The Student Room Group

Unemployment is rising!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Burford99
Do I actually care about your dad's company? Not really, I'm here to talk about the 2m+ more people in work, the recent 3% rise in wages in real terms, low inflation and recent economic growth outstripping inflation. This is in addition to the strengthening position of the pound sterling, the recent IFS forecasts that there will be a fiscal surplus by 2020, and higher living standards.

My dad's? :s-smilie:

Care to explain that? Are you having a bad day...?

Brewdog introduced the Living Wage last October, so has contributed to that 3%.

Low inflation? Are you kidding me!>? How did the Tories cause oil prices to more than halve over the last year?!

The pound has weakened over the last year against the greenback...

There was supposed to be a fiscal surplus this year remember?
Reply 61
Original post by SotonianOne
No one has claimed that so that is a pointless thing to say.

Well you said the unemployment rise was due to the rise in NMW, then when challenged said you meant the new living wage....
So, yes, someone has claimed that (you)
Original post by Burford99
Do I actually care about your dad's company? Not really, I'm here to talk about the 2m+ more people in work, the recent 3% rise in wages in real terms, low inflation and recent economic growth outstripping inflation. This is in addition to the strengthening position of the pound sterling, the recent IFS forecasts that there will be a fiscal surplus by 2020, and higher living standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33437115

From £7.20 now, to £9 in 2020. Don't mislead people.

And that's why I said "starts". Read the entire post.
Also, living wage is calculated using tax credits, so cutting tax credits will require a raise in minimum wage, a bigger one than the Tories' policy states. In London, it would have to go up to nearly £12 in 2020! In the rest of the UK, it would go up to £10 in 2020.

Original post by Quady
Gotta source...?

UK Average salary is 26 500

UK house composition is 2.36 adults per house

Therefore UK average salary before tax is higher than 40k which is the cut-off point for being better off in privatisation
Reply 64
Original post by Quady
My dad's? :s-smilie:

Care to explain that? Are you having a bad day...?

Brewdog introduced the Living Wage last October, so has contributed to that 3%.

Low inflation? Are you kidding me!>? How did the Tories cause oil prices to more than halve over the last year?!

The pound has weakened over the last year against the greenback...

There was supposed to be a fiscal surplus this year remember?

1) Why do I care about Brewdog? Is the whole economy dependent on their actions or something?

2) Don't be ignorant. We both know that the current low inflation isn't only down to oil prices. In fact, if it weren't for oil prices slipping, we would be at about 2% inflation, as we were in 2014. That's the BoE target by the way.

3) Due to low wage rises, which are now increasing. Also due to the US economy recovering later than ours did. Low interest rates have meant that the pound has been made weaker, yet have made our economy stronger. We are also tied to the Euro in a way that the US is not.

4) Source? The Tories or the IFS?
Original post by Quady
Well you said the unemployment rise was due to the rise in NMW, then when challenged said you meant the new living wage....
So, yes, someone has claimed that (you)

I never said that. Learn English.
Original post by asmuse123
Also, living wage is calculated using tax credits, so cutting tax credits will require a raise in minimum wage, a bigger one than the Tories' policy states. In London, it would have to go up to nearly £12 in 2020! In the rest of the UK, it would go up to £10 in 2020.

> Using guardian as a "source"

> the minimum wage isn't even correctly marked on the "source"

> living wage calculated magically

this country has no inflation

the minimum wage is rising faster than inflation

by 2020 the minimum wage will be above the "living wage" as per 2015 figures
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67

Essentially, the minimum wage will be closer to the living wage than it has ever been, while the country as a whole will be fiscally more stable. Where's the issue?

The gap between Labour's promised wage of £8ph and the living wage is about 12.5% (assuming it'd be at £9ph without tax credit cuts, which is debatable given the current low inflation).
The gap between the Tories' £9ph minimum wage and the £10ph living wage you quote is 11.1%.

Cutting inequality since 2010. (http://www.libdemvoice.org/income-inequality-at-its-lowest-since-1986-a-good-result-for-the-liberal-democrats-in-government-35263.html)
(edited 8 years ago)
> Using guardian as a "source"

> the minimum wage isn't even correctly marked on the "source"

> living wage calculated magically

this country has no inflation

the minimum wage is rising faster than inflation

by 2020 the minimum wage will be above the "living wage" as per 2015 figures

Can you not read the graph? Have you not done statistics? Anyway, as the economy "recovers" (only the rich will recover), inflation will rise, yet the minimum wage will remain the same. Also, as tax credits are cut, the cost of living will be more than the minimum wage.
Can you not read the graph? Have you not done statistics? Anyway, as the economy "recovers" (only the rich will recover), inflation will rise, yet the minimum wage will remain the same. Also, as tax credits are cut, the cost of living will be more than the minimum wage.

sorry i didnt know you are precognitive
sorry i didnt know you are precognitive

You do realise history repeats itself? And one reason is because, unfortunately, most of our "leaders" are like you. And so, we'll have recession after recession as we plunge people into debt to ensure the rich still have their millions and billions while everyone else is controlled and kept dormant by debt.
The majority of households in this country have income of 40k or above before tax.

Where do you live?
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
Where do you live?

My user display name is sort of a clue..
You do realise history repeats itself? And one reason is because, unfortunately, most of our "leaders" are like you. And so, we'll have recession after recession as we plunge people into debt to ensure the rich still have their millions and billions while everyone else is controlled and kept dormant by debt.

no one is asking you to have debt
My user display name is sort of a clue..

I have no idea still
no one is asking you to have debt

You do realise that many poor people who live in debt, have debt to ensure they have money to pay for food, housing and bills?
You do realise that many poor people who live in debt, have debt to ensure they have money to pay for food, housing and bills?

downsize and search for cheaper tariffs?

debt fuels debt
Reply 77
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Its clearly the scroungers fault!

Much as I think you're an unremitting dunderhead, I thank you for posting that clip which I haven't seen in many years. It raised a smile.
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
I have no idea still

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sotonian
Economic incompetence from Gideon? Who would have thought!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending