The Student Room Group

Which tattoo sounds better?

Inb4 'if you don't know what you want you shouldn't get a tattoo' - I've considered two ideas for a while now but can't decide between them. I'd like one of them at some point but I'm not running out to get them tomorrow, just looking for an opinion :smile:

The first is a rib tattoo with the words, 'The stories we love best do live in us forever'.
Pros:
- I like it(!)
- I'd consider myself more a 'words' person than pictures or symbols, and the quote means a lot to me (aka massive nerd)
- Although the tattoo is directed at Harry Potter, it can apply to other things should I want it to
- It's easy to cover up if needed, yet I can also show it

Cons:
- I've heard to stay away from rib tattoos, particularly as a first-timer, as they're the most painful
- Although I can choose to show it, it'll be covered up pretty much 99% of the time

The second consideration is the Deathly Hallows symbol on the back of my leg, just above the heel.
Pros:
- It's the one I've considered for the longest time, and have never doubted
- Again, it can be covered, but I'll be able to show it much more easily than the rib tattoo
- It'll be considerably less painful

Cons:
- It would be hard to cover in summer (obviously I want it to be visible, but I want to be able to cover it if needed)

Which seems like the best out of the two? Of course it's a personal decision but I just feel like an outside opinion would help :smile: Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
I've never read Harry Potter but I personally prefer the first one. Only thing I'd say is that the phrase sounds a bit... clunky, to me. If that makes sense? It flows better without the 'do'. I suppose that's some sort of quote though.

But yeah, the first definitely sounds better imo. The pain is something to consider but I don't think that should be a deciding factor. It won't last that long and if you're happy with your tattoo afterwards then I'm sure you'll think it was worth it :smile:
Original post by mogwai98
I've never read Harry Potter but I personally prefer the first one. Only thing I'd say is that the phrase sounds a bit... clunky, to me. If that makes sense? It flows better without the 'do'. I suppose that's some sort of quote though.

But yeah, the first definitely sounds better imo. The pain is something to consider but I don't think that should be a deciding factor. It won't last that long and if you're happy with your tattoo afterwards then I'm sure you'll think it was worth it :smile:

Yeah, I thought that about the 'do' but it's the actual line from the book. It's something to consider but I think I'd feel weird having a 'wrong' quote.
I suppose the pain's temporary so it shouldn't matter, just didn't want to chicken out and end up with half a tattoo :tongue:
Thanks for your help!
Original post by theworstusername
Yeah, I thought that about the 'do' but it's the actual line from the book. It's something to consider but I think I'd feel weird having a 'wrong' quote.
I suppose the pain's temporary so it shouldn't matter, just didn't want to chicken out and end up with half a tattoo :tongue:
Thanks for your help!

Ah yeah, you don't really want to change the quote.
No problem :smile:
First one. The deathly hallows is one I've been considering for a while but it's been SO overdone lately and something that is a reference to Harry Potter without being explicit is nice.

Also if you decide when you're older that the hype over Harry Potter was too much - you're not constantly, blatantly being reminded of it. (Though people should DIE with Harry Potter in their hearts - I don't see how anyone can dislike it. :unimpressed:)

As for it hurting - all tattoos hurt. Mine was on the top of my foot and people were like 'ohhh you're brave' (and I'm not amazing with pain) and I was fine. Just take something to take your mind off it - don't talk a lot to your tattooist whilst they're working, most find it annoying rather than friendly cos well, they're trying to work...

Enjoy! :smile:
-Although the first one is kind of cool, one wouldnt necassarily relate it to Harry Potter, i think. Therefore I think the deadly hallows tatoo is a way better choose, if you want people to draw this connection. Otherwise I would go with the first. You dont know whether you like Harry Potter in 20 Years, but the Tatoo will last...

Quick Reply

Latest