The Student Room Group

How/Why is the Pope anybody special in the world in 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippity.doodah
I thought you said "he was being cute" was a joke - obviously he was stomping all over freedom of speech by saying "some things you're not allowed to say or else I'll hurt you" which isn't the funniest thing. and I did read it, that's how I know it was bad

Nah....that person was saying Christians/religious people are NORMAL human beings too and we can feel normal human emotions like anger, when being tested. Of course we try to be calm and turn the other cheek but even Jesus lost his temper when people made the Holy Temple into a market. He literally destroyed the temple.
We are not perfect. Hate the Pope if you want. Despise him, but right now it just seems like you are reaching to find anything to warrant your hate.
Original post by deborarosa
Nah....that person was saying Christians/religious people are NORMAL human beings too and we can feel normal human emotions like anger, when being tested. Of course we try to be calm and turn the other cheek but even Jesus lost his temper when people made the Holy Temple into a market. He literally destroyed the temple.

so jesus wasn't perfect - why should people worship him as an example? I thought his divine perfection as a human being was what made him special, besides being a god and all - literally, when I was in sunday school I had to hear them yap on a *billion* times about how jesus was this "perfect, absolutely sinless man" and the vicar would continue to brag about how much kissing his ass deserved. his perfection seemed to be the main concern of every song we would be forced to la-la about if it wasn't the size of god's nuts of course

We are not perfect. Hate the Pope if you want. Despise him, but right now it just seems like you are reaching to find anything to warrant your hate.

I don't "hate" the pope, I just think he's simply an audacious little fraud who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. I'm sure he's okay as a person but if the context is "he's the pope" then I can't really praise him at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah
so jesus wasn't perfect - why should people worship him as an example? I thought his divine perfection as a human being was what made him special, besides being a god and all - literally, when I was in sunday school I hear them yap on a *billion* times about how jesus was this "perfect, absolutely sinless man" and the vicar would continue to brag about how much kissing his ass deserved

I don't "hate" the pope, I just think he's simply an audacious little fraud who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. I'm sure he's okay as a person but if the context is "he's the pope" then I can't really praise him at all.

Showing emotion doesn't mean you're not perfect lmao. Jesus is the human form of my (I would say our but its obvious you're an atheist lol) perfect God and therefore had human emotions.... Anyway......this isn't an overall religious debate but about the Pope. Ok then, you don't hate him but dislike his title. You're mind-set obviously hasn't changed so just carry on then lol
Original post by deborarosa
Showing emotion doesn't mean you're not perfect lmao. Jesus is the human form of my (I would say our but its obvious you're an atheist lol) perfect God and therefore had human emotions.... Anyway......this isn't an overall religious debate but about the Pope. Ok then, you don't hate him but dislike his title. You're mind-set obviously hasn't changed so just carry on then lol

but surely perfect god + regularly flawed human genes at least = flawless human being? surely if god was all knowing, and therefore causing jesus himself to be all knowing, then he would have known about the hypothetical mistakes that he could have made in the future (but if he was perfect they wouldn't be definition be mistakes, that's why I say "hypothetical":wink: and therefore wouldn't have committed them. and also, from this, he must have known about what was moral and what was an act of godliness (and he was a god, so it would have been in his nature) so how could a deity in human form have possibly been such an obvious amateur (with reference to the temple 'incident':wink: in practising a moral life?

and yes, you're right - I don't necessarily hate him as a person but I definitely can admit that his title is empty of any merit and extremely pretentious - popes have never seemed to have been good people in world history and this pope, francis, is not really an exception to this rule - he is just trying to balance public-image globally and catholic-respect and he comes off as appearing like a two faced hypocrite (especially regarding the fact that he is obviously not living the life that jesus would have wanted, e.g. the fact that he is spectacularly immodest regarding his economic status, and his palace(s)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending