The Student Room Group

Some reoccurring problems in arguments on TSR which I hate

Some reoccurring argumentative fallacies:
- using "natural" and "normal" almost interchangeably.
Ffs stop doing this; "natural" means "occurring without human interference" and "normal" is often something which is dictated by majority. There are correlations, but they have distinct differences.

- there's a biological purpose; I understand why people might think this, but after having it explained to them, it shouldn't be a problem (this may pardon religious believers.) There is no purpose in biology, purpose (in this context) implies design & intent. There's no intentionality in evolution.

On top of this, the penis & vagina are NOT made for each other, they are COMPLEMENTARY to each other.
There's no biological purpose to reproduce ffs.

- I also hate it when people say/abuse/overuse the phrase "ad hominem" because what the people may deem as an insult actually expresses the person's viewpoint a lof of the time, worthwhile viewpoints.

Just to get this off my chest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mostly agree with you, but just one thing.

Original post by XcitingStuart
Some reoccurring argumentative fallacies:
- using "natural" and "normal" almost interchangeably.
Ffs stop doing this; "natural" means "occurring without human interference" and "normal" is often something which is dictated by majority. There are correlations, but they have distinct differences.

- there's a biological purpose; I understand why people might think this, but after having it explained to them, it shouldn't be a problem (this may pardon religious believers.) There is no purpose in biology, purpose (in this context) implies design & intent. There's no intentionality in evolution.

On top of this, the penis & vagina are NOT made for each other, they are COMPLEMENTARY to each other.
There's no biological purpose to reproduce ffs.

- I also hate it when people say/abuse/overuse the phrase "ad hominem" because what the people may deem as an insult actually expresses the person's viewpoint a lof of the time, worthwhile viewpoints.

Just to get this off my chest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please, enlighten me on how our species and several others wouldn't be extinct by now if this was the case.
(edited 8 years ago)
I find myself agreeing with you more and more, OP.
Original post by localblackguy
I mostly agree with you, but just one thing.

Please, enlighten me on how our species and several others wouldn't be extinct by now if this was the case.

That's not the point; that has nothing to do with it.

We survived, because we reproduced.
Not we reproduced, to survive.

(Well that's how I see it by the theory of evolution; those who didn't reproduce died)

Unless biological purpose is used in the context of "maltase" is used to digest "maltose" as you can't really explain it any other way; that's what it does.

But it hasn't been made for that purpose; it's evolved causing it to do that.

Another thing is, there's no intentionality in evolution, so no purpose.

And purpose implies design, but I'm not religious, hence you can't justify you're answer unless you believe you were designed by a deity, which then excuses you.
Original post by XcitingStuart
That's not the point; that has nothing to do with it.

We survived, because we reproduced.
Not we reproduced, to survive.

(Well that's how I see it by the theory of evolution; those who didn't reproduce died)

Unless biological purpose is used in the context of "maltase" is used to digest "maltose" as you can't really explain it any other way; that's what it does.

But it hasn't been made for that purpose; it's evolved causing it to do that.

Another thing is, there's no intentionality in evolution, so no purpose.

And purpose implies design, but I'm not religious, hence you can't justify you're answer unless you believe you were designed by a deity, which then excuses you.

Not only do I agree with what you say but I also like the way you presented and backed up your argument. Makes a change from the pre-pubescent drama queens on here whose sole aim is to initiate badly founded 'debates' or just because they like seein hissy fits.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Not only do I agree with what you say but I also like the way you presented and backed up your argument. Makes a change from the pre-pubescent drama queens on here whose sole aim is to initiate badly founded 'debates' or just because they like seein hissy fits.

Thanks; that's a real confidence booster. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending