The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I use them just to avoid human contact.
Original post by candlejsra
Agreed! Maybe they should be restricted to 15 items or less?

With that being said, I've had customers come with a large trolley full and I'm standing there like :curious:

Dude some people are so inconsiderate! Sure'y it would be easier to just go to a cashier then smh :|
Reply 22
Original post by aamirac
Firstly the queues can be longer than the manned tills.
Secondly, most of the time they malfunction or mess up which requires someone to come and scan a card. Might as well just go to a manned till then?
Thirdly, most of the time they never scan the product at the correct price (especially if it's a sale item).
So I think they are pointless in that sense.

1. Yeah it can get quite busy but I suppose with all queues it depends on who's in front of you and how long they take
2. You'd be surprised, some of the time it is actually the customers fault the machines malfunction
3. never heard of this happening but surely the same would happen if you went to a manned till since the database is pretty much the same?
Reply 23
Original post by Mr Smurf
I use them just to avoid human contact.

What happens if you need assistance?

Hehe I had a thought that you might just run away before the member of staff came :smile:
Prefer them to going to the cashier tbh, apart from when I'm buying a lot of items
Reply 25
Original post by somemightsay888
I can't think of an alternative unfortunately; I'd just make it so that they aren't as erratic, can't tell you the times I've bagged something and it's not recognised and then the red lights start flashing :erm:

Hmmm...that sound a good idea tbh, the self checkouts are very small and are really just meant for baskets, but then you see people getting trolleys cos they cba to carry a basket.

So would if make more sense to have the scales less specific? For example, you buy a can of coke weighing 330g when you put it down the scale will allow for a variation of +/- 10g. I think there's already a system for this but the variation isn't as big because risk of thefts (accidental or intended). You might put an item down without scanning it because the system allows for the extra weight. I guess that's why the machines can be so temperamental. Shops decide to reduce potential theft over agitated customers and staff.
Reply 26
Original post by localblackguy
Prefer them to going to the cashier tbh, apart from when I'm buying a lot of items

Have you ever had any problems with using them? Or do you know how to use them proficiently?
I don't really like them because something invariably goes wrong and I end up needing to see an assistant anyway.

I also find them more stressful for buying age restricted products, and they swallow all my small change (say I wanted to buy something that was 20p and paid all in coppers; if I went a penny or so over they don't seem to want to give the change back) They encourage stealing too, as I know of people who cheat the system to not scan certain items (and openly boast about it, too)

That said, self-service is good for small transactions.
Reply 28
Original post by 1338
I like them because it makes buying condoms much less awkward :colondollar:

Lol, what about when the member of staff has to open the security tag?

This reminds me of an event from when I was working on self-service and this guy had a pack of condoms with the security tag on them. I went over and said "I'm just gonna go open this", referring to the security tag and he said "No, not here! Wait till later".

Awkward.
Original post by alexschmalex
I thank the Lord for their existence. Although when people bring 2 baskets of stuff to them it is infuriating

There are people who bring trolleys of stuff and use them. :s-smilie:

I seem to remember one of them IDing me for alcohol free beer. Seriously?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you ever had any problems with using them? Or do you know how to use them proficiently?

I've been using them for god knows how long, so I can use them with my eyes closed. They work differently in different countries, but overall I've had no significant problem using them that wasn't either solved by a staff member in a few mins, or solved by me just going to the machine beside it.
Reply 31
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I don't really like them because something invariably goes wrong and I end up needing to see an assistant anyway.

I also find them more stressful for buying age restricted products, and they swallow all my small change (say I wanted to buy something that was 20p and paid all in coppers; if I went a penny or so over they don't seem to want to give the change back) They encourage stealing too, as I know of people who cheat the system to not scan certain items (and openly boast about it, too)

That said, self-service is good for small transactions.

The worst part about this is when they get caught and pretend like it was an accident.

I'm wondering if this whole pretending to scan affects the scales and weights of items? How do the machines know what weighs how much? Are they weighed prior to going on the shelves or do the machines have to learn and remember what weighs what.

For example, If one customer puts down a loaf of bread and chocolate bar but only scans the loaf of bread, does the machine assume the loaf of bread now weighs a bit extra and thus all subsequent loaves of bread will now come up with 'unexpected item' because the weight of the chocolate bar is no longer there.

(working on self-service means I have a lot of time to think about these things haha)
Reply 32
Original post by OU Student
There are people who bring trolleys of stuff and use them. :s-smilie:

I seem to remember one of them IDing me for alcohol free beer. Seriously?!

Yeah this would probably happen on a manned till as well though tbh.

Last week I got a notification on checkouts requesting customer ID for spoons!!
Yeah this would probably happen on a manned till as well though tbh.

Last week I got a notification on checkouts requesting customer ID for spoons!!

Actually, given some of the stories I've heard about the stuff people being ID'd for, it wouldn't surprise me.

ID for spoons? WTF?
Reply 34
They are a lot better than the manned tills in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by 1338
lol I'm hoping he was joking :biggrin:

I've never seen a security tag on the ones I get :s-smilie: Was he buying a pack of like 20 or something?

I'm sure it was just a harmless joke but I am definitely more careful with my choice of words now.

Haha I can't remember now, think it was just a regular 12 pack. Maybe it's just certain stores with tagged condoms.
I love using them :colondollar: But it is so annoying when they mess up for no reason. I could be scanning a packet of crisps and it comes with a message saying assistance needed
Unless the queues at the till are ridiculously long, I'll try and avoid the self-service checkouts. Hearing things like 'please place items in the bagging area' and 'unexpected item in the bagging area' really do my head in
So would if make more sense to have the scales less specific? For example, you buy a can of coke weighing 330g when you put it down the scale will allow for a variation of +/- 10g. I think there's already a system for this but the variation isn't as big because risk of thefts (accidental or intended). You might put an item down without scanning it because the system allows for the extra weight. I guess that's why the machines can be so temperamental. Shops decide to reduce potential theft over agitated customers and staff.

I guess there's no way to make it better then :frown: But regardless, it's just a minor inconvenience tbf. It's more do with the incessant pestering to bag the item :mob: This only happens with Morrison's checkout anyway :tongue: Their ones are terrible and you feel like a nob when the alarm bell rings and your indicator flashes up red cos you've done something wrong :rofl:
Till: "Thank you for using Sainsbury self check out"
Me: "Shut up and die annoying voice"

Latest