The Student Room Group

Is university worth the money now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Mad Vlad
Depends what you study.

I've done pretty well for myself.

Studied economics, i know it's a good course. But it's the sort of course where you need to be better than everyone else and prove to the employers that you're unique. I've only done the first year and it was pretty stressful, imagine year 2 and 3. How stressful it would be then. I would rather make money, spend and invest and have fun rather than continue with all the burden that uni has to offer. Currently off to go holland soon, wouldn't be able to do that during uni besides i wouldn't even have money to start with if i were to be in uni
Original post by shannon09star
Ba Fine art is worth it and is a amazing course to do at university. On my course I have been taught many things and with doing a art course it is great to learn skills in problem solving, working in groups, and is a very thought provoking and worthy course to do at uni.

I know a lot of unemployed Fine Arts grads. They graduated in 2011/12 and I don't know a single one who isn't either on benefits or working in the service sector. I think teaching is probably the best way to go with that degree but the problem at the moment is that there is no demand for art teachers. My friend did a PGCE straight afterwards and can't get a teaching job so she's working in retail -3 years on. I know you haven't asked for advice but regardless of what year you're in -start looking at careers now and get work experience and a lot of it - don't leave it until 3rd year. I'd personally take on a P/T job too.

As for the thread question -as a humanities graduate who is going back to do a BSc -it completely depends on the degree.

I would never advise anyone to do a BA without them 100% clearly understanding why they are doing it, what jobs it can lead to, how competitive those jobs are to secure, the employment rates of their particular degree and a crystal clear 4/5 year plan. Other wise - take a year out/get a job and figure out what you want from life before getting a useless degree which will prevent you from applying to apprenticeships or retraining.

In the past a BA would have got you a decent graduate level job but it's different now and too many people have degrees - a BA won't make you stand out. If you want an almost guaranteed job after a degree then do a vocational degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 302
Original post by TheElvenQueen
In the past we never had to pay tuition fees and only the brightest went to uni everyone else tech college, job etc now many people will not be able to pay these debts back and then the tax payer will be out of pocket even the gov has admitted its got it wrong. Its pushing us poor clever kids out and pushing in the average middle class + kids >(
Teachers make uni seem like the only option for kids and pump up the whole social aspect like 'best party years of your life etc' so why cant your whole life be a party why settle down after uni rather be like Richard Brandson on my yacht /private island enjoying my job/life till I die rather than some 9-5 joe who decided to be a sheep go to uni, get an average job, retire then die.
I could do a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of people I know going to uni cause I love learning & I've always been an academic but I'm far more socially smart to know for £50k there are way better ways to learn/spend my time. Uni/work abroad,apprenticeships, jobs plenty of options out there.
Anyone thinking of doing a degree go abroad & think do I really need a degree or should I just get work experience. Boycott uni only thing they are giving you is debt which the older generations never had to suffer with!

Yeah that's exactly what it is, i mean if it weren't teachers pressuring us into uni. It would either be our peers or our parents that would encourage and make us want to get into uni. If i rewinded my life a year ago i wouldn't even imagine taking a years gap as again i would've been pressured and i wouldn't know what to do exactly within that year. And i'm not the type to waste my time. But i definitely agree to your statement about richard brandson, i'd rather earn my wealth now and enjoy when im middle aged, definitely don't want to be the average joe throughout my life.

I could do a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of people I know going to uni cause I love learning & I've always been an academic but I'm far more socially smart to know for £50k there are way better ways to learn/spend my time. Uni/work abroad,apprenticeships, jobs plenty of options out there.

Exactly that, i enjoy learning and i will do throughout my life. I enjoy appreciating the small lessons that life has to give and also keeping an open mind and using all opportunities to my advantage, hence i'm going for apprenticeship in project management shortly after i get a promotion in my workplace to a manager. Uni only teaches you the theory of a specific subject but won't teach you life lessons at all! and that's what these closed minded people aren't seeing. As i've mentioned earlier in the post, i've driven around londons night life and partying in london especially is so much better than partying at uni. a small minority of the uni students are from the country side and haven't experienced such, so in all fairness i'm not losing out on anything. Myself, i like to have a small circle rather than a big and i guess you could imagine why. That's why i'm not too fussed about being so mr popular because i've made my life time friends and i know they'll be there rather than 1000 friends where i can't trust.

but with 50k, that's an achievable income within 3-5 years if you knowing what you're doing. My intentions are that me and my older brother are splitting half to pay a deposit down on a uni house since there will always be a high demand for it within the next 5 years and earn money through that way. 10 years time hopefully have a total of 3-4 houses by then since our careers would've developed and mean that we would earn much greater. Again, there's much more to learn in life than what uni has to offer :u:
Reply 303
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I know a lot of unemployed Fine Arts grads. They graduated in 2011/12 and I don't know a single one who isn't either on benefits or working in the service sector. I think teaching is probably the best way to go with that degree but the problem at the moment is that there is no demand for art teachers. My friend did a PGCE straight afterwards and can't get a teaching job so she's working in retail -3 years on. I know you haven't asked for advice but regardless of what year you're in -start looking at careers now and get work experience and a lot of it - don't leave it until 3rd year. I'd personally take on a P/T job too.

As for the thread question -as a humanities graduate who is going back to do a BSc -it completely depends on the degree.

I would never advise anyone to do a BA without them 100% clearly understanding why they are doing it, what jobs it can lead to, how competitive those jobs are to secure, the employment rates of their particular degree and a crystal clear 4/5 year plan. Other wise - take a year out/get a job and figure out what you want from life before getting a useless degree which will prevent you from applying to apprenticeships or retraining.

In the past a BA would have got you a decent graduate level job but it's dofferent now and too many people have degrees - a BA won't make you stand out. If you want an almost guaranteed job after a degree then do a vocational degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for shannons sake, yes it would be advisable to get some experience in teaching whether that be daycare or teaching assistant. Experience is experience and employers love that. right now shannon knows whats best for her and the intentions she'll be going forward in the coming years. She has previously mentioned that she's only done her first year and i would expect the uni to give out careers advise in the next coming years of her education where she can take on board and take action on it.

But definitely, the individual should know what they want in the next 5 years of their life, it's all about keeping an open mind about the career situation and know what's best for you and also taking every opportunity to make sure you can excel in your life time

BA would've gotten a decent job a decade or two ago but times have changed and competition is too high, whatever an individual does with the degree they need to perform the best they can do and be better than everyone else. Not just get a degree thinking they'll get a job immediately, but getting a degree whilst earning some experience on side line
I'm really worried about the cost of university. I come from a working class family and i'm the first of four siblings to have applied to uni, but i don't know if it's worth it. Can you become a primary school teacher or a paediatric nurse without a degree?? Any input could be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by TanMan
Yeah that's exactly what it is, i mean if it weren't teachers pressuring us into uni. It would either be our peers or our parents that would encourage and make us want to get into uni. If i rewinded my life a year ago i wouldn't even imagine taking a years gap as again i would've been pressured and i wouldn't know what to do exactly within that year. And i'm not the type to waste my time. But i definitely agree to your statement about richard brandson, i'd rather earn my wealth now and enjoy when im middle aged, definitely don't want to be the average joe throughout my life.

Exactly that, i enjoy learning and i will do throughout my life. I enjoy appreciating the small lessons that life has to give and also keeping an open mind and using all opportunities to my advantage, hence i'm going for apprenticeship in project management shortly after i get a promotion in my workplace to a manager. Uni only teaches you the theory of a specific subject but won't teach you life lessons at all! and that's what these closed minded people aren't seeing. As i've mentioned earlier in the post, i've driven around londons night life and partying in london especially is so much better than partying at uni. a small minority of the uni students are from the country side and haven't experienced such, so in all fairness i'm not losing out on anything. Myself, i like to have a small circle rather than a big and i guess you could imagine why. That's why i'm not too fussed about being so mr popular because i've made my life time friends and i know they'll be there rather than 1000 friends where i can't trust.

but with 50k, that's an achievable income within 3-5 years if you knowing what you're doing. My intentions are that me and my older brother are splitting half to pay a deposit down on a uni house since there will always be a high demand for it within the next 5 years and earn money through that way. 10 years time hopefully have a total of 3-4 houses by then since our careers would've developed and mean that we would earn much greater. Again, there's much more to learn in life than what uni has to offer :u:

Totally agree with everything you've said :smile: Many people think ah mates for life just cause its uni but the reality is most of them lose contact with each other its far better to have a small circle like you said than a giant fake one.

What I still cant believe is how many kids who pretend to be independent in school then it comes to uni and they don't know how to use a washing machine XD My friends who went to uni complain about mess, loneliness, etc & I'm just like you expected a party?? Hopefully uni will go back to its old academic true nature and all you can expect is sitting down reading up your subject without having to bump up expectations.

I've went to London last year with mate last year your right its the best (I'm an old Londoner so going back always going to be good) :biggrin: my friend goes to Lancaster & he was in awe have you been up to the nightclub in leicester square its next to M&M(you have to go up tons of stairs) got a balcony its very small like a little room bar sofa so much better than the campy nightclubs up north!

Awesome idea on the uni house lots of rental income. Also I find uni students are the best customers if you want to set up a business like cookery lessons etc because many of them need a lot of help so will pay their way to get what they want rather than come up with ideas themselves (Richard Brandson did student magazine first)

Your right about the close minded people they think uni can teach them all about independence etc. but the reality is it was only ever designed as a lead u for the future academics like professors & doctors etc. who need higher education not as a life altering event.
Also I was once a carer so money ,looking after someone & myself is a walk in the park. Also dealt with family death now uni doesn't teach people how to handle that and that is probably one of life's biggest tasks to overcome until we all face our own deaths.

Good luck on the job btw I think you will do much better than the average Joe
This is a great thread btw good to hear likeminded opinions
Original post by colouring
I'm really worried about the cost of university. I come from a working class family and i'm the first of four siblings to have applied to uni, but i don't know if it's worth it. Can you become a primary school teacher or a paediatric nurse without a degree?? Any input could be greatly appreciated :smile:

No and no.
You can get bypass getting a degree to become a teacher if you join the army and then retire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ryanx623
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to rip this apart.

How does art improve problem solving exactly? Don't get me wrong I never liked art so never payed any attention, just wondering on this one.

As for my argument, the things you have mentioned, are available from any course, Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on art itself, I just don't see it as something that benefits from a degree when a lot of it could be self taught, for example the guy above you mention photoshop skills. An online course or just plain practice teaches you that to a average standard....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Art does improve and involve problem solving because many mistakes and problems occur when doing art. Though it is up to the artist to either embrace mistakes or solve them. Many things can go wrong when painting for example, it could be a colour choice that isn't right or the proportions of something that is being represented. When doing sculptures you have to think about materials that are being used and have to solve problems regarding space and if the materials are suitable to use. With art you got to think about the mediums and choices of what to use when expressing certain ideas, and sometimes an idea doesn't work out when created a certain way, so it requires a different approach.Another thing is I had many problems when working collaboratively with others, as when artists join together.... so do different opinions and personalities. In Art there are many problems that occur and many mistakes that are made, and fine artists got to solve all the problems that occur. Whether the problems are based on errors made when drawing and painting something, or something as simple as mixing a wrong colour when painting.I do agree that art can be self taught, but it is valuable degree to have because it is great to be surrounded by others that are passionate about art, and the guidance given by tutors and the taught workshops are very valuable.
Im currently doing a level 2 diploma as an apprentice. Im really not sure if i should take another year to do my level 3 so i can get into university or not! I dont have A levels and level 2 wont get me into university. Advice please? I want to do logistics and business administration. Should i bother or just continue to get a job??
Original post by somethingbeautiful

In the past a BA would have got you a decent graduate level job but it's different now and too many people have degrees - a BA won't make you stand out. If you want an almost guaranteed job after a degree then do a vocational degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan to do an MA Fine art degree afterwards, and then do a PGCE later on. I understand there isn't a high demand for art teachers yet, so I hope to gain as many qualifications and experience as possible before then. It is going to be a very long journey, but it shall be worth it.
Original post by TanMan
for shannons sake, yes it would be advisable to get some experience in teaching whether that be daycare or teaching assistant. Experience is experience and employers love that. right now shannon knows whats best for her and the intentions she'll be going forward in the coming years. She has previously mentioned that she's only done her first year and i would expect the uni to give out careers advise in the next coming years of her education where she can take on board and take action on it.

But definitely, the individual should know what they want in the next 5 years of their life, it's all about keeping an open mind about the career situation and know what's best for you and also taking every opportunity to make sure you can excel in your life time

BA would've gotten a decent job a decade or two ago but times have changed and competition is too high, whatever an individual does with the degree they need to perform the best they can do and be better than everyone else. Not just get a degree thinking they'll get a job immediately, but getting a degree whilst earning some experience on side line

In September I will be becoming a mentor and helping new students coming to university. I hope to do little bits of experience through out my course, and then progress onto MA Fine art course before undertaking the PGCE. It will be a long journey, but I want to gather alot of knowledge and qualifications before becoming a teacher.
Reply 311

I believe you could become a primary school teacher without a degree but would need a lot of experience. But for paediatric nurse, i think you'd need to have a degree at least to show the employers that you're qualified for the job and have the theory and some strong understanding of nursing. But don't count on that, ask a few employers to search and asks relevant people/sites :smile:
Reply 312
Original post by TheElvenQueen
Totally agree with everything you've said :smile: Many people think ah mates for life just cause its uni but the reality is most of them lose contact with each other its far better to have a small circle like you said than a giant fake one.

What I still cant believe is how many kids who pretend to be independent in school then it comes to uni and they don't know how to use a washing machine XD My friends who went to uni complain about mess, loneliness, etc & I'm just like you expected a party?? Hopefully uni will go back to its old academic true nature and all you can expect is sitting down reading up your subject without having to bump up expectations.

I've went to London last year with mate last year your right its the best (I'm an old Londoner so going back always going to be good) :biggrin: my friend goes to Lancaster & he was in awe have you been up to the nightclub in leicester square its next to M&M(you have to go up tons of stairs) got a balcony its very small like a little room bar sofa so much better than the campy nightclubs up north!

Awesome idea on the uni house lots of rental income. Also I find uni students are the best customers if you want to set up a business like cookery lessons etc because many of them need a lot of help so will pay their way to get what they want rather than come up with ideas themselves (Richard Brandson did student magazine first)

Your right about the close minded people they think uni can teach them all about independence etc. but the reality is it was only ever designed as a lead u for the future academics like professors & doctors etc. who need higher education not as a life altering event.
Also I was once a carer so money ,looking after someone & myself is a walk in the park. Also dealt with family death now uni doesn't teach people how to handle that and that is probably one of life's biggest tasks to overcome until we all face our own deaths.

Good luck on the job btw I think you will do much better than the average Joe
This is a great thread btw good to hear likeminded opinions

Yeah for sure, there are too many students that don't know how to do the basic of things such as cooking, cleaning etc. They've been so nurtured by their parents that everything's done for them, all their mentality is aww yeah i'm going clubbing this weekend! and expect their halls to be cleaned by the time their back. I can't imagine how they would be like when they finally move out, see if they have learnt any life lessons. University should definitely get back to its true nature of pen and paper rather than all this hype of what everyone makes it to be. University again doesn't care about you as an individual, they only watch of for their own reputation. Throughout the year i had a friend whose family member died, they told the admins office of their absence, but they couldn't care less. They wanted a death certificate to prove it or else they'd get a strike for attendance (only get three and then you're off the course)

And yeah i know about that club! i've always walked past it but never been. It's suppose to be a penthouse club sorta thing, i was invited by my friends but never got the chance to go. But i shall one day :h: but see, that's what i mean. At least the clubs in london have class rather than all these trampy night clubs, which chances nothing would happen.

I think exploiting uni students is the biggest market since there will always be a huge number of them wanting to do this and that. Especially renting out houses, once they're in a contract it's not an easy task for them to get out of. As well as any damages they make throughout the year, there's a deposit which should cover it all. Whereas being a landlord for the renters outside of uni. Some may know what they're doing and will leave just as it is without paying or would even make up excuses.

But as you mentioned, that's how uni should be as of right now, the stem courses. Science, technology, engineer and medical. But that being said there are courses and career paths that would need a degree such as teaching. So in fairness, if you know it's going to get you somewhere then go for it. No one's really restricting you. So yeah uni doesn't teach you anything but theory for the specific course, doesn't teach you the principals of life imo, as you said dealing with death etc.

But it comes to another topic, those whose family are financially struggling, would it not be more wise to make money now and support the family rather than get the family in more debt? lets just say you come out of uni with 60k debt, an interest rate of 5% apr? that's nearly £3k a year added on top which won't be paid throughout the life time and would be a never ending debt. But thank you :colondollar:
Reply 313
Original post by Sabre-Louise
Im currently doing a level 2 diploma as an apprentice. Im really not sure if i should take another year to do my level 3 so i can get into university or not! I dont have A levels and level 2 wont get me into university. Advice please? I want to do logistics and business administration. Should i bother or just continue to get a job??

Ideally that's the path i would want to go for, logistics. You should continue with your apprenticeship as what would uni teach you about logistics other that the term import export? other than that, going for a degree for logistics/business admin would be a waste of effort and time with stress over nothing. You're better off gaining experience here and there from different companies to excel in your career.

At the end of the day, it's your choice. Speak to whoever may be relevant to you and your career, ask around what employers seek and take it from there. Don't make university a priority right now as there are alternatives :smile:
Reply 314
Original post by shannon09star
In September I will be becoming a mentor and helping new students coming to university. I hope to do little bits of experience through out my course, and then progress onto MA Fine art course before undertaking the PGCE. It will be a long journey, but I want to gather alot of knowledge and qualifications before becoming a teacher.

Yeah exactly! being a mentor would be one of the best things you can do in university as it would be 'teaching' new students and having responsibilities with different people. and taking an MA would definitely but you on a fast track for PGCE as you'd be more qualified than someone with just a BA :smile: right now, gain as much knowledge and experience on the side as you can as everything you learn will be valuable for your degree, yourself and your life experience. It will be a tough road ahead, but i know your intentions and you know it even better so go for it and don't let anyone stop you! take every opportunity there is, don't slack around and be more interactive with the societies and become an ambassador for the societies you enjoy the most and i guarantee you that will make you unique as you're passionate and down for anything :h:
Original post by TanMan
I believe you could become a primary school teacher without a degree but would need a lot of experience. But for paediatric nurse, i think you'd need to have a degree at least to show the employers that you're qualified for the job and have the theory and some strong understanding of nursing. But don't count on that, ask a few employers to search and asks relevant people/sites :smile:

You have to have degree and gain NMC registration to be a nurse so you cant avoid it at all.
Same for teaching you have to do a degree that gets you qualified teachers status or do a degree then get your QTS by doing a pgce.
I m from a working class family and will be getting a £400 a month bursary throughout my nursing degree and theres loans to do primary education and you can manage just off that.
Original post by TanMan
Yeah exactly! being a mentor would be one of the best things you can do in university as it would be 'teaching' new students and having responsibilities with different people. and taking an MA would definitely but you on a fast track for PGCE as you'd be more qualified than someone with just a BA :smile: right now, gain as much knowledge and experience on the side as you can as everything you learn will be valuable for your degree, yourself and your life experience. It will be a tough road ahead, but i know your intentions and you know it even better so go for it and don't let anyone stop you! take every opportunity there is, don't slack around and be more interactive with the societies and become an ambassador for the societies you enjoy the most and i guarantee you that will make you unique as you're passionate and down for anything :h:

Thanks TanMan :smile: I will do my best.
Original post by Sabre-Louise

Do a level 3. It is always worth it even if you decide not to go to university after it. A level 3 will teach you quite a bit and give you even more experience, not to mention will be another qualification that will look great on your CV. If I was you, I would do a Level 3 as it will probably help you get a job that you desire :smile:
Reply 318
Anyone reading this here on after, has anyone actually done the student loan calculator to see how much you need to pay back? i really don't want to risk any warnings by posting images or links but i've done mine. £8k per year, £4k in loans totally £12k for the year. Times that by three (for the amount of years i'd be in uni) would total to £36k, now with interest rates added and everything it says it would take 30 years to pay back £66k @ £18k salary (sure that would go up, but the interest rates would go up to!) so it's a messed up situation and not everyone has seen what the government hides. Teachers and everyone will say "ahh yeah it'll be written off by the time you're 50" but within those 30 years so much money could've been saved! nevertheless, a degree is needed for some careers but hey please do check it out. Search for student loan repayment calculator
Original post by TanMan
Anyone reading this here on after, has anyone actually done the student loan calculator to see how much you need to pay back? i really don't want to risk any warnings by posting images or links but i've done mine. £8k per year, £4k in loans totally £12k for the year. Times that by three (for the amount of years i'd be in uni) would total to £36k, now with interest rates added and everything it says it would take 30 years to pay back £66k @ £18k salary (sure that would go up, but the interest rates would go up to!) so it's a messed up situation and not everyone has seen what the government hides. Teachers and everyone will say "ahh yeah it'll be written off by the time you're 50" but within those 30 years so much money could've been saved! nevertheless, a degree is needed for some careers but hey please do check it out. Search for student loan repayment calculator

I dare not think about the amount of debt I will be leaving uni with. Living in halls for three years and doing a BA degree. It will be some big debt at the end of all the course and things I will be doing. I reckon I be leaving uni with about £50k debt at least. It be great if we could win some sort of lottery or something to pay it all off. Though at least we know we won't be paying it off until we are earning so much.

Though when we do earn much, we will get stung big time by having to pay all that debt off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending