels or a Btec.

The subjects I am interested in/want to do are:

Sociology, Philosophy and ethics and health and social care level 3(this is only offered as a Btec)-I like debating hence the first two options.

But since A levels are hard and those currently doing it in my sixthform complain especially about Philosophy and ethics which I want to do.

I would like to go to university but don't want to do A levels and fail them when I could still do a Btec(health and social care) and still get into a uni and study nursing or criminology.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 08Mercyf
So its time for me to finalise my options as what I will be doing in September be it A levels or a Btec.

The subjects I am interested in/want to do are:

Sociology, Philosophy and ethics and health and social care level 3(this is only offered as a Btec)-I like debating hence the first two options.

But since A levels are hard and those currently doing it in my sixthform complain especially about Philosophy and ethics which I want to do.

I would like to go to university but don't want to do A levels and fail them when I could still do a Btec(health and social care) and still get into a uni and study nursing or criminology.

Any advice will be appreciated.

If you want to do criminology go for a levels. If you want to go for nursing do Btec health and social care, however your a level choices are also good choices to go for for nursing :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you want to do criminology go for a levels. If you want to go for nursing do Btec health and social care, however your a level choices are also good choices to go for for nursing :smile:

Thanks for your reply:smile: but the thing is that I want to keep my options open because I am kind of indecisive about what I would like to do as a career, I know I should know by now as this whole thing will decide my future but its hard for me. :frown:

I also feel like if I do a Btec in health and social care, it would limit what I could do for instance, I know I could do most health care professions but say I want to switch to criminology, how will that Btec relate? :s-smilie::redface:

It is either sixthform(A level Sociology, RS and Btec Health social) or College(just Btec health and social?

I know A levels are hard and I am not the best academic person so would rather the easier way out to get to uni be it Btec or whatever but still unsure about nursing or criminology.

Will doing a Btec level 3 instead of a A levels be a disadvantage or do people and unis class them as the same?
Edit: Any advice with regards to the above will be helpful:smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for your reply:smile: but the thing is that I want to keep my options open because I am kind of indecisive about what I would like to do as a career, I know I should know by now as this whole thing will decide my future but its hard for me. :frown:

I also feel like if I do a Btec in health and social care, it would limit what I could do for instance, I know I could do most health care professions but say I want to switch to criminology, how will that Btec relate? :s-smilie::redface:

It is either sixthform(A level Sociology, RS and Btec Health social) or College(just Btec health and social?

I know A levels are hard and I am not the best academic person so would rather the easier way out to get to uni be it Btec or whatever but still unsure about nursing or criminology.

Will doing a Btec level 3 instead of a A levels be a disadvantage or do people and unis class them as the same?
Edit: Any advice with regards to the above will be helpful:smile:.

I'd suggest doing the A levels if you're not sure what to do, since the BTEC will limit your choices more. I started off doing a BTEC, then ended up switching to Sociology, English and Philosophy and Ethics A levels, which was probably the best choice I ever made (I do AQA Sociology and it's a nice subject; P&E is tougher especially at A2 but still fun) Obviously everyone's different, and I've got a friend doing BTEC Health and Social Care at college who really enjoys it. It also depends on your level of motivation; I personally found sixth form a better study environment than college as everyone worked harder and actually liked their subjects.

BTECs can get you into many universities, but the higher ranking unis such as those in the Russell Group don't accept them. That might not necessarily be a problem though - it obviously depends on where you're thinking of going. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I'd suggest doing the A levels if you're not sure what to do, since the BTEC will limit your choices more. I started off doing a BTEC, then ended up switching to Sociology, English and Philosophy and Ethics A levels, which was probably the best choice I ever made (I do AQA Sociology and it's a nice subject; P&E is tougher especially at A2 but still fun) Obviously everyone's different, and I've got a friend doing BTEC Health and Social Care at college who really enjoys it. It also depends on your level of motivation; I personally found sixth form a better study environment than college as everyone worked harder and actually liked their subjects.

BTECs can get you into many universities, but the higher ranking unis such as those in the Russell Group don't accept them. That might not necessarily be a problem though - it obviously depends on where you're thinking of going. :smile:

Thanks for the advice:smile:

So would you say that Btecs are only good if you are set to do only one thing as a career?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the advice:smile:

So would you say that Btecs are only good if you are set to do only one thing as a career?

When it's comes to nursing they like Btec s for sure. Most RG unis don't do nursing and prestige is meaningless in nursing anyway once your registered no one cares where you graduated.
If you re not 100% then stick to doing a levels and the Btec and you can drop if if you decide to do criminology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
When it's comes to nursing they like Btec s for sure. Most RG unis don't do nursing and prestige is meaningless in nursing anyway once your registered no one cares where you graduated.
If you re not 100% then stick to doing a levels and the Btec and you can drop if if you decide to do criminology.

I guess that would be the best option, thanks for the reply.:smile:
I guess that would be the best option, thanks for the reply.:smile:

no problem:smile: if you do decide to go for nursing you re always welcome to send me a message with any questions and i ll try to help (i start mh nursing in september:smile: )
Reply 8
no problem:smile: if you do decide to go for nursing you re always welcome to send me a message with any questions and i ll try to help (i start mh nursing in september:smile: )

:smile:
I have a friend who did btec in childcare followed by a one year access course and now she's doing nursing at uni. She's also got some years of being an nhs health care assistant behind her.

A lot of unis, in my experience, will judge a candidate by their individual merits. Not necessarily the unis with more rigid entry requirements but having been to one russel group and two ex polys I found them all similar in many ways anyway.
Here's an idea: if you are good at time management and could find a compatible timetable, perhaps you could do your btec at college and see of the college runs any A levels in the evening. Perhaps you could take one just to keep other doors open.

Out of interest how is philosophy and ethics A level? it must be hard and tiring?

With that subject do you think a B grade student at RS GCSE would cope or it is too much of a struggle as even those with an A at GCSE get E's and U's?
Out of interest how is philosophy and ethics A level? it must be hard and tiring?

With that subject do you think a B grade student at RS GCSE would cope or it is too much of a struggle as even those with an A at GCSE get E's and U's?

GCSE RS is nothing like A level P&E. You don't need to have any previous knowledge of the subject - I never did GCSE RS. All I know is that it's a big step up from GCSE (which I heard most people find fairly easy) but if you're good at essay writing you should be fine. I'd actually say your grade at GCSE English is probably more indicative of how you do in P&E.

Either P&E isn't as hard as people think or else I have outstanding teachers, because most people in my class got As, Bs and Cs in their mocks.

The first year of study is not too bad, but the second year at A2 is, again, a big step up from what you do at AS.
GCSE RS is nothing like A level P&E. You don't need to have any previous knowledge of the subject - I never did GCSE RS. All I know is that it's a big step up from GCSE (which I heard most people find fairly easy) but if you're good at essay writing you should be fine. I'd actually say your grade at GCSE English is probably more indicative of how you do in P&E.

Either P&E isn't as hard as people think or else I have outstanding teachers, because most people in my class got As, Bs and Cs in their mocks.

The first year of study is not too bad, but the second year at A2 is, again, a big step up from what you do at AS.

Original post by German123

Edit: Sorry about this.
Everyone who has posted in this thread-thanks for the info.
(edited 8 years ago)

Thanks for the reply.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Here's an idea: if you are good at time management and could find a compatible timetable, perhaps you could do your btec at college and see of the college runs any A levels in the evening. Perhaps you could take one just to keep other doors open.

Its either college to do that BTEC or sixthform to do 2 A levels(Sociology, RS and that BTEC)?

Edit: the college only offers BTECS, no A levels.
(edited 8 years ago)

Out of interest, what made you swap from doing a BTEC to A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest