The Student Room Group

Thinking of leaving uni to start an apprenticeship...

I am currently a second year student (not done so well on this years results so I will have to retake my failed modules in Sept to progress to my dissertation year the following September). I have not found university easy, I moved away from home, realized how expensive everything was, the stress has really taken it's toll, aswell as the pressure from my parents to do well. They are literally relying on me to graduate.

At this moment in time, just thinking about the stress of completing my course is getting to me and I have become open on doing an apprenticeship. I am tired of being broke, and not earing, and getting rinsed due to all the uni costs in the year (rent, living costs, books etc). The apprenticeship I have found is something I am so passionate about, and it has a decent pay, and it wouldn't mean I would have to move away again.

I don't know what to do. I am already in debt, and the pressure and stress is really gotten to me. I love my course at uni, I am so passionate about it but it is too much. My heart is telling me to leave uni and do the apprenticeship, but my mind is telling me stick it out, and do my parents proud. I am just not happy with studying anymore at all. I am studying Geography to, and I just know on paper yeah great I will have a degree, but I know I will not find a job in that subject, and as I wanted to do postgrad, that is not an option anymore because the fees for postgrad study are just stupid, and there is no funding available for postgrad.

I am stuck. Stick out uni, more debt, pressure and stress? Or start an apprenticeship, start earning, which will defo lead me into a stable career?????

Help!!!
do what you think is right not what others think. my parents wanted me to go uni too and do accounting but i chose to do an apprenticeship ( in computer science) and now they are happy with the decision i made.
Reply 2
Original post by auxja
I am currently a second year student (not done so well on this years results so I will have to retake my failed modules in Sept to progress to my dissertation year the following September). I have not found university easy, I moved away from home, realized how expensive everything was, the stress has really taken it's toll, aswell as the pressure from my parents to do well. They are literally relying on me to graduate.

At this moment in time, just thinking about the stress of completing my course is getting to me and I have become open on doing an apprenticeship. I am tired of being broke, and not earing, and getting rinsed due to all the uni costs in the year (rent, living costs, books etc). The apprenticeship I have found is something I am so passionate about, and it has a decent pay, and it wouldn't mean I would have to move away again.

I don't know what to do. I am already in debt, and the pressure and stress is really gotten to me. I love my course at uni, I am so passionate about it but it is too much. My heart is telling me to leave uni and do the apprenticeship, but my mind is telling me stick it out, and do my parents proud. I am just not happy with studying anymore at all. I am studying Geography to, and I just know on paper yeah great I will have a degree, but I know I will not find a job in that subject, and as I wanted to do postgrad, that is not an option anymore because the fees for postgrad study are just stupid, and there is no funding available for postgrad.

I am stuck. Stick out uni, more debt, pressure and stress? Or start an apprenticeship, start earning, which will defo lead me into a stable career?????

Help!!!

You know what, i had a mini 'mid life crisis' if you want to put it this way when i went to take a couple resits. I didn't know what to do i was beyond stress to the point i was emotionless at everything, i looked down at the amount of graphs i drew on my exam paper and i asked myself, is this something i can apply to my future job? This was all theory we're learning. Students averaging 40-50k debt by the end of their degree isn't worth it at this day and age. A degree might have meant something a decade ago but not now.

Back to my story, i was at a hotel and a mother approached me and we had a chit chat about my life and her life. I told her that i didn't want to continue with university and it's a waste of time. She also agreed, the quote that got me although its cliche she said "Follow your heart wherever it wants to go" now hearing this from a complete stranger really motivated me. Getting into university now is all pressure, there's no need for it. Only degree worth really getting is medical sciences or IT based courses. Choosing a generic one like business marketing or across that area, you need to do a good job and a really damn good job about it. to recieve a 1st in the degree. Which is hard to achieve and it's not worth the stress when you can be going for apprenticeship, earning money and going on holidays where you'll have fun rather than be ridden in university prison!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending