The Student Room Group

Disheartening video of homophobia on Russian streets

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
Considering you're the one making grammatical errors and unfounded arguments, I don't think I'm the one who needs to be educated pal, sorry.

Oh my goodness... such stupidity from one person is simply unparalleled.

Have you even met a single homosexual person? I've personally only met one EFFEMINATE (you illiterate fool) gay person. All others I know displayed zero characteristics of effeminacy.

The vast majority? Have you met the vast majority of gay men to reach that conclusion? I can't consider this anything else other than pure stupidity.

I'd personally consider you a weak person and a threat to society because you're uneducated (obviously) and are unlikely to contribute anything to society. How do you like that now?

Erm, by introduction of religion I mean Christanity of course, which became mainstraim shortly after. You obviously don't know that homosexuality was declared illegal by two emperors BECAUSE of religion. Who's the ignorant one in terms of world history now, you bafoon?

What past religion demonised homosexuality? You mean the ones held by Romans or Greeks? I won't even comment on that.

That aside, even some modern religions (including Christianity, depending on how it's interpreted) do not.

Alas, because religions demonise something it's necessarily wrong? Are you even serious? Christianity, in the OT, forbids people shaving their heads - it's because this is against the human spirit eh? Fool.

All in all, you have shown nothing - other than your blissful ignorance of course. I have debated with people against homosexuality and they at least made the effort to produce sound arguments. You? An absolute zero - just like your education levels.

LOL at thinking that the classical world directly links to the modern west in a linear way, and lol at thinking homophobia has only been common in Europe. You're a joke. And yes, the majority of gay men are effeminate, it's a well observed phenomenon, they live flamboyantly superficial and vacuous lives which is why they are worshiped in the superficial and vacuous culture of the modern west. Then again this also applies to the majority of straight guys in the west nowadays (the effeminacy), you're probably like this yourself and so can't even differentiate.
Original post by XcitingStuart
''

I have no time for arguing about definitions and word games. It's completely pointless. You manage to say absolutely nothing of substance every time.
Original post by NoJustNo
I have no time for arguing about definitions and word games. It's completely pointless. You manage to say absolutely nothing of substance every time.

Or you can't defend yourself.
Or you can't defend yourself.

There's nothing to defend against. You haven't actually attacked anything.
I do not say anything of substance?

Yet you make point after point after point, with no evidence and ill-founded explanations.

Does anyone else agree with this fool? He's pissed me off, by slighting me in such a way.

I'm not playing word games, it's like calling a table a pear, you [insert colourful word here.]

It's misleading.

Are you calling the table a pear in honour of the wood attached to a pear?

No, it would be a ******* idiotic thing to do (deliberate asterisks.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
LOL at thinking that the classical world directly links to the modern west in a linear way,

Erm, considering the fact that homosexuality has been taboo since then, you're naive to think it's doesn't have anything to do. Naive.

and lol at thinking homophobia has only been common in Europe. You're a joke.

Erm, where exactly did I say that? You're starting the strawman arguments now that you realise how weak you are eh? Who's the joke I wonder...

And yes, the majority of gay men are effeminate, it's a well observed phenomenon, they live flamboyantly superficial and vacuous lives which is why they are worshiped in the superficial and vacuous culture of the modern west.

No, simply no. You just associate effeminacy with someone being homosexual, which may be mostly correct. HOWEVER, many, many, many guys who are as "manly" as it gets are homosexual as well. It's just your little head that prevents you from comprehending this.

Stop using generalisations such as the "vast majority" when evidently you have met very few homosexuals. It makes you look more foolish than the absolute fool you are, and you definitely don't want that.

Then again this also applies to the majority of straight guys in the west nowadays (the effeminacy), you're probably like this yourself and so can't even differentiate.

Hahaha - "you're probably like this yourself"... I mean, you obviously know me very well to reach that conclusion eh? Nope... just like with your other "arguments", you're throwing the fallacies all around. Weakling.

And, finally, "most men in the west are like this"? What an idiot...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Reformed2010
These are dark times for human rights activists in Russia, and particularly those advocating for the LGBT community. A series of laws, including the requirement for NGOs receiving international funding to register as “foreign agents” in 2012 and a ban on gay “propoganda” the following year, have left organisations facing hefty fines and increasing marginalisation. A pervasive tone of homophobia has emboldened violent vigilantes...

[video="youtube;wgm3lb9JUU0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgm3lb9JUU0[/video]

Long may the European and American sanctions on Russia continue.

Why walk around the streets like that anyway? Obviously asking for trouble.
[insert colourful word here.]

Cringed irl
Cringed irl

I was going to say plonker or pleb, prioritising plonker, but I didn't want a card.

You continue to not pick apart anything I say.

"Since then" lol history is not some linear thing with a beginning and end, it goes in cycles, rises and falls. Using language likes this betrays an immature understanding of the world.

As for the rest your just saying "YEAH WELL NOT ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THIS SO YOUR WRONG" it's dumb, it doesn't change the general truth of it.
x

You're clearly where the word fool is etymologised from.
x

Instead of insulting yourself, can you actually argue anything I said? You keep ignoring it.
You're clearly where the word fool is etymologised from.

Epic
Instead of insulting yourself, can you actually argue anything I said? You keep ignoring it.

Write it out again not in a quote box and I might bother.
Reply 74
"Since then" lol history is not some linear thing with a beginning and end, it goes in cycles, rises and falls. Using language likes this betrays an immature understanding of the world.

What is so difficult to understand?

Homosexuality was fully accepted in Rome and Greece - then came the two emperors who made it illegal on the basis of Christianity, and when Christianity spread, it was depicted on society.

It's simple as that. You not getting this shows YOUR immaturity overall, stop trying to save yourself from humiliation.

As for the rest your just saying "YEAH WELL NOT ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THIS SO YOUR WRONG" it's dumb, it doesn't change the general truth of it.

Here it is, because you obviously lack the required education for such topics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization

Read it, and judge who's the dumb one around.

And "general truth of it"? Hahahaha what a loser... Jesus!!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Write it out again not in a quote box and I might bother.

But I was addressing each point you made? That would be counter-productive, and a waste of my time to reword each of your points or reconstruct my counterarguments, to stand alone.
What is so difficult to understand?

Homosexuality was fully accepted in Rome and Greece - then came the two emperors who made it illegal on the basis of Christianity, and when Christianity spread, it was depicted on society.

It's simple as that. You not getting this shows YOUR immaturity overall, stop trying to save yourself from humiliation.

Yep, immature, simplistic and shallow understanding of history. Thanks for demonstrating it further.

In case you didn't notice, the Roman Empire fell. It was overrun with barbarians who were not initially christians. Essentially these barbarians being the proto people of western culture, and they hated homosexuality even when pagans. There is not a continuous line from Ancient Greece to the modern day, this is a fallacy based on the fact the former influenced the latter. The classical world and the West (aka "Christendom") are separate civilisations and cultures.

And again, you haven't answered why Christianity and most other religions hated homosexuality. That in itself is a more important question.

Here it is, because you obviously lack the required education for such topics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization

Read it, and judge who's the dumb one around.

And "general truth of it"? Hahahaha what a loser... Jesus!!!!

LOL resorting to wikipedia to find some formal fallacy or whatever is low and shows you've lost the argument. And yeah, "general truth" ...hilarious.

Effeminacy in gay men is a well observed phenomenon - do you dispute this? I have no idea what you are even arguing at this point.
But I was addressing each point you made? That would be counter-productive, and a waste of my time to reword each of your points or reconstruct my counterarguments, to stand alone.

Then I can't be asked. I skimmed it and saw you said something like "Well women can be homosexuals too so..." when it's obvious I'm talking about male homosexuality and have been since the beginning. Cba to deal with these types of word game tricks, it's boring and pointless.
Reply 78
Yep, immature, simplistic and shallow understanding of history. Thanks for demonstrating it further.

"Thanks for demonstrating it further", said a 10yr old.

In case you didn't notice, the Roman Empire fell. It was overrun with barbarians who were not initially christians. Essentially these barbarians being the proto people of western culture, and they hated homosexuality even when pagans. There is not a continuous line from Ancient Greece to the modern day, this is a fallacy based on the fact the former influenced the latter. The classical world and the West (aka "Christendom":wink: are separate civilisations and cultures.

Oh my goodness... ignorance at its fullest!

Christianity, since you obviously have no idea, belongs to the classical world just as much as it belongs to the modern world. It has evolved, thankfully, but its core remains the same.

The fact that the Roman Empire fell doesn't change the sequence; there were homosexual marriages in Rome, and when the aforementioned emperors took the Old Testament as law, they made it illegal, which continued ever since through societal views and religion.

I don't get what's so difficult about this. It's as if you're claiming that the past has no effect on the present, which is beyond stupid.

And again, you haven't answered why Christianity and most other religions hated homosexuality. That in itself is a more important question.

What are you on about? I am the one who has to answer that? You used it as part of your argument, so it's your job to do that :facepalm:

Also, Christianity does not hate homosexuality. You claiming that only shows your ignorance. Just because Leviticus said in the bible that it's an abomination does not mean Christians have to follow that. Jesus said love everyone equally, so why not take that instead you hypocrite?

That aside, Leviticus also said, as I said before, that shaving your head is a sin. Do you want me to validate this as well? :facepalm:

LOL resorting to wikipedia to find some formal fallacy or whatever is low and shows you've lost the argument. And yeah, "general truth" ...hilarious.

Erm no... I'm showing you that you make NO argument at all. The fact that you didn't even know what argumentative fallacy this was only shows that you have no idea about what you're talking about. Is wikipedia your problem? Here you go then: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/101-hasty-generalization - http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html - https://logfall.wordpress.com/faulty-generalization/. Satisfied?

"General truth", for you, ="What I think is right so I'll just make it universal - no objection allowed!". Basically links back to the fallacy.

=You're so weak in arguing.

Effeminacy in gay men is a well observed phenomenon - do you dispute this? I have no idea what you are even arguing at this point.

Prove it through statistical and wide-reaching data then. Do you seriously expect me to take your word as if it's true, considering how biased you are? Have you ever argued before?

Such idiocy, truly.
(edited 8 years ago)
"Thanks for demonstrating it further", said a 10yr old.

Oh my goodness... ignorance at its fullest!

Christianity, since you obviously have no idea, belongs to the classical world just as much as it belongs to the modern world. It has evolved, thankfully, but its core remains the same.

The fact that the Roman Empire fell doesn't change the sequence; there were homosexual marriages in Rome, and when the aforementioned emperors took the Old Testament as law, they made it illegal, which continued ever since through societal views and religion.

I don't get what's so difficult about this. It's as if you're claiming that the past has no effect on the present, which is beyond stupid.

You are just too dense to understand anything. Everything you've said here is just repetition of stuff I've already disproven. Rome collapsed. Roman society and law collapsed. The population of the the Roman world was radically altered at it's collapse. There is no continuous link between rome and the modern world, just an influence in the same way Greek and Roman philosophers heavily influenced the Arab-Persian worl Your view is simplistic and ignorant in the extreme.

What are you on about? I am the one who has to answer that? You used it as part of your argument, so it's your job to do that :facepalm:

Also, Christianity does not hate homosexuality. You claiming that only shows your ignorance. Just because Leviticus said in the bible that it's an abomination does not mean Christians have to follow that. Jesus said love everyone equally, so why not take that instead you hypocrite?

That aside, Leviticus also said, as I said before, that shaving your head is a sin. Do you want me to validate this as well? :facepalm:

Christian, western culture and people has historically hated homosexuals. Are you really going to deny this? I never said anything about "needing to follow" anything. You just can't follow the argument.

no... I'm showing you that you make NO argument at all. The fact that you didn't even know what argumentative fallacy this was only shows that you have no idea about what you're talking about. Is wikipedia your problem? Here you go then: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/101-hasty-generalization - http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/hasty-generalization.html - https://logfall.wordpress.com/faulty-generalization/. Satisfied?

"General truth", for you, ="What I think is right so I'll just make it universal - no objection allowed!". Basically links back to the fallacy.

=You're so weak in arguing.

Prove it through statistical and wide-reaching data then. Do you seriously expect me to take your word as if it's true, considering how biased you are? Have you ever argued before?

Such idiocy, truly.

How can you "prove" that gay men are effeminate? How would that even be possible. It's a well observed phenomenon, you know it is. Your autistic brain might need to reduce everything into stats and graphs but that isn't the only way to communicate truth.

As for the "fallacies", I don't care. These are little tricks, not arguments.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending