The Student Room Group

BSc Biomedical Science....

Hello,I'm wondering what careers does this course lead to and what's it's process. ?
Original post by Uz25
Hello,I'm wondering what careers does this course lead to and what's it's process. ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3441777

That thread may help, it's mine to help people in your position understand their options better. :smile:

Basically the course leads to (if it's accredited by the IBMS) registration as a biomedical scientist in the NHS or privately. You work in labs with patient samples and help diagnose diseases leading to a better prognosis for people.

Or like me you can go into research and do a PhD, others apply for graduate entry medicine.
Biomed is a very flexible degree though, you can do a lot of things with it when you graduate. It has breadth of knowledge, which, unlike a biochemistry degree is slightly more focused on depth of knowledge.
Eg biomed teaches you about microbiology, virology, disease mechanisms, drug design, pharmacology, therapeutics, cell biology, haematology, histopathology, clinical biochemistry, immunology etc. a huge variation of things to learn.

I hope that helps!
Original post by Bagsworth
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3441777

That thread may help, it's mine to help people in your position understand their options better. :smile:

Basically the course leads to (if it's accredited by the IBMS) registration as a biomedical scientist in the NHS or privately. You work in labs with patient samples and help diagnose diseases leading to a better prognosis for people.

Or like me you can go into research and do a PhD, others apply for graduate entry medicine.
Biomed is a very flexible degree though, you can do a lot of things with it when you graduate. It has breadth of knowledge, which, unlike a biochemistry degree is slightly more focused on depth of knowledge.
Eg biomed teaches you about microbiology, virology, disease mechanisms, drug design, pharmacology, therapeutics, cell biology, haematology, histopathology, clinical biochemistry, immunology etc. a huge variation of things to learn.

I hope that helps!

I'm aware of the lab based careers it could lead to, but I'd like to know the non lab based careers it could lead to. The idea of a physiologist appeals me . The biomedical science course seems very interesting.

I'll look at your thread now. 😀😀😀😀😀
Original post by Uz25
I'm aware of the lab based careers it could lead to, but I'd like to know the non lab based careers it could lead to. The idea of a physiologist appeals me . The biomedical science course seems very interesting.

I'll look at your thread now. 😀😀😀😀😀

I don't know if a biomedical science degree could lead to a career as a physiologist but you could then apply to the NHS STP in cardiac physiology, although biomedical science is classed as a Life Science so unless you want to remain in a lab or pursue research then it may not be for you. You can do other non-lab based jobs that require a science degree but will be more clerical/admin like journal copyeditor or any sort of graduate job but a physiologist is a specific career and until recently, you had to take a clinical physiology undergraduate degree, I don't know what the path is now though :s-smilie:
I don't know if a biomedical science degree could lead to a career as a physiologist but you could then apply to the NHS STP in cardiac physiology, although biomedical science is classed as a Life Science so unless you want to remain in a lab or pursue research then it may not be for you. You can do other non-lab based jobs that require a science degree but will be more clerical/admin like journal copyeditor or any sort of graduate job but a physiologist is a specific career and until recently, you had to take a clinical physiology undergraduate degree, I don't know what the path is now though :s-smilie:

I've realised that doing the biomedical science undergraduate is only useful for people that would prefer to go into something lab based/ become a scientist. I use to consider becoming a biomedical scientist but my skin is sensitive and has skin problems and working with chemicals 24/7 will irrigate it or make it summt.

I want to do a degree which is specific and leads you into specific career. I like the idea of helping people and finding out about cures etc. The thing is the biomedical science course is VERY competative,unless you go down the Master and PHD route which i'm not a big fan off. The maximum i'd go into is most likely a Masters.

I'm so confused and have to apply for uni this year! I'm considering: Biomedical science, nutrition and dietetics and Primary Education.

If only ......................... :frown: / :smile:

I've realised that doing the biomedical science undergraduate is only useful for people that would prefer to go into something lab based/ become a scientist. I use to consider becoming a biomedical scientist but my skin is sensitive and has skin problems and working with chemicals 24/7 will irrigate it or make it summt.

I want to do a degree which is specific and leads you into specific career. I like the idea of helping people and finding out about cures etc. The thing is the biomedical science course is VERY competative,unless you go down the Master and PHD route which i'm not a big fan off. The maximum i'd go into is most likely a Masters.

I'm so confused and have to apply for uni this year! I'm considering: Biomedical science, nutrition and dietetics and Primary Education.

If only ......................... :frown: / :smile: p.s. there's this other undergraduate course i can do called Medical Physiology and Therapeutics but i'm confused to what careers that lead to o.O
hi i was wondering if doing a biomedical science degree could allow me to study nutrition/dietetics at postgraduate

Quick Reply

Latest