The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn meltdown over Hamas support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by footstool1924
That doesn't say anything about limiting civilian casualties.

the opening comment 'they fired 3 waring shots' is the clue

why would they fire waring shots if not to warn people to reduce casualties?
Original post by PopaPork
the opening comment 'they fired 3 waring shots' is the clue

So they fire warning shots at everyone they are going to bomb?

why would they fire waring shots if not to warn people to reduce casualties?

I don't know. Why fire hundreds of these "knock on the roofs" if only a minimal amount of homes were going to be destroyed?

I don't know. Why not fire "knock on the roof" warnings to all the bombings prior to being flattened?

I don't know. Why use "knock on the roof" as an excuse and justification for atrocious numbers of civilian casualties?
So they fire warning shots at everyone they are going to bomb?

I don't know. Why fire hundreds of these "knock on the roofs" if only a minimal amount of homes were going to be destroyed?

I don't know. Why not fire "knock on the roof" warnings to all the bombings prior to being flattened?

I don't know. Why use "knock on the roof" as an excuse and justification for atrocious numbers of civilian casualties?

No and that's not the claim I made (failed straw man, moving the goal posts)

you made the statement 'That doesn't say anything about limiting civilian casualties.'

I responded with the opening line of the video where they clearly state that Israel fired waring shots in this instance

I asked you why do they fire waring shots if not to reduce causalities

So I ask again given he clearly states that in this instance Israel fired a waring shot as he clearly states how can you claim that 'That doesn't say anything about limiting civilian casualties. '

Or can you explain what other purpose there is for firing a waring shot if not to reduce casualties.
Original post by PopaPork
No and that's not the claim I made (failed straw man, moving the goal posts)

you made the statement 'That doesn't say anything about limiting civilian casualties.'

I responded with the opening line of the video where they clearly state that Israel fired waring shots in this instance

I asked you why do they fire waring shots if not to reduce causalities

So I ask again given he clearly states that in this instance Israel fired a waring shot as he clearly states how can you claim that 'That doesn't say anything about limiting civilian casualties. '

It doesn't say anything about limiting civilian casualties.

You have spuriously made a link between "Israel firing warning shots" and a lack of civilian casualties.

Could you now prove that the knock on the roof systems limits civilian casualties?

Or can you explain what other purpose there is for firing a waring shot if not to reduce casualties.

Perhaps if you explain the casual link between knocking on the roof and how that translates to a limited amount of casualties...
Original post by Fango_Jett
They would be pretty stupid if they did. Telling the enemy where you are going to hit is a good way to waste money on missiles.

So why spend money, time and effort launching these "knock on the roof" missiles?

Their guided missiles would be entirely useless against areas protected by Israel's Iron Dome system anyway? I'm not sure what you want here. Hamas is not going to get weapons easily with the sanctions and the Terrorist designation by various governments.

Any whines or lamentation about Israeli civilian casualties and/or Hamas rockets is rendered meaningless if it has been shown that Hamas, for the last few years at the very least, tended to go after military personnel and installations.

If they had the capability to guide their missiles, I'm sure they would avoid Israeli civilian casualties, as recent events have shown.

In regards to the designation, the UK has not proscribed Hamas a terror group and the EU is being forced to de-list Hamas because it's initial proscription was based on factual inaccuracy derived from propaganda media reports.

The only reason less civilians are being killed is because Israel widely segregates Israeli citizens from Palestinian reach, and because their Iron Dome system is doing such a great job protecting against Hamas rockets. If you think Hamas wouldn't hesitate to bomb Jewish civilians indiscriminately, you are more deluded than you look.

Seeing as the Iron Dome works so great, why doesn't Israel give the Gaza Strip the Iron Dome system so that Israel can limit it's massacres of Palestinian civilians?

It's hardly just Israel making a fuss about Iran. Iran has zero credibility in the eyes of the international community. This deal of theirs is being based on verification, not trust. The only reason the west even gives 2 craps about Iran is to get as much cheap oil as they can from it before proceeding to never look twice at it again. Then the corporations can get their claws in and extract as much cheap labour as possible.

You sound bitter that Iran is being brought in from the cold, much like Netanyahu, I dare say...

Yes because what Jewish leader wouldn't be concerned about a holocaust denying religious nutjob running a backwards country, which has the ability to build nuclear weapons in the future?

Your "Jewish leader" is a laughing stock. His paranoia and tantrum throwing is being mocked, even by the WH.

I certainly hope not.

I'd say that your hopes are in vain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KöniginderSchnee
Can't stand Cooper. Or Burnham. Or Kendall. Or Corbyn. They are all useless.

What are your political views? Maybe you should stand
Even the great Peter Hitchens wants Corbyn, I have very conservative views but current conservatives are making me sick.

Come on Corbyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do like how he flipped when he was called out. I don't see the issue with asking him questions on that topic. Tough **** if he doesn't like it. The more chodes like him throw their toys out of their prams, the more I enjoy the show.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I do like how he flipped when he was called out. I don't see the issue with asking him questions on that topic. Tough **** if he doesn't like it. The more chodes like him throw their toys out of their prams, the more I enjoy the show.

Krishnan was trivialising a very complex issue and when Jeremy smacked him down, he couldn't defend it and instead resorted to implying that Jeremy ruined their interview by taking so much time explaining himself....

The tide is changing for Israel and I won't be surprised if the entity known as Israel ceases to exist in 20-30 years time.

This is an interesting discussion in itself.

Certainly Europeans have always been hostile towards Israel, heck I honestly expect mass Arab acceptance of Israel before I expect mass European acceptance of it, however there is a definite dip in popularity within the American collective psyche; the US is a war weary nation which perceives itself to be decaying and sees Israel as an expensive military project it can no longer afford.

However.

Chinese, Indian and Russian acceptance of Israel is blooming; many of them see Israelis as being liberal academics and shrewed business people who defy constant bombardment from religious fanatics and would gladly trade with them
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Patrick2810
Krishnan was trivialising a very complex issue and when Jeremy smacked him down, he couldn't defend it and instead resorted to implying that Jeremy ruined their interview by taking so much time explaining himself....

You think Corbyn smacked him down? You're deluded. He was confronted about a previous quote of his and he tried to downplay it and then dismiss it as "tabloid journalism." He was called out and he threw a strop in response. I see nothing admirable about that.

In regards to the designation, the UK has not proscribed Hamas a terror group and the EU is being forced to de-list Hamas because it's initial proscription was based on factual inaccuracy derived from propaganda media reports.

The UK does indeed proscribe Hamas and has done since 2001. The ECJ's daft ruling is being appealed and in the meantime Hamas remains on the EU's blacklist.

Seeing as the Iron Dome works so great, why doesn't Israel give the Gaza Strip the Iron Dome system so that Israel can limit it's massacres of Palestinian civilians?

Ignoring the sheer lunacy of advocating giving advance technology away to a state that is controlled by your enemy, Hamas regularly hides fighters and weapons in civilian areas, and them having Iron Dome would only further encourage that.
(edited 8 years ago)
You think Corbyn smacked him down? You're deluded. He was confronted about a previous quote of his and he tried to downplay it and then dismiss it as "tabloid journalism." He was called out and he threw a strop in response. I see nothing admirable about that.

How do you expect him to react? Krishnan was asking if Jeremy considered Hamas his friends, when clearly Jeremy works hard for international diplomacy and peace talks.
Original post by Patrick2810
How do you expect him to react? Krishnan was asking if Jeremy considered Hamas his friends, when clearly Jeremy works hard for international diplomacy and peace talks.

He was referring to a previous quote of his though. It's not his fault if Corbyn doesn't like it being brought up in such a manner. Politicians are mostly pussies that don't like to be confronted. Most of them are cowards.
He was referring to a previous quote of his though. It's not his fault if Corbyn doesn't like it being brought up in such a manner. Politicians are mostly pussies that don't like to be confronted. Most of them are cowards.

He was upset about a journo being obtuse with him? That's politics, son. Corbyn wasn't used to it as he's been an absolute nobody in Parliament for 30 years. Only people licking his arse at the extremism events he frequents.

He's out of his depth if he throws his toys out the pram at a difficult interviewer.

What exactly do you think Corbyn should have done? Guru-Murthy kept interrupting him rather than letting him answer the question (when Corbyn actually got the opportunity to give his answer, he did). OK, there are slightly better ways of getting an interviewer to shut up and let you speak that more experienced interviewees would know, but at least Corbyn made an effort to stand his ground. If I was a Labour member, I wouldn't be voting for the party leader based on minor TV interview tactics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
He was upset about a journo being obtuse with him? That's politics, son. Corbyn wasn't used to it as he's been an absolute nobody in Parliament for 30 years. Only people licking his arse at the extremism events he frequents.

He's out of his depth if he throws his toys out the pram at a difficult interviewer.

I would like to see him get interviewed by Paxman.

Original post by anarchism101
What exactly do you think Corbyn should have done? Guru-Murthy kept interrupting him rather than letting him answer the question (when Corbyn actually got the opportunity to give his answer, he did). OK, there are slightly better ways of getting an interviewer to shut up and let you speak that more experienced interviewees would know, but at least Corbyn made an effort to stand his ground. If I was a Labour member, I wouldn't be voting for the party leader based on minor TV interview tactics.

Perhaps given a straight answer and not act like such a stroppy wuss. He didn't really stand his ground either. First and foremost, he was very quick to show agitation. Too quick in fact.
He is the perfect man for Labour, I never imagined myself signing up to the Labour Party but this man has given me much reason to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending