The Student Room Group

Mature Student and references

I'm considering going to Uni, I'm studying A levels via distance learning so can't really use them for a UCAS reference.
For the last few years I haven't been working much but have a zero hours job that I've been in for 18 months or so, that fits around my family life as there are very few hours, i.e one shift every couple of months, this is supplemented with some self employed work.
Would a reference from my line manager in my zero hours position be seen as suitable for my UCAS form?
Original post by fredboris
I'm considering going to Uni, I'm studying A levels via distance learning so can't really use them for a UCAS reference.
For the last few years I haven't been working much but have a zero hours job that I've been in for 18 months or so, that fits around my family life as there are very few hours, i.e one shift every couple of months, this is supplemented with some self employed work.
Would a reference from my line manager in my zero hours position be seen as suitable for my UCAS form?

This is a difficult one as universities want to see some reference to academic work. However, in circumstances like yours, there often is no one, through no one's fault. The first place to start is by contacting the universities and asking them who they would find acceptable before you start to fill in your Ucas form. I'll move this over to the mature students' forum, where you certainly won't be the first or last one with this issue, and someone who's been through it will perhaps be able to give you a hand.
Guidance from UCAS is here https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/how-get-reference

You are, however, a relatively unusual case in that your options for finding a referee are limited.

Have you done any volunteering lately? If so, you could ask them for a reference, but failing that you'll have to ask your boss at the zero hours job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't have an academic reference as have been out of education for a while so had to use my employer and I got 5 offers so couldn't have been that bad. As long as your employer is ok about giving you a reference as not all will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fredboris

I used an employer reference and got 4/5 offers. As long as they can talk about your personality and why you'd excel in higher education that should be enough.
Reply 5
I used 2 previous employers as referees for my masters apps and was accepted into several. If possible
ask them to include reference to your commitment to continuous personal development and / or training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a reference from my tutor when I did a distance course (Access to HE). Have you asked them? I know that UCAS favour academic references relating to your recent studies, but I think they also favour employers/professionals' reference as well if you cannot provide an academic one. It SHOULD be suitable. But you'd have to apply to UCAS an an 'individual' instead.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest