The Student Room Group

I dont understand statistics!

I'm a 1st year student, and although I am really enjoying the course and finding it easy, i just dont understand and hate statistics!!! I got 11% out of 100% in my mid-term and am now quite worried. I get B's for all my other work. So my questions is will i be ok getting B's in everything else and not focusing on stats? Or do i have to also at least get a D in stats?

Reply 1
oh babe.....same here!!
i totally f**king hate statistics - its like the world is going to end...lol (hypocondriac)!! hehe!!

u wana pm me any time fine!! but yeh i get ur drift!! lol

think you need to focus on it to an extent!! it cannot be rejected from ur life....!!!
Reply 2
Seriously! statistics is the easiest topic in Maths, wait till you do Mechanics! Buy yourself a statistics text book and get Maths support (does ur Uni do it? it's definetly worth it!)
Reply 3
wait... there's no Mechanics in psychology, is there?? #zomg#
i'm freaked about the statistics as well, i really fear i won't be able to pass it - actually, any maths is a threat to me..
Reply 4
Statistics is the easiest part of maths as there really isn't any maths to it. All statistics is based on formulas. It's as simple as putting data into formulas and interpreting the answers.. I don't see why people think you need any math level at all. If you can write numbers and read, then statistics can be learnt.
Reply 5
oh my god!! i cant stand stats!! im so bad as i switch off as soon as i set foot into the lecture theatre which is sooooo bad!! such a naughty one i am !! and then worse still i am not liking this degree anymore god knows what it is!! im not enthusiastic and am so annoyed wiv moi!! thats where laziness gets ya!! so ppl WORK HARD AND OBVIOUSLY PLAY HARD!! :smile:
Reply 6
you need statistics for psychology,because if you don't do it now/fail it now,you're still going to meet it when you get to uni.also one requirement for psychology is maths,a pass at least from gcse's. better to know some stats now,than to go to uni and be a fool when it's even harder.
Reply 7
Some people who have replied obviously have a maths background, and i definitely haven't read anything about mechanics being a part of a psychology degree!

i can understand why stats would be hard if you haven't done it much before. Although from what I can gather it's an important part of the degree right up until the end, so i think it's important not to just give up on it. I would say you should work particularly hard at it if it's a weakness, but that's obviously easier said than done. I don't really know the stats content of a psych degree, but there must be some text books out there that can help you get your head around it.
Reply 8
stats is easier in uni because it's mostly done with a software that does most of the calculations,but you still need to know the basis and theory.mechanics isn't a part of psychology no. just you're better off if you know some stats before you start on a psychology degree because as NSW said,the stats carries right on till the end of the course
Reply 9
Barbiex
I'm a 1st year student, and although I am really enjoying the course and finding it easy, i just dont understand and hate statistics!!! I got 11% out of 100% in my mid-term and am now quite worried. I get B's for all my other work. So my questions is will i be ok getting B's in everything else and not focusing on stats? Or do i have to also at least get a D in stats?

As stats in part of the methodology module at herts, its worth taking the time to do as well as you can because methods is worth the most out of any of the modules you do. Remember notes are allowed in the exam. Dont take the lecture notes in, write out your own notes, order them, write formulas in words and practise practise practise. Once you get how to work something out it can easily be applied. THis is Jodie By the way. Feel free to come to me if you need help.
you can NOT take anything into the exam hall,no formulas etc! you will be expelled! in stats at uni,you don't have to know the formulas (maybe 1 or 2 max) because software is used to do most of the calculation,you just need to know the theory.at least at most unis i know anyways.
Reply 11
January Victim
you can NOT take anything into the exam hall,no formulas etc! you will be expelled! in stats at uni,you don't have to know the formulas (maybe 1 or 2 max) because software is used to do most of the calculation,you just need to know the theory.at least at most unis i know anyways.

You do not do psych at herts!!!! We are allowed notes in. Yes we use spss software to find answers out but you are required to know how to do it yourself as well.
:eek: you guys are suffering ;yes; we learn the formulas etc but we're not expected to know them,more like how to use it.
Reply 13
First of all I'd like to say I suck at maths, I can do simple things such as division, multiplication, subtraction and addition haha that's about it. I'm studying psychology and the stats are really nothing to worry about, if you know what all the statistical methods are and how you use them, you can easily employ them in research analysis. But to be honest, you don't really need to learn stats cause we got SPSS to do all the hard work for us! But you cannot leave stats out of the picture, because at Uni you need to pass research methods in order to get to the next level, it is a compulsory module and worth most of your marks of your degree. As others have said, get a stats book and have a read through.
Reply 14
Hiya!

I just wanted to say that I totally understand where your coming from. I mucked up my stats component in my undergrad degree and as a result I ended up with a crappy 2.2 (I failed-low 3rds-in some stats components, but I had 1sts and high 2.1s in other modules). So its important to learn the basics-even if they are a pain in the bum. I literally gave up when it came to stats and I have suffered academically for it. I wish I could go back and give myself a kick up the arse!

I ended up doing an MSc in Research Methods degree at UCL to clear up my stats anxieties! At UCL I was forced to understand virtually all the forumulas for each stats test (ahhhhhh!). Speaking from someone who is currently registered on a PhD, my advice would be to get hold of some dummy guides to stats and PRACTICE! Practicing with the forumuas and taking things really slowly really helps. I would just say, that at school, I was crap at maths, I was always placed in the bottom set and had to retake my maths grade to get a C (which I got!). There are some really excellent stats books out there which defines each aspect of the sum. Of the top of my head the Green and D'Olivera Learning to use statistical tests in psychology (I think thats the title!) was really an excellent book in working out how to stuff like ANOVA, T-Tests and the non parametric stats. Andy Field stats books are great too!

At UCL SPSS was a tiny component, as the course was geared to focus on understanding the stats part rather than relying on SPSS. I have to say, that as a group, although to begin with, we hated stats, it really helped us understand the SPSS and gave us all a clearer understanding in approaching experiments and understanding articles.

My advice would be to stick with the stats. It really does help when understanding your results and reading result papers in articles.Try and get as much one to one help as you can, get some dummy stats guides and practice or at least work through the examples. I really wished I had concentrated and spent time with the stats at undergrad, its what cost me my 2.1. As a 2.2 candidate I have had to really fight to get jobs and subsequently achieve postgrad degrees. If I got the 2.1, I probably wouldnt have had to fight as much as I have had to do!

Anyway, good luck with the stats part! Compared with MSc stats, undergrad stats is not that bad (honest!)

Feel free to PM me if you have any specfic questions. I subsequently passed with a high 2.1/merit my MSc stats part so have managed to redemn myself!

Latest