The Student Room Group

How will uni view this, distinction changed to ungraded ?

OK, someone fancy having a crack at this for me please...

I've recently completed my access to HE course successfully.

The course was spread over 2 years, in the first year I managed 24 credits at distinction and 3 at merit.

In the second year, I managed 21 credits at distinction and another 3 at merit. A further 3 modules at "ungraded/achieved" 3 credits each takes my total to 60 credits.

However, due to college changing the awarding body after the first year, it means that some of the earlier year assignments are now technically "ungraded" but of course they're still worth the 3 credits each.

This results in me losing out one of my distinctions (and a merit) from my first year due to them being changed.

I have my certificate from first year which shows all my first year grades, and now a letter from my college which details ALL of my grades including all of the distinctions. These have both been scanned and submitted to the uni as requested.

My concern is now that the uni will view this as me only having a total 42 at distinction, this doesn't stop me from being accepted, but I was hoping for 45 distinction credits in order to qualify for an excellence scholarship.

It's for University of Liverpool by the way,

Anyone got any thoughts on which way this might go ???
Good grief! This sounds like one of those nightmare scenarios that you'd think would only ever be a hypothetical situation.

I completely understand your concern, since I had the same worry during the course itself this year - I need(ed) 45 distinctions for a scholarship rather than entry (Uni of Kent). I didn't know what to say when people asked me earlier in the year if I'd already secured the grades I needed at that point ("yes...but no.":wink:

The "spirit of the law" interpretation would be that at the time you secured the credits, you got them at distinction, therefore you qualify. The "letter of the law" interpretation would be that you've only got 42 credits at distinction, therefore you don't. In practice... I don't know. I would think that if your first year certificate says 24 @ distinction and your second year results say 21 @ distinction, then 24 + 21 = 45 = scholarship, please!

The only practical advice I can offer is to contact your uni and your college to see if they can resolve this one for you. Does seem a bit weird that they (your college) can change your awarding body half way through. Did this issue not come up at any point in discussion during the transition or the second year?

Sorry if this is no help at all, but you certainly have my moral support on this one. (As worthless as that may be!)
Reply 2
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Good grief! This sounds like one of those nightmare scenarios that you'd think would only ever be a hypothetical situation.

I completely understand your concern, since I had the same worry during the course itself this year - I need(ed) 45 distinctions for a scholarship rather than entry (Uni of Kent). I didn't know what to say when people asked me earlier in the year if I'd already secured the grades I needed at that point ("yes...but no.":wink:

The "spirit of the law" interpretation would be that at the time you secured the credits, you got them at distinction, therefore you qualify. The "letter of the law" interpretation would be that you've only got 42 credits at distinction, therefore you don't. In practice... I don't know. I would think that if your first year certificate says 24 @ distinction and your second year results say 21 @ distinction, then 24 + 21 = 45 = scholarship, please!

The only practical advice I can offer is to contact your uni and your college to see if they can resolve this one for you. Does seem a bit weird that they (your college) can change your awarding body half way through. Did this issue not come up at any point in discussion during the transition or the second year?

Sorry if this is no help at all, but you certainly have my moral support on this one. (As worthless as that may be!)

no you're spot on mate, it's one of them no clear answer, as it's not really a clear question, the thing that's really bugging me is we don't get the second year certificate until mid-august, and I'm guessing that's going to be the best way of interpreting it, because that'll either have all the grades under the new award body (so I lose) or it'll just have the second year grades that I can add to last years certificate (so I "win")

don't even get me started on our college, they waited for us all to enrol on a one year access course and then changed it to a two year one on the first week of attendance !!

either way, I'm in uni, so a scholarship would be a pleasant bonus, I'll just take whatever happens I guess

thanks for the reply !
If you can afford to go either way, then I guess you'll just have to roll with it and see what happens. My scholarship money will be a major boost for me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed nothing goes wrong on any technicalities now.

I have no idea how I would've reacted if my college changed my course to a 2-year version, but swearing and threats of lawsuits would have featured, I'm sure! Anyway, good luck - hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest