The Student Room Group

Is anyone else shocked by this reaction?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skip_Snip
Maybe she likes the way the hair looks on her? Because it clearly suits her. Cultural insensitivity my foot.

'kay, you're not trying to understand.
She's doing something that black people have been wearing for yearrrrrrs (it's called ghetto when they wear it of course) because it protects and makes their hair grow, and when she does it "omggg so nice, so edgy, so cool". Same thing when she was wearing dreads.
Original post by jedanselemyia
She needs to understand her cultural insensitivity and how annoying it is to other communities. She's one of many wiggers who try to get near black people to be edgy/cool or whatevs but it's ridiculous. People are more aware now and can see through the BS.

This is stupid. What does her trying 'to get near black people to be edgy/cool or whatevs' have to do with the hairstyle. She does that whether she has this hairstyle or not.

Let's say a white person who wasn't famous and you knew nothing of did the same hairstyle - would you still have an issue? That's the debate here, and you're bringing in external factors such as her media image and the persona you portray her to have through her media image.

Like others have said it's like a black person wearing a blonde wig. No difference, and nothing to be offended about.
She's doing something that black people have been wearing for yearrrrrrs (it's called ghetto when they wear it of course) because it protects and makes their hair grow, and when she does it "omggg so nice, so edgy, so cool". Same thing when she was wearing dreads.

Do explain why this still makes it a problem or rude/racist thing to do?

Where did she say it was edgy or cool?
Original post by yellowcopter
This is stupid. What does her trying 'to get near black people to be edgy/cool or whatevs' have to do with the hairstyle. She does that whether she has this hairstyle or not.

Let's say a white person who wasn't famous and you knew nothing of did the same hairstyle - would you still have an issue? That's the debate here, and you're bringing in external factors such as her media image and the persona you portray her to have through her media image.

Like others have said it's like a black person wearing a blonde wig. No difference, and nothing to be offended about.

Maybe because cornrows are a black hairstyle? And blond hair isn't a "white thing".
A little white girl did box braids once and people were a bit pissed, research it.
Do explain why this still makes it a problem or rude/racist thing to do?

When you "embrace" certain parts of a culture, you're expected to feel close to the people of that culture, right? Say Jenner wore bindis and shawal qaseems, which is part of South Asian culture. You'd expect her to feel close to people of that culture, empathise with them and so forth. But Jenner isn't doing that, she's cherry picking like she's in a garden or something and wearing stuff without considering the history/meaning behind it.
Where did she say it was edgy or cool?

The media does. Compare how Zendaya Coleman and Kylie Jenner, who both wore dreads, were treated.
She's treating the hairstyle as somekind of accessory when it's deeper than that. Yes, as a non black, non part black person, you probably don't understand how important hair is to the black community, but it doesn't mean you need to dismiss something you can't understand.
Maybe because cornrows are a black hairstyle? And blond hair isn't a "white thing".
A little white girl did box braids once and people were a bit pissed, research it.

I could say a fringe or a bob is a white hairstyle. Would be stupid if white people started having all sorts of issues with black people getting fringes and bobs now wouldn't it? Same thing applies regardless of the racial scenario.

When you "embrace" certain parts of a culture, you're expected to feel close to the people of that culture, right? Say Jenner wore bindis and shawal qaseems, which is part of South Asian culture. You'd expect her to feel close to people of that culture, empathise with them and so forth. But Jenner isn't doing that, she's cherry picking like she's in a garden or something and wearing stuff without considering the history/meaning behind it.
No, I don't expect that. I'm Indian, so at many weddings I have seen white and black guests wearing sarees and bindis, usually always unaware of their history nor meaning. Did I have any issue with it? No, because that's just silly and being butthurt over nothing like you're being.
I could say a fringe or a bob is a white hairstyle. Would be stupid if white people started having all sorts of issues with black people getting fringes and bobs now wouldn't it? Same thing applies regardless of the racial scenario.

No, I don't expect that. I'm Indian, so at many weddings I have seen white and black guests wearing sarees and bindis, usually always unaware of their history nor meaning. Did I have any issue with it? No, because that's just silly and being butthurt over nothing like you're being.

Why is it a white hairstyle? You're trying to find equivalents when there aren't any lol
Yes because white people don't have any particular cultural attachement to their hair and I say this as a half white person.
I guess it's not the same then. I'm just trying to explain/debate and you call me butthurt without trying to understand.
You'd expect her to feel close to people of that culture, empathise with them and so forth. But Jenner isn't doing that, she's cherry picking like she's in a garden or something and wearing stuff without considering the history/meaning behind it.

How do you know she isn't?

The media does.

That's not her fault.
Why is it a white hairstyle? You're trying to find equivalents when there aren't any lol
Yes because white people don't have any particular cultural attachement to their hair and I say this as a half white person.
I guess it's not the same then. I'm just trying to explain/debate and you call me butthurt without trying to understand.

Your argument is weak. There are equivalents but regardless of how many I or any others may list, you'll just keep saying 'why is it a white hairstyle', so what's the point? Also who made the law btw that cornrows were a black hairstyle? I knew, in fact still know many other ethinicites who have them. This is not a new nor bad thing and it has been happening since 2000. Just because plenty of black people have it and do it to maintain their hair again does not mean nor make it a moral crime for other ethnicities to do their hair like that.

Hair is just hair, stop being silly and realise everyone around you is saying the same thing. I would try and understand but you're not saying any arguments that are well backed up or worth considering.

Cultural attachment is not a reason others can't wear/do the same. So what you see a white woman in cornrows walking down the street are you going to go around shouting at her claiming she's a racist?

Funny how you're ignoring all my points. Can you reply to this point already? I just mentioned about people other cultures wearing sarees. A saree is also a culture attachment of Indian people.

I for one, as an Indian person have no issue at all with this despite the wearers knowing nothing about the garment except that it looks nice. So if I can, you can have no issue with others doing the same with what you call 'black hairstyles'.

I'm out, getting frustrating talking to a brick wall.
How do you know she isn't?

That's not her fault.

Has she taken a stand for black people amid Charleston/Ferguson/Baltimore? No. As long as she can wear hairstyles that don't suit her hair type, she doesn't care if black people get killed by the police. Same thing with Iggy Azalea: she tries to sound black, ghetto and edgy when she's a superficial white Australian girl who can't freestyle for 2 cents.

True, but maybe she could take a stand I dunno?
A lot of white people who owe nothing to black folks, have.
Cannot believe people are fighting over a style of braid. I have yet to read a good articulate reason as to why non black people should not have cornrows. Braids are not an exclusively black hairstyle nor an exclusively white hairstyle but rather an exclusively human hairstyle. There's more important matters in the world to deal with than somebody's human right to look how they like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PobNotBob
Cannot believe people are fighting over a style of braid. I have yet to read a good articulate reason as to why non black people should not have cornrows. Braids are not an exclusively black hairstyle nor an exclusively white hairstyle but rather an exclusively human hairstyle. There's more important matters in the world to deal with an somebody's human right to look how they like.

Exactly. I can't believe half of the ridiculous opposing responses I've heard.
Has she taken a stand for black people amid Charleston/Ferguson/Baltimore? No.

So if she had, would you still think she shouldn't have her braids?
Reply 35
Black people stole the cornrow from the Orsimer anyway.

Pretty sure they are a much older race.

#CheckMate
Original post by A5ko
Black people stole the cornrow from the Orsimer anyway.

Pretty sure they are a much older race.

#CheckMate

What are you five? Nobody can be credited with the braid since it's more than 5000 years old.
Reply 37
Original post by PobNotBob

What are you five? Nobody can be credited with the braid since it's more than 5000 years old.

It's wildly accepted that the Orsimer were the first race present on the main continent.
Original post by A5ko
It's wildly accepted that the Orsimer were the first race present on the main continent.

I've no idea any more this thread is making my head hurt. I'll say one last thing. Braids are seen in all cultures and therefore shouldn't be seen as belonging exclusively to one culture. There are more important issues than this in the world.

Miss! Miss! Shes copying me!!!! How juvenile...

For your own sake I hope you are a teenager and haven't learnt what the word subjective means. That means you can look back on this thread and laugh at yourself one day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending