The Student Room Group

Some problems regarding the Cambridge Extenuating Circumstances Form

Cambridge website offers a ECF form:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

My questions are:

1. Whose colleges, contact number and email address must be written? Mine or the teacher/doctor writing this form for me?

2. Can I send this form to Cambridge before I send the Ucas application since Ucas haven't opened yet?

Thanks.

Edit: Dear me, I have forgotten to mention that I have already sent them the COPA form(PS and related details are included in this form). This should work as well as the UCAS form.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
The college you are applying to. Let them know immediately. Also what subject will you studying? What was your offer? Call and speak to them also, what will they offer you as a result of your extenuating circumstances?
Reply 2
Original post by azita2008
The college you are applying to. Let them know immediately. Also what subject will you studying? What was your offer? Call and speak to them also, what will they offer you as a result of your extenuating circumstances?

Please do post what your original offer is and when extenuating circumstances are applied what is your new offer.
Reply 3
Original post by Dnel

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

My questions are:

1. Whose colleges, contact number and email address must be written? Mine or the teacher/doctor writing this form for me?

2. Can I send this form to Cambridge before I send the Ucas application since Ucas haven't opened yet?

Thanks.

1. There's an FAQ about the form but I can't link to it on mobile, give me a minute... edit to add: FAQ is for the SAQ - but you should read it too, http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

2. No. It is sent when you apply. i e. When you do your UCAS.

Edit: corrected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dnel

My questions are:

Thanks.

Hi, I submitted this as part of my application. You write the name of the Cambridge college and then put in the contact details of the person filling it in.
We sent mine at the same time as my UCAS application was sent as then the extenuating circumstances are considered in all parts of the application. Me and my teacher planned it so my UCAS form and this would get to the college on the same day.
Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dnel

My questions are:

Thanks.

The ECF is not something which if filled in by the candidate but by someone on your behalf. The write your name and details in the top section on the first page and their details and your school's details in the lower section. The ECF should be sent by email before the 15th October. I wouldn't ask for it to be sent it yet as the College won't have anywhere to put it and would have to hold on to it for weeks until you apply. The best thing to do is to wait until next academic year and submit around the same time as you apply through UCAS - your teacher should also consider mentioning the circumstances on your UCAS form for other universities to see.
Reply 6
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
The ECF is not something which if filled in by the candidate but by someone on your behalf. The write your name and details in the top section on the first page and their details and your school's details in the lower section. The ECF should be sent by email before the 15th October. I wouldn't ask for it to be sent it yet as the College won't have anywhere to put it and would have to hold on to it for weeks until you apply. The best thing to do is to wait until next academic year and submit around the same time as you apply through UCAS - your teacher should also consider mentioning the circumstances on your UCAS form for other universities to see.

Thanks a lot.

I have a medical condition and the form will be filled by my doctor.

Can the ECF be sent through postage to the college? It would be better for my doctor to write on it and verify it with his clinic official stamp. He can't stamp it on email.

Will sending it now disadvantage me in any way? They do have my COPA already, and therefore my PS and related details which I believe is enough for them to make an assessment along with my ECF.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dnel
Thanks a lot.

I have a medical condition and the form will be filled by my doctor.

Can the ECF be sent through postage to the college? It would be better for my doctor to write on it and verify it with his clinic official stamp. He can't stamp it on email.

Will sending it now disadvantage me in any way? They do have my COPA already, and therefore my PS and related details which I believe is enough for them to make an assessment along with my ECF.

That's all fine. It won't disadvantage you for Cambridge but are you applying to any other UK universities?
Reply 8
That's all fine. It won't disadvantage you for Cambridge but are you applying to any other UK universities?

Yes, but I don't think I will send them any extenuating form.
Reply 9

I would like to know: should I ask my referee to mention the ECF in the reference letter?
Original post by Dnel
I would like to know: should I ask my referee to mention the ECF in the reference letter?

Other UK universities do not use an Extenuating Circumstances Form so your referee could mention your circumstances in the reference. One UCAS reference and one UCAS personal statement are seen by all 5 universities you apply to so don't tailor these to fit Cambridge - there is space for an optional personal statement on the SAQ.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending