The Student Room Group

Share Your Worries About Going To Uni!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Daffodill
I'm scared about going to a club for a first time with my friends. I turned 18 three months ago and I've never been in one and I feel so embarassed and inadequate because of it I promise I'm not a weirdo or a loner :L

I'm going to university, I have a part time job, i have lots of friends who I've been on holiday with at concerts, gigs and festivals with

Most of them have never been to a club either but we're going soon and I'm scared.

I'm a bit shy/awkward so I don't feel comfortable dancing around people - are there many people at clubs who just stay seated or stand at the sides or around the bar without dancing or will I just look weird?
(I've heard firewater in Glasgow is good if you don't want to dance - is this true? is there anywhere else in glasgow like this?)

I want to drink a bit so I'll feel a more relaxed and comfortable but I really really really really don't want my mum and dad to know I've had a drink so I can't get drunk :frown:
- how much would you say I could drink but be sober enough for them not tonotice when I come home?I know I'm not fat but I'm really self conscious that I'm not skinny. I hate my thighs and knees so I hate the thought of short skirt/dresses with bare legs :frown: - is it ok to wear black tights in a club? do other people wear black tights in a club? :P
If not I guess I could wear high waisted jeans, heels and a fancy strappy top but i hate the tops of my thighs in jeans :L

any advice at all is really appreciated :smile: thnku v v v much :smile:

i'm in the exact same boat as you. i just turned 18 and i haven't been clubbing and i don't feel comfortable dancing around people as well. although i don't have much experience of clubbing, i think your over thinking stuff and you really have nothing to worry about. when it was my 18th birthday, my mum told me not to drink but i still drank a little and came back home fine but i'm not sure on how much one needs to drink to remain sober. you don't need to drink a lot to impress people, drink the amount you feel comfortable with. i don't think it's a good idea to literally plan when you're going to get drunk cos its like you're forcing yourself and putting yourself under pressure to get drunk.

in terms of what to wear, you don't need to worry about that too. wear whatever you like but make sure you look really nice (your friends should be able to give you a little a bit of advice on what to wear). like i said, i don't feel comfortable dancing around people but i find that if i have my friend around me, then i really don't care about the people looking, so if you intend to dance, dance with a group of friends and if you still don't feel comfortable, don't force yourself. i hope this helps :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by somemightsay888
I can't really cook too brilliantly and I don't wanna end up living on a diet of biscuits, yoghurt, cereal, toast and tea :rofl:

Either my food at home goes amazingly or really godawfully that I have to bin it all :lol:

i'm in the same boat too but what you should try and do it look up a few simple recipes online like spaghetti bolognese, pasta bake and baked potatoes or something, try to make them at home at least once before going off too uni. that's what i'm going to do. some people suggest knowing how to put stuff in the oven or microwave which is not bad but if you want to try to be healthy, i do suggest making cooked food and practice makes prefect :biggrin:
Reply 82
I can't really cook too brilliantly and I don't wanna end up living on a diet of biscuits, yoghurt, cereal, toast and tea :rofl:

Either my food at home goes amazingly or really godawfully that I have to bin it all :lol:

spag bol & frozen food that goes in the oven are pretty good.

my main tip would be: don't underestimate the stupidity of the people you're sharing your kitchen with. i got food poisoning in 2nd year because my idiot friend put his raw chicken on my cooked food :rofl:
Original post by kemi28
i'm in the same boat too but what you should try and do it look up a few simple recipes online like spaghetti bolognese, pasta bake and baked potatoes or something, try to make them at home at least once before going off too uni. that's what i'm going to do. some people suggest knowing how to put stuff in the oven or microwave which is not bad but if you want to try to be healthy, i do suggest making cooked food and practice makes prefect :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice lmao, I don't wanna be sticking to Pot Noodle :rofl: I tried cooking fried chicken and I did it well but I feel it's unrealistic at Uni, amirite or am I being daft? I can make basic baguettes etc but it seems dull. Ahh, I'll try to make a more intricate Pasta tomorrow, I can make basic sauce out of a bottle Pasta but sometimes I'd like summat with more in it :biggrin:
Original post by k3ro
spag bol & frozen food that goes in the oven are pretty good.

my main tip would be: don't underestimate the stupidity of the people you're sharing your kitchen with. i got food poisoning in 2nd year because my idiot friend put his raw chicken on my cooked food :rofl:

Oh **** lmao, I forgot about that! It's a shame mini fridges aren't allowed :frown: Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 84
Thanks for the advice lmao, I don't wanna be sticking to Pot Noodle :rofl: I tried cooking fried chicken and I did it well but I feel it's unrealistic at Uni, amirite or am I being daft? I can make basic baguettes etc but it seems dull. Ahh, I'll try to make a more intricate Pasta tomorrow, I can make basic sauce out of a bottle Pasta but sometimes I'd like summat with more in it :biggrin:

Oh **** lmao, I forgot about that! It's a shame mini fridges aren't allowed :frown: Thanks for the advice :smile:

Hahaha yeah be careful with the fridge. (In my case, it actually happened on the kitchen counter top... In retrospect it's pretty funny, whenever he pisses me off I remind him of the time he tried to kill me.)

P.S. No, i wouldnt say it's unrealistic to make fried chicken. one of my roomies in 1st year was always making elaborate food, the rest of us were jealous af. whereas i typically lived on things like this (Β£1 per pack hellyea).
if you're on a low budget, a money-saving tip would be to buy frozen meat (you can get a huuuge bag of frozen chicken for cheap from any supermarket).
Original post by k3ro
Hahaha yeah be careful with the fridge. (In my case, it actually happened on the kitchen counter top... In retrospect it's pretty funny, whenever he pisses me off I remind him of the time he tried to kill me.)

P.S. No, i wouldnt say it's unrealistic to make fried chicken. one of my roomies in 1st year was always making elaborate food, the rest of us were jealous af. whereas i typically lived on things like this (Β£1 per pack hellyea).
if you're on a low budget, a money-saving tip would be to buy frozen meat (you can get a huuuge bag of frozen chicken for cheap from any supermarket).

:rofl: You're near death experience has turned into a quality story. This food poisoning thing has actually got me worried :afraid: I completely forgot about other people being there lmao

Thanks for answering :biggrin: Ahh right, when I made it at home it was so strenuous and took so long to make, get right, cook, clear up, sit down and relax, it was so tiring :shock: Ohh, dem birdseyes tho :sexface: :sexface: They don't even look too bad!
I'm on Β£30 a week :frown: And...erm....Fallout and Battlefront come out during my Uni days so....yeah :ninja: That's gon be Β£60-70 on them, so even tighter than that really :eek: By bag of frozen chicken, do you mean it's just chicken squares or something in a bag :tongue: ?
Reply 86
:rofl: You're near death experience has turned into a quality story. This food poisoning thing has actually got me worried :afraid: I completely forgot about other people being there lmao

Thanks for answering :biggrin: Ahh right, when I made it at home it was so strenuous and took so long to make, get right, cook, clear up, sit down and relax, it was so tiring :shock: Ohh, dem birdseyes tho :sexface: :sexface: They don't even look too bad!
I'm on Β£30 a week :frown: And...erm....Fallout and Battlefront come out during my Uni days so....yeah :ninja: That's gon be Β£60-70 on them, so even tighter than that really :eek: By bag of frozen chicken, do you mean it's just chicken squares or something in a bag :tongue: ?

hahahah sorry, didn't mean to make you worry. if it makes you feel better, i gave myself food poisoning waaay more than i got it from others. :colonhash: (and it only happened once, because my friend was an idiot.)

Β£30 a week for everything or just for food? if the latter, that's not so bad! i spent Β£10 pw so i lived off tinned/packet/frozen food.

the bags of frozen chicken were chicken breasts (basically this, but you could also get stuff like this). for comparison, i think i paid something like Β£3.50 for a 1kg bag of frozen chicken, whereas 3 fresh chicken breasts (~450g) were Β£4.
tinned meat is even cheaper but... even i didn't sink that low, lol. it smells like dog food. don't do it.

p.s. i feel u on fallout. v excited
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by k3ro
hahahah sorry, didn't mean to make you worry. if it makes you feel better, i gave myself food poisoning waaay more than i got it from others. :colonhash: (and it only happened once, because my friend was an idiot.)

Β£30 a week for everything or just for food? if the latter, that's not so bad! i spent Β£10 pw so i lived off tinned/packet/frozen food.

the bags of frozen chicken were chicken breasts (basically this, but you could also get stuff like this). for comparison, i think i paid something like Β£3.50 for a 1kg bag of frozen chicken, whereas 3 fresh chicken breasts (~450g) were Β£4.
tinned meat is even cheaper but... even i didn't sink that low, lol. it smells like dog food. don't do it.

p.s. i feel u on fallout. v excited

Haha, I was just kidding :tongue: But ngl, I forgot about other people's stuff, guess I'll have to look after my own stuff better. Btw those Tesco steaks were very helpful, I forgot about own brand chicken etc and I don't think I have the ability to do anything fancy with it so I'll give those a go :tongue: Β£30 a week for everything unfortunately lol, I needed an En Suite room, I heard some horrific stories about the state of the toilets in communal blocks :afraid:

Urgh, tinned meat is a no go, I think I'd rather sacrifices my digestive system to Based God Pot Noodle than have that :yucky:

Yeahh man, I pre ordered the Pip Boy Edition too :awesome: From Amazon France :lolwut:

On the fried chicken front - I'm pretty sure we weren't allowed to deep fry in our uni kitchen. :frown: Though if you aren't living on campus you may be allowed to. I'm not sure about shallow-frying though...
Reply 89
Worried about things not getting better
Original post by Kathiye
On the fried chicken front - I'm pretty sure we weren't allowed to deep fry in our uni kitchen. :frown: Though if you aren't living on campus you may be allowed to. I'm not sure about shallow-frying though...

Haha, smh I look obsessed with chicken now :rofl: Oh yeah, I never took that into account, I'm not sure about deep fat frying at my Uni, if it isn't allowed I guess I'll have to get those birdseye mystery meats or shallow fry :biggrin: Either way, I just don't wanna be eating dull food I guess, it's such a minor worry I know :tongue:
Reply 91

you can buy the pasta sauce then add your own ingredients to it too, e.g. onions, peas, baby carrots, sweet corn etc. the great thing about cooking is that you can do whatever you like with it
Reply 92

you can buy the pasta sauce then add your own ingredients to it too, e.g. onions, peas, baby carrots, sweet corn etc. the great thing about cooking is that you can do whatever you like with it
Reply 93
I'm scared of being independent, leaving my home country and live alone in UK. I have social anxiety, I don't have any idea of what I want to be/do in the future. I am afraid to disappoint my parents who work really hard to pay my tution fee. I hate myself who can't even do part-time job because I am scared to talk to others. I have no idea how to pay bills, make bank account... because my parents always did for me. I know I have to change, but I am afraid to. Most pathetic thing is that I always dream to have cool uni life surrounded by nice friends.. haha.
Reply 94
I have a stammer and fear it will get in the way of basic communication when starting to meet new people
Reply 95
Original post by Erenne
I'm scared of being independent, leaving my home country and live alone in UK. I have social anxiety, I don't have any idea of what I want to be/do in the future. I am afraid to disappoint my parents who work really hard to pay my tution fee. I hate myself who can't even do part-time job because I am scared to talk to others. I have no idea how to pay bills, make bank account... because my parents always did for me. I know I have to change, but I am afraid to. Most pathetic thing is that I always dream to have cool uni life surrounded by nice friends.. haha.

I know exactly what you mean (apart from the moving country part) talking to people makes me so nervous. When I found out that I got into my first choice today I was mainly just happy because it meant I didn't have to contact any unis by phone - I am terrified of speaking on the phone.

I'm sure you'll adjust once there, and remember that going to uni is a life experience, not just teaching you about whatever subject you have applied for.

Good luck!
My worries seem to be growing each day. :frown:

1) I don't drink so depending on the people I end up with socializing might be hard, specially during freshers week.
2) I know how to cook eggs and noodles only.
3) I have never tried budgeting and since I will only be spending Β£30/35 a week to survive I am not sure if I will be alive or on the streets by the end of the year.
4) I am worried my flatmates will be noisy and dirty (shared kitchen). I don't want to be the guy telling people to keep it down or be clean, I'd feel like an idiot.
5) I'll fill in this one tomorrow. :colonhash:
Reply 97
Hey! So I got accepted into the university of bristol, but I won't turn 18 until the month after term starts. So I'm worried I won't be able to go into clubs or drink at all during fresher's week. Would they let me in even if I'm under 18? I live in Indonesia right now, so I'm not used to having people check ID's and whatnot
Reply 98
Original post by kararrr
Hey! So I got accepted into the university of bristol, but I won't turn 18 until the month after term starts. So I'm worried I won't be able to go into clubs or drink at all during fresher's week. Would they let me in even if I'm under 18? I live in Indonesia right now, so I'm not used to having people check ID's and whatnot

No you won't get let in. Sorry.
Reply 99
Original post by HassanD
My worries seem to be growing each day. :frown:

1) I don't drink so depending on the people I end up with socializing might be hard, specially during freshers week.

Contrary to what others say this does make life a lot harder. Won't stop you finding friends but it will take longer in obscure nerd clubs. I remember being in halls and being completely left out when everyone started drinking. You can't join because a) they are too drunk to talk and b) they are usually playing a drinking game which requires you drink. The drinking culture was one of the things I hated most about university. University sucks, don't go.

Quick Reply

Latest