The Student Room Group

ENGB4 Language Investigation - Advice

Hey..
So I am thinking of looking at 2 political speeches and comparing their language in relation to some frameworks.

BUT I know this is done quite often.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how I could make this investigation 'unique' (as long as it appears unique in my centre really). Has anyone got any ideas? Hypothesis or questions?

Thanks
Try comparing an old speech- one of Hitler's?- with a fairly modern speech, and compare diachronic language change ect? Just a thought!
Original post by Elisha Rebekah
Try comparing an old speech- one of Hitler's?- with a fairly modern speech, and compare diachronic language change ect? Just a thought!

Yes definitely something to think about.. thank you!

I was thinking of looking at Obama's 2nd inauguration speech and comparing it to Cameron's acceptance speech in March.. but this is quite generic.
Original post by SamBurtonBKC
Yes definitely something to think about.. thank you!

I was thinking of looking at Obama's 2nd inauguration speech and comparing it to Cameron's acceptance speech in March.. but this is quite generic.

Or, better still, compare a fictional speech (dramatic monologue) with a real life speech? I studied AQA English Language and Literature B and the A2 module (ELLB3) was entitled: Talk in Life and Literature. In the exam, you had to compare one transcribed, real life conversation (eg- a speech) with a literary representation of talk (eg- a dramatic monologue). The focus of the comparison was on differences between talk in life and literature (spoken language study- spontaneous vs crafted speech), context, purpose, audience and the way in which the speakers' attitudes and values are conveyed. Perhaps you could do something similar? There would be some interesting points of comparison :smile:
Original post by Elisha Rebekah
Or, better still, compare a fictional speech (dramatic monologue) with a real life speech? I studied AQA English Language and Literature B and the A2 module (ELLB3) was entitled: Talk in Life and Literature. In the exam, you had to compare one transcribed, real life conversation (eg- a speech) with a literary representation of talk (eg- a dramatic monologue). The focus of the comparison was on differences between talk in life and literature (spoken language study- spontaneous vs crafted speech), context, purpose, audience and the way in which the speakers' attitudes and values are conveyed. Perhaps you could do something similar? There would be some interesting points of comparison :smile:

Yeah that would be interesting to look at.. is there any example answers from the papers i could read?? you're giving me some great ideas!
Original post by SamBurtonBKC
Yeah that would be interesting to look at.. is there any example answers from the papers i could read?? you're giving me some great ideas!

There are no candidate exemplars I'm afraid; all I have are practice questions I've completed for exam revision, but none on political speeches. I have a good one comparing a transcript and an extract from a novel if you want to see how you could go about structuring the essay to include all comparison points? I also have a couple of spoken language/English-in-general glossaries that may be of use to you if you want to dm me your email and I can send them through?

Glad I could be of some help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending